Is there actually anything to do on Martinique?

Itsbeentoolong

We took the ferry to Pointe de Bout. Just walk off the ship and turn right and you will see the ferry jetty. I would go early as we went to a hotel beach that soon filled up. I think ferry was 10 USD There was quite a few negative comments about Martinique on some forums but I found that they were making an effort to attract a tourist trade. A bit like mainland France they respect you more if you attempt a little French conversation even if its just bonjour. Need any more info just let me know

Phil:)

Edited by sueandphil

Hi, having trouble finding anything to do on Martinique apart from going for a walk, someone I know said they felt unsafe there. Does anyone know any excursion companies or i might just stay onboard.

Thanks

If you Google "Things to do on Martinique" you get all kinds of websites such as Lonely Planet, Trip Advisor and the island's own website which provides lots of suggestions. In Fort-de-France alone there are a couple of museums, a cathedral, buildings of architectural interest, a botanical garden (about 15 mins drive from the centre, or no. 25 bus), elsewhere there is a slavery museum, a rum distillery and museum, etc. etc. The average entry price, where applicable, seems to be about 7 euros, but often there is limited English information, so you might need to brush up your French.

Info from an ex-pat friend of mine from Martinique: Pickpocketing is the main problem in Martinique. There is not as much poverty as on other Caribbean islands and so less crime. Women on their own are likely to get comments/catcalls/be hassled, but continuous firm but polite refusals or simply ignoring the men should get the message across. The people of Martinique have a very French attitude - they expect a polite bonjour if you go into a shop, and merci/au revoir when you leave. The main risk is from sunburn/sunstroke and dehydration. The sun is VERY hot, so high factor sunscreen and drinks, especially if outdoors for long periods, such as hiking, are a must.

Hope this helps.

Martinique is much more affluent and developed than many of its neighbouring Caribbean islands. France has invested in its industry and road infrastructure quite heavily. It is very French.

I would recommend you get out of Fort De France and explore. P&O did a full day Discover Martinique tour which we thoroughly enjoyed (great lunch Inc) The island is quite beautiful and known as the Island of Flowers.

It's a few years since we went to Martinique but, at the time, we were taken aback as to how poor it was compared with the likes of Barbados. I hope things have changed. Also, we went there on a Sunday and the place was totally shut, not even a corner shop open! Few tours ran as I recall. Those on the ship could not believe that in such a poor country the locals were not interested in relieving 2000 plus passengers of their money. Let's hope they have woken up!

Hi, having trouble finding anything to do on Martinique apart from going for a walk, someone I know said they felt unsafe there. Does anyone know any excursion companies or i might just stay onboard.

(tried the Martinique page but no luck)

Thanks

Take a long relaxed lunch with a good bottle of wine at La Cave A Vins.

Then pick up a few bottles of both Depaz Blue Cane Rum and Clement XO

Both are very reasonable in Martinique, and make ideal gifts for friends, but keep at least one of each for yourself.;)

We also got the ferry to Ponte du Bout then just followed the other passengers to the beach, infact we went to a hotel to the left of the beach where you could hire sunbeds as there weren't any on the beach, we had a lovely lunch at the harbour side, plenty of choice of restaurants and boutiques and gift shops also there were a few gift stalls on the harbour walls, check the return times for the ferry I think they were every half hour, currency was american dollars and euro.

It's a few years since we went to Martinique but, at the time, we were taken aback as to how poor it was compared with the likes of Barbados. I hope things have changed. Also, we went there on a Sunday and the place was totally shut, not even a corner shop open! Few tours ran as I recall. Those on the ship could not believe that in such a poor country the locals were not interested in relieving 2000 plus passengers of their money. Let's hope they have woken up!

We were amazed at how modern everything now is. They have a new motorway and good interconnecting roads. I think they may still take the US dollar but the main currency is the euro.. France has invested millions in recent years.

Outside of Fort de France people are very friendly but rarely can you find English spoken. We visited in 2014.

We were amazed at how modern everything now is. They have a new motorway and good interconnecting roads. I think they may still take the US dollar but the main currency is the euro.. France has invested millions in recent years.

Outside of Fort de France people are very friendly but rarely can you find English spoken. We visited in 2014.

That's good to hear. I'll include it on my places to go again. The French must have decided it needed money spending on it. After all the flights from Paris to the island were classed as internal flights on Air France. I think they had an MP(?) sitting in the French Parliament as well.