Never booking far in advance again.

stevex

It can definitely go either way, I'd say it's a gamble to wait.

We booked over 1.5 yrs out for a GV, because they can go fast and there are only 2 per sailing. We didn't want to risk losing the room, so price was second to getting a specific stateroom.

On another upcoming cruise, we booked as soon as we knew we wanted to take it. It's in May and I'm not sure what will happen with the price. Our final payment is due March 1. Yesterday, I tried to upgrade us to a PH w/large balcony...it is sold out.

On a cruise 2 years ago....my wife heard about the cruise from a radio ad. I checked it out, but didn't book right away. Two weeks later, when I went to book it, it was about 30% more. I booked right away. I checked later and it had gone up another 20% the week after we booked. My guess is that the radio ad sold a LOT of the rooms, so there was no incentive to cut the price.

If you go with a less popular cruise, then it should be more likely to have last minute discounts. If you go with a popular cruise, there is less of a chance for last minute discounts.

Your room preference plays heavily into the wait or don't wait decision. If you don't care what room you get, I imagine you can get a last minute deal on almost any sailing. If you want a particular room category or location on the ship, I would suggest booking in advance.

Think of it this way: If you are satisfied with the price of a cruise, then book it. It doesn't matter what NCL does later, to fill rooms. As long as you were satisfied with your price when you booked it, then you are in good shape. If the cruise lines could not discount rooms to fill the ship, they would need to raise prices to cover the empty cabins....which would mean it would cost all of us more to cruise. It's simple supply and demand.

If I lived near a cruiseport, had flexible dates, and didn't care about a specific stateroom location, and was willing to gamble on promos (OBC, etc.), I'd ABSOLUTELY wait until the last minute for the best prices.

Alas, I book early because:

• I need to book airfare and last minute airfare can be a huge gamble
  • I sometimes want to nab a great promo (like the current one, which isn't always available)
  • I want to make sure any excursions I want are available
  • I LOVE to plan, and the anticipation, and having firm reservations helps me do that
  • I like the latitudes bonus points for booking 9 months or more in advance

With holidays and spring break, it's a HUGE gamble to wait until last minute if you have any parameters. Sorry it's not paying off for you. I remember being on the flight to our first cruise and hearing people talk about what they paid. It was depressing, as it was our honeymoon and we paid way more than most people. That was before places like this and I had no clue how much it could fluctuate.

FTR, I'd welcome other early booking promos, too (e.g., match any OBC offers that pop up between booking and cruising).

Depends on cruise, date and ship for sure. But I have watched the Breakaway pricing regularly for past 16 mths or so and, unless it is a major holiday sailing, prices have dropped substantially on that ship a month or so before each sailing. So, if you are local in the NY area, early booking on the BA typically doesn't pay off.

I think it also depends on ports of call.

My cruise on the Dawn to Bermuda this year hasn't barely budged from when we booked it last year. My cruise on the Breakaway, on the other hand, has already dropped and we only booked that one last month.

I think it also depends on ports of call.

My cruise on the Dawn to Bermuda this year hasn't barely budged from when we booked it last year. My cruise on the Breakaway, on the other hand, has already dropped and we only booked that one last month.

I'd say that that is more caused by the size of the ship than the itinerary - NCL has a lot more trouble getting megaships sold out than smaller ships, that's why there was a lot of these threads when Breakaway first came out as people were outraged as their top-dollar inaugural season cruises were discounted as last minute sales already back then.

Learned my lesson this time.

We're sailing on the Breakaway in March, and booked a year ago.

Today I can book the same cruise, same category on ncl.com for about $1200 less, and that includes the UBB, so about $2000 less.

I know it makes sense for NCL to lower prices and offer incentives to fill up the ship, but it sure punishes people for planning in advance. Shouldn't NCL be trying to encourage people to book in advance?

I'd be happier if they'd throw us a bone, like some discounted entertainment or bonus OBC or something, but I called in to ask and the answer was "no".

