Handicapped cabins on Carnival ???

Umbarger

I am hoping someone has been in a handicapped cabin on Carnival. I have heard that the handicapped cabins are not any larger than regular cabins that just the doorways are larger to allow a wheelchair to get thru. Is this true? I have been in regular Carnival cabins and I cant see my mom being able to operate a wheelchair in these. Would she be able to get to the balcony as the space between the end of the bed is so close to the wall. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Linda :)

The HC cabins on Carnival depend on what ship you are on. To my knowledge, all have wider doors, bathrooms without steps, roll-under sinks and roll-in showers. We have been on quite a few Carnival ships and found that the HC cabins are improving with the newer ships, but are still workable on most Carnival ships.

The cabins on the "ation" series of ships (Elation, Imagination, Fascination, etc.) are about the same size as regular cabins making them a bit tight, but doable, especially if you separate the beds so they are perpendicular to each other. My husband uses elevated leg rests so he needs extra space to turn and he can do so when the beds are perpendicular and sometimes when they are together along to the window or back wall of the cabin. They have wider doors and slightly larger bathrooms. The shower does not have a built-in seat so you need to ask for a shower seat. There may be others, but the one exception I know of is cabin E259 on the Elation which I believe was adapted after the ship was built. E259 is about a little larger than other cabins. Its bathroom is also larger (though not as big as on newer ships) and has a built-in shower seat.

For us, the outside HC cabins on the Destiny were the most problematical. The bathrooms are larger than the "ation" ships and well equipped, but the cabins were not laid out well. The cabin we were assigned to had no turning space and was not wide enough to place the beds perpendicular to each other. After much discussion, our cabin steward was able to switch us to another slightly v-shaped, HC cabin where the beds are separate, placed along the angled walls. That cabin had enough space to turn next to the bed closest to the door, but was difficult for my husband to access the back of the cabin where the closet and vanity were. I also had to squeeze around his wheelchair to access the bathroom or door of the cabin.

The HC cabins we have had on Carnival's newer ships were much better. Our inside cabin on the Spirit and outside on the Glory were both very nice. Though not as large as cabins we have had on some other lines, they were large enough and had large, well equipped bathrooms with a roll-in showers that did not flood the bathroom as most do. They also had emergency assist pulls which were very well monitored. I know because my husband activated them several times by mistake.

Archived