Drowning at Castaway Cay

rqd

Has anyone heard/confirmed this from Tribune242?

"POLICE are investigating the drowning of an American cruise ship passenger at Castaway Cay in the Abacos yesterday.

According to reports, shortly before 4pm on Thursday, a 38–year-old New York man, who was a passenger onboard a cruise ship moored at Castaway Cay, is alleged to have drowned while swimming in waters in the area.

An autopsy will be performed to determine the exact cause of death."

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2015/feb/27/american-cruise-ship-passenger-drowns-castaway-cay/?news

Totally sad, but really need the autopsy results. Certainly it could be a "simple" drowning, or the individual could have had a heart attack while in the water or some other underlying medical problem.

Unfortunately many of us are far more physically active while on vacation than in our daily lives!

Totally sad' date=' but really need the autopsy results. Certainly it could be a "simple" drowning, or the individual could have had a heart attack while in the water or some other underlying medical problem.

Unfortunately many of us are far more physically active while on vacation than in our daily lives![/quote']

Absolutely. Absolutely terrible either way, and hopefully todays casualty hasn't passed as speculated and is making a recovery.

ex techie

A Disney spokesperson has confirmed to Cruise Critic that a man was found in the water at Castaway Cay on Thursday and later pronounced dead. It was a Disney Wonder passenger. Authorities are still determining cause of death, so it's unclear if the man drowned or had another medical problem while in the water, as moki'smommy suggests.

Reports I'm reading are confused but it appears there were incidents on 2 consecutive days. In the second:

Coast guard is just picking up family and patient. Looks encouraging as he was hooked up to I V etc. very young man with a young daughter and wife. I feel so much better.

good thing this happened b4 DHS funding expired due to a broken Congress

else the USCG would not be able to provide a FREE MEDIVAC

(but one might ask why does US provide a free MEDIVAC outside of the US .... your tax dollars at work .... you might think it is great, or not . . .)

C

A Disney spokesperson has confirmed to Cruise Critic that a man was found in the water at Castaway Cay on Thursday and later pronounced dead. It was a Disney Wonder passenger. Authorities are still determining cause of death, so it's unclear if the man drowned or had another medical problem while in the water, as moki'smommy suggests.

Did they mention the report of a Fantasy Guest medical emergency today at CC ?

ex techie

In the second:

Coast guard is just picking up family and patient. Looks encouraging as he was hooked up to I V etc. very young man with a young daughter and wife. I feel so much better.

Thats encouraging that it sounds like the second patient is on the road to recovery, despite a horrible experience for all involved.

ex techie

Reports I'm reading are confused but it appears there were incidents on 2 consecutive days. In the second:

good thing this happened b4 DHS funding expired due to a broken Congress

else the USCG would not be able to provide a FREE MEDIVAC

(but one might ask why does US provide a free MEDIVAC outside of the US .... your tax dollars at work .... you might think it is great, or not . . .)

C

Smoke and mirrors from the media and certain politicians. Coast Guard duties are considered essential. Therefore, regardless of funding, they will always be available. Just as TSA will be checking your luggage and carry-ons at the airports and CBP will be stamping your passports upon returning to the US regardless on whether DHS has funding or not.

Non-essential personnel, such as clerical staff will have to stay home. Everyone else that is considered essential will have to show up to work.

Not entirely true, under the rules of the Coast Guard, in a situation like this they could reduce services in international waters. They won't, unless the shutdown is extended, but they could, as they are not considered protective duties.

Then again, the CG technically can charge cruise lines and passengers for rescue services, but they never have that I know of.

Smoke and mirrors from the media and certain politicians. Coast Guard duties are considered essential. Therefore, regardless of funding, they will always be available. Just as TSA will be checking your luggage and carry-ons at the airports and CBP will be stamping your passports upon returning to the US regardless on whether DHS has funding or not.

Non-essential personnel, such as clerical staff will have to stay home. Everyone else that is considered essential will have to show up to work.

I was on the Fantasy docked at Castaway on Friday of this week. We did, in fact, have a young Aisan male found in the water unresponsive. They rushed him back to the ship doing chest compressions. It was very scary! There were several children in our group less than ten feet from where they pulled him from the water. So happy to read this morning that he is doing well. Crew on the island did confirm with us that an older gentleman died on Thursday when found out in the water. Strange that these two incidents happened on consecutive days.