So, lesson learned, wait until a month before cruising to book.

Steve,

For everyone that gets a better deal a month out, about 3 people pay more or do not get a decent cabin selection. Yes, there is that possibility you will end up paying more by booking early; that is the gamble. We booked our upcoming cruise almost a year out (unusual for us to book that far in advance) anyway about 6 months ago the prices shot way up, I was happy we booked early; then about a month or so ago, the prices dropped. We were able to get upgraded to a much better cabin for no more money. We were lucky...The ship could have been sold out; it does happen.

You can wait to book and then pay double air farr. How would you like that? If you book a hotel and the rate goes down you probably wouldn't even know it and 99% of the time the hotel will not adjust the price anyway.

My advise, watch rates up to final payment time, then forget it. Remember you must have been happy with the original price or you wouldn't have booked in the first place. The second ofption, get a good travel agent, if you see a big price drop let them know, the have more clout than you, as an individual have. Remember they do not charge for their services except maybe a few $$s.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I always book early - and more often than not, that means that I get the cabin I want for a good price. Some times the prices might go down, and if it is before final payment date, I then contact my PCC at NCL and ask to change my reservation. And if it is after the final payment date, I have several times upgraded the cabin instead, and just paid a little for the upgrade.

But more often the prices go up, and some times the increase in price can be quite large - I have an example for a 20 days cruise that we booked on the Sun for 2016:

We booked the cruise already in May 2014, and the cruise takes place in April 2016 - so 1 month short of 2 years after the time of booking. We got a price of $2129 p.p. for a BC balcony cabin, and now the price for the same cabin category for the same cruise cost $3679 (!!!) p.p. That means that we saved a total of $3100 for the two of us by booking it as early as we did. And on top of that, since I booked the cruise the same day the cruise was available for booking, I could choose from all cabins on the ship and get exactly the cabin that I wanted.....

Sadly, the average person does not understand business, nor have they operated a successful business.

Pricing is a complicated process. Selling things at a low price to make customers happy, but going out of business is not a good idea.

Book early, get your cabin and watch prices.

Book late and maybe cabins are sold out, or pricing goes up, or MAYBE you get a good deal.

Just the way it is.

Book what you are happy with and do not get upset that SOMEBODY ELSE got a better deal.

Edited by garycarla

Sadly, the average person does not understand business, nor have they operated a successful business.

Pricing is a complicated process. Selling things at a low price to make customers happy, but going out of business is not a good idea.

Book early, get your cabin and watch prices.

Book late and maybe cabins are sold out, or pricing goes up, or MAYBE you get a good deal.

Just the way it is.

Book what you are happy with and do not get upset that SOMEBODY ELSE got a better deal.

I agree to all of the above.... :)

We ended up upgrading to a Suite after final payment so it didn't really have a benefit for us...but we had booked a mid ship mini-suite on the Dawn about 7 months ago for 1199pp. We are 3 weeks from sailing now and those rooms are at 1520. So if we had stayed with our room, it would have benefited us greatly to book early.

We book as soon as we know when we want to go. Sometimes a year in advance sometimes months in advance. Before final payment, I have often received price drops applied or additional perks (like upcoming Ultimate Beverage Package).

However, for us, since we have airfare to get booked, we can't wait until after final payment date to wait and reserve. When I book, I'm happy at the price I pay. Yes it's a little sad to see a lower cost, but it's better then possibly not having a trip to go on because the prices increased horribly as it neared.

I'd be happier if they'd throw us a bone, like some discounted entertainment or bonus OBC or something, but I called in to ask and the answer was "no".

Did you ask if you could upgrade to a higher category, one which is currently priced less than you paid? Many have reported success with that strategy.

