The Goring versus the Langham

BlueRiband

This is something like asking, "Should I buy the Rolls or the Bentley?" but here goes:

I'm spending four nights in London between TAs. The Langham appears to be a grand hotel while the Goring more of a boutique hotel although I like that it is family-run. I'm an American traveling solo, looking for a bit of luxury, but in one of their standard accommodations and not any grande suite. (Would prefer not to stay at an American outpost but to experience the British atmosphere.)

Has anybody here stayed in either one and can give some feedback? I have a cruise line arranged hotel-to-pier transfer booked and the line needs my hotel address no later than 30 days before sailing.

Edited by BlueRiband

We stayed a couple of nights at The Langham. Very much liked it. Love the colors they used for the interior. Service was very good, but I must be honest to say it wasn't any better than Hilton Park Lane, Le Meridien Park Lane, Radisson Oxford Street and a couple of other hotels we stayed at.

The Langham had a surprisingly good restaurant.

Our main reason to book this hotel this particular time was being able to have an easy walk to the theatre.

Language is in a better location for walking to and fro but the Goring is more" hands on" and boutique. For us after38 stays in London it's Location, location, location and we prefer Covent Garden/ SOHO for all the theatres and museums. Most of all we can walk almost everywhere we want to get to and the three tube stations are there if we need them.

Edited by orchestrapal

Thank you all for the insights...yes, location is a big concern since I'll only have four days. Two must-sees will be the Queen's Gallery and the Royal Mews.

The Goring is closer to those two but that's less than 1/2 day's touring or visiting. Very easy to get to from the Langham as well.

You don't say when you are here - have you considered a show? The opera?

There is a Buckingham Palace tour if the dates are right. At Windsor castle there is a Waterloo experience. The battle not the station.

Edited by Bob++

I've stayed at the Goring once, and it is among my top 3 hotels in the world. The service is just beyond. We're staying there again after our TA in June, and I cannot wait. If you are staying over a weekend, they often have special rates over the weekend, as well.