There is a poster on another board reporting that there was another Guest rushed back to the Fantasy today by medical staff from CC.

The report doesn't confirm a fatality though fortunately, just speculation.

So very sad for all involved.

ex techie

So sad and my prayer's go out to the families.

Edited by Irene7

I was on the Fantasy docked at Castaway on Friday of this week. We did, in fact, have a young Aisan male found in the water unresponsive. They rushed him back to the ship doing chest compressions. It was very scary! There were several children in our group less than ten feet from where they pulled him from the water. So happy to read this morning that he is doing well. Crew on the island did confirm with us that an older gentleman died on Thursday when found out in the water. Strange that these two incidents happened on consecutive days.

You mentioned your children being 10 feet way. Then did this happen at the family beach? With all the many life guards at the family beach, I'm surprised they did not see him in trouble.

Actually not at all. I've been a lifeguard, with a large amount of movement in the water, it can take a moment or two to locate a stationary body, especially if part under the water. More often than not, its the reactions of others nearby that let you know there is a person in distress.

You mentioned your children being 10 feet way. Then did this happen at the family beach? With all the many life guards at the family beach, I'm surprised they did not see him in trouble.

The Disney lifeguards at Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are incredible. A LONG time ago I worked as a lifeguard, and I was totally impressed with the professionalism at the water parks. I trust those at Castaway have the same excellent training and experience.

However, being a guard in an open water situation is hugely different than at a pool. Even in the best of circumstances it is difficult to see below the water and to watch all of your area at all times. No, not surprising at all that someone could get into trouble and not be seen. I do realize that both of these situations involved adults, but I'll again use it to make my plea--PARENTS need to watch their kids. You are watching one of a few people. The guards are watching many. Parents can do a better job of watching THEIR children.

Actually not at all. I've been a lifeguard, with a large amount of movement in the water, it can take a moment or two to locate a stationary body, especially if part under the water. More often than not, its the reactions of others nearby that let you know there is a person in distress.

The Disney lifeguards at Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are incredible. A LONG time ago I worked as a lifeguard' date=' and I was totally impressed with the professionalism at the water parks. I trust those at Castaway have the same excellent training and experience.

However, being a guard in an open water situation is hugely different than at a pool. Even in the best of circumstances it is difficult to see below the water and to watch all of your area at all times. No, not surprising at all that someone could get into trouble and not be seen. I do realize that both of these situations involved adults, but I'll again use it to make my plea--PARENTS need to watch their kids. You are watching one of a few people. The guards are watching many. Parents can do a better job of watching THEIR children.[/quote']

This and this above.

AND, also everyone needs to remember that the water at CC is the sea, the ocean. Unpredictable undercurrents can and do kill, and even the strongest swimmer can get into trouble, be it through being stung, undercurrents, getting caught on something, or having a personal medical emergency.

The water in the snorkelling area can become murky with so many people stiring up the sand. Each and everyone of us needs to keep an eye out for each other, and as above, the people with you are the best people to watch you and keep an eye on you, not the lifeguards. They are the second line of defense.

At Serenity Bay, it may all look calm and serene on the surface of the water, but again, undercurrents that are not visible on the surface may still be there.

Never swim out on your own in open water. Always have a buddy with you.

ex techie

Where did you read that the Fantasy Guest was doing well? I have been searching the internet since I got home and couldn't find any information. Certainly, I understand and respect if the family wants to keep information private. The helicopter and Fantasy Ramp were right outside of my porthole and I realized the family was one that I had seen a few times around the ship. I have been worried since the moment they put him on the helicopter as it looked as though:confused: he was intubated and had IVs but the airbag was not being compressed on a regular basis. This led me to believe the worst. I hope and pray that he is making a full recovery with his wife and daughter by his side.

Unless the family posts something, I would not expect to see any reports of a guest's condition on line. DCL will not post--they must respect the guest's privacy.

At the risk of being crude, the fact that he was evacuated by helicopter is a good sign because the ship has the ability to "store" a body until the it returns to port. They would not go to the expense and trouble of a helicopter evacuation if he were dead. There are many reasons an endotracheal tube can be in place while an individual is breathing on his own...but most of them are not good. If the tube was placed for initial rescussitation and he is now breathing on his own but not conscious, the tube can be left in place as a "in case we need it again" situation. Once they are conscious, most people are quite intolerant of the tube and want it out ASAP.