It really depends on ship. I'd say 80% of the time over the past 15 mths or so that I have been watching, Breakaway has seen significant price drops about a month before sailing. Those are much better odds than "maybe"

That is entirely true, but that still doesn't mean that if you wait until the last minute to book you will get the perfect deal. Count me among the people who like to be able to pick from the most desirable cabins and locations... if you wait until after final payment date to book you will never get the kind of room we usually book unless you are extremely fortunate.

If you could care less about where your cabin is or what category your cabin is, and your vacation scheduling is flexible, then by all means you could play the waiting game. You might pay less, but have less choice as well.

We booked 2 Haven suites a few months ago for our cruise in March on the BA and the combined price drop as of last week was over $5,000! I called NCL and they offered us 25% in room credit. Then they offered a future cruise credit closer to the full amount of the price drop. We were able to use that to get a third suite on our cruise for our sister. We still get the $300 on board credit per room and the UDP and the UBP for each passenger. We feel they made the effort to work with us and we were pleased with the outcome. Technically they didn't have to do anything. Totally worth it for us.

Sometimes prices do go even higher before a cruise than it was a year out, but that is usually when it is selling well. The trick is to watch the prices everyday after the final payoff date and grab it right away. We were booked for the Gem for this May cruise and I cancelled it in Nov and I am closely watching prices. They have gone down quite a bit already, but I'm sure the day after final payoff it will be even less, at least for a short while anyway. That is when we are going to re-book. As of today, the price is about $1,000., less than what it was when we originally booked.

My advise, watch rates up to final payment time, then forget it. Remember you must have been happy with the original price or you wouldn't have booked in the first place. The second ofption, get a good travel agent, if you see a big price drop let them know, the have more clout than you, as an individual have. Remember they do not charge for their services except maybe a few $$s.

The second ofption, get a good travel agent, if you see a big price drop let them know, the have more clout than you, as an individual have?

Yes, if your PCC is your friends and/or someone you know. :D

Otherwise, good luck cause they don't really care once you booked.

Happened to friends that I know.

It's better to booked with NCL directly. :)

My advise, watch rates up to final payment time, then forget it.

I have to disagree with this advise. Watching prices until the "lose deposit only" penalty period is over can also sometimes pay off (it would have for us, big time) just as well as watching prices before final payment.

Edited by Demonyte

I am not sure there is a "one size fits all" answer to which is better, early or late. Priorities of one may not be the priority of someone else; and what may be critically important on one cruise may be completely irrelevant on another.

So, for example, we booked a 2 bedroom Haven suite Med cruise for 2016 more than 18 months out. We chose the suite we wanted and wanted to lock in the good price. When the current promo came out, the price was ever so slightly higher -- about 200 per person. But still we cancelled and rebooked it because the kids sail free promotion allowed us to book the 3rd person - my sister -- in our suite for port taxes only, plus get UDP for all of us, and UBP for two of us and soda package for the 3rd, and 300 on board credit. Overall, it saved us thousands of dollars. We are still a year out. Might the prices go down? Sure. But I am happy with what we paid and the perks that were included.

I booked a recent cruise on the Dawn, in a forward suite, about 4 months out. The price went up nearly 500 pp before they sold out.

I booked a mini-suite on a 9 day cruise on the Gem just over two weeks before sailing last year. I had been watching the price for months and watching availability as well. We definitely knew we were going to take that cruise - had vacation time and dog sitter arranged and everything. Didnt care if it was a balcony, or outside, or inside or suite. I used a "service" to alert me to price changes in various categories. I saw a bunch of 20 or 30 dollar drops, so I kept waiting since there was still lots of availability. The all of a sudden, I saw the price for a mini plummet by about 400. a person, and called that day.

If you dont have time to check every day, use one of the services to track and notify you. It costs like a couple of dollars.

Terry

I knew nothing of the price fluctuations and booked with an agent 15 months out. BD Balcony @ $1,399 PP. We got the balcony for the same price as the most expensive porthole window room. The prices went up after that significantly.

It sails this May and around 120 days out, there was a price drop. I re-booked a 10th floor balcony

for a $100 less but got the dining package. That was a great deal I thought.

