Naturalist for Alaska cruise?

niklynn1

Yes. I cruised on Radiance last year to Alaska and there was a naturalist and a retired Canadian Mountie on board doing lectures in the theater. Also, during the viewing at the Hubbard Glacier the naturalist did commentary over the loudspeakers.

Now... with that being said... the naturalist was a self trained woman who decided to become an Alaskan expert so that the cruise line would give her free cruises. She wasn't a great speaker and her knowledge was sketchy. But, she managed to convince Royal Caribbean that she was an expert, so good for her, I guess. :rolleyes:

We also had a speaker on board for our Alaska cruise. We went to a few lectures and found them interesting. Our speaker was a retired college professor. He knowledge was good, but the delivery was, well, like sitting in a classroom. He joked that in all his academic lecturing, he never had to deal with an orchestra pit. I specifically remember his lecture on the Yukon gold trail and that make the Skagway Train ride so much more interesting for me. I don't recall if we had commentary while viewing Hubbard glacier.

Just FYI - we also had a lecturer onboard a Panama Canal cruise.

enjoy

M

When we were on the Rhapsody in July of 2011, there was not a naturalist or anything similar. I was actually really disappointed with this since I had also sailed the Inside Passage with Princess and there was one that made the day to Sawyer Glacier very special.

And, for what it's worth... The Princess Inside Passage cruise was superior to Royal Caribbean in every possible way. I cruise many different lines (as is noted below) so I have no bias one way or the other. When it came to going to Alaska again, Royal Caribbean wasn't even in the conversation.

And, for what it's worth... The Princess Inside Passage cruise was superior to Royal Caribbean in every possible way. I cruise many different lines (as is noted below) so I have no bias one way or the other. When it came to going to Alaska again, Royal Caribbean wasn't even in the conversation.

Will keep that in mind.

Took the Orca Enterprises whale watching tour in Juneau and had naturalists from both the Princess and RCI ship onboard. Both were excellent speakers and interacted well with the kids on the tour. Generally these folks do narration from the bridge, have lectures and open hours talking with the passengers.