Compare please...which is better?

remydiva

If the two companies operations on the Mississippi compare to the Columbia/Snake the winner is hands down American Queen Steamboat Co! The base fares are less expensive on American Queen, although the least expensive rooms on the AQ are smaller. When I was on the AQ last Christmas time certain shore-side venues were free to AQ passenger as part of AQSC's hop on hop off bus program while the passengers on the QUEEN OF THE MISSISSIPPI had to pay their own admission fees. Also we had access to some sites that were not open to American Cruise Line passengers.

Then. there's the fact -- although it might not be important to you -- that American Queen is an authentic replica of a steam-powered paddlewheeler, in the same style that Mark Twain sailed (although modernized -- and more safe).

American Cruise Lines' boats are closer in style to ocean-going cruise ships, are diesel powered,and the paddlewheel is "fake", just dragging along and turning by the water as the boat moves.

I haven't sailed ACL, so I can't compare food, excursions, ambiance, entertainment, etc. I can say the entertainment on AQ is outstanding, the food is excellent, the riverlorian is fantastic and the beds are comfortable.

American Cruise Lines' boats are closer in style to ocean-going cruise ships, are diesel powered,and the paddlewheel is "fake", just dragging along and turning by the water as the boat moves.

No, the paddlewheel is not fake. Although it can only provide something like 2 mph to the boats speed. The main propulsion are Z-drives. But anyhow the AQ has Z-drives too but a real steam engine to propel the paddlewheel.

steamboats