Low and behold a week and a half later another drop got us into a mini-suite for the same $1,399 and I keep the dining package. That happened a week and a half before final payment @ 75 days out. Since then, the prices have gone up not down. It is now $1,599 for the same room and that was from 2 increases since the 75 day final payment date.

I could have booked the same balcony as the one we first booked for $200 PP cheaper but I was happy paying the $1,399 PP in the beginning so why not get the bigger room with a better bathroom, etc for the same amount? I would say pick a price you're comfortable with, don't pay in full until the last minute and if you want a specific room, be prepared to pay for it. We did not care as long as we have a balcony for this once in a lifetime 9 day Alaska cruise!:D

I have to disagree with this advise. Watching prices until the "lose deposit only" penalty period is over can also sometimes pay off.

It seems to me that a FCC would be quite useful here. The FCC cost to you (after the OBC is factored in) is $150. If you use a FCC, then you only need to have the cruise fare bested by $151 to be ahead. FCC can be used as the full deposit on most cabins (I think the exception is suites, where it can't be used as the full deposit).

Learned my lesson this time.

We're sailing on the Breakaway in March, and booked a year ago.

Today I can book the same cruise, same category on ncl.com for about $1200 less, and that includes the UBB, so about $2000 less.

I know it makes sense for NCL to lower prices and offer incentives to fill up the ship, but it sure punishes people for planning in advance. Shouldn't NCL be trying to encourage people to book in advance?

So, lesson learned, wait until a month before cruising to book.

Did you call NCL and ask for an upgrade?

We tend to book early.

We cruise on Celebrity and NCL.

Our cruises in the past two years have departed from the following ports:

Sydney, Australia

Harwich, UK

Istanbul, Turkey

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Copenhagen, Denmark

We go on two cruises this year from Singapore and Tokyo.

All our cruises except two went up (some by $1500 pp). Of the two that went down after final payment, the one of the British Isles leaving from Harwich only went down by $200pp, but we called and got an upgrade. The other was from Sydney and the prices went down until about four months before the cruise, then back up again and stayed up. I kept up with prices and got the lowest price, since it was before final payment.

Further, I was able to plan, buy reasonably priced airfare instead of last minute outrageous airfare.

If you are near your port and don't have to fly, booking after final payment might work out best, if you can handle cruising on another date if your ship sells out.

In summary, it depends on your cruise and where it starts.

I booked my cruise for inside on the jewel after final payment I called to upgrade and could move to ocean view for the same amount and get udp or go to a mini suite for about $500 with the udp. So I splurged and I am thrilled. If it really bothers you try changing up someway even if it isn't much, and keep calling, you should get someone at ncl to help.

I have to disagree with this advise. Watching prices until the "lose deposit only" penalty period is over can also sometimes pay off (it would have for us, big time) just as well as watching prices before final payment.

It seems to me that a FCC would be quite useful here. The FCC cost to you (after the OBC is factored in) is $150. If you use a FCC, then you only need to have the cruise fare bested by $151 to be ahead. FCC can be used as the full deposit on most cabins (I think the exception is suites, where it can't be used as the full deposit).

I just want to confirm that I understand this correctly...

So for "lose deposit only" penalty period, and If my deposit is only the

FCC =$150 --- I can cancel and will only lose $150 even if I already paid in full? Or will I lose the full deposit amount = $500?

Thanks for any info.

I just want to confirm that I understand this correctly...

So for "lose deposit only" penalty period, and If my deposit is only the

FCC =$150 --- I can cancel and will only lose $150 even if I already paid in full? Or will I lose the full deposit amount = $500?

Thanks for any info.

Not positive of your question, but....

If it is before FINAL PAYMENT due date, you will get back 100% of what you have paid. Deposit and any other payments. It is the DATE that rules here.

p.s. - Some Travel Agents do have a cancel fee. $25 is often mentioned, and one was $100. But most do not.