Texting on Oasis

negc

Does anyone know the cost of texting phone to phone on Oasis? Do you have to buy an internet package?

Thanks for any help.

Depends on your phone carrier. AT&T charges $0.50 per text. No WiFi needed.

Depends on your phone carrier. AT&T charges $0.50 per text. No WiFi needed.

Just talked to ATT yesterday and they told me the same thing. However, we were discussing the islands more than the actual time on the ship.

They told me on the islands, that incoming text would be free of charge, and just the outgoing text would be $.50 per text.

So when using cellular at sea, is it charges either way?? May need to call them back.

Will plan on telling the kids to just send me text everyday when we are in port. May not always reply, but at least I know all is well at home. Especially nice with elderly parents.

And hoping to catch wifi from one or two islands.

In the past I was able to call AT&T ahead of time and tell them I was traveling on a cruise out of the country. I was able to purchase a block of 100 SMS texts (no pictures, video, just a text) for around $6.00 to use during that week, and that 100 included BOTH incoming and outgoing...so I warned those at home only to check in with me when necessary. I did this on two cruises, but I have not done it in a few years...so try calling your carrier to see if this is available.

One thing I noticed with cellular at sea is that it can update the clock on your phone. Once while in the Med the phone said midnight and it was 8:00 AM where we were.

I've noticed that too. When I get on the ship, I change the settings on my phone and turn off automatic time setting.

We have android phones (galaxy 5) and if we get the wifi package can we text between our phones on the ship through regular texting? Or would we need to use an internet app like viber?

You would be better off using Viber or Facebook Messenger. I have both on my iPhone so that I can message Droid users over WiFi. Those two pretty much covers them.

and is there a wifi package with a set cost or is it per text?

It is not per text if you use iMessage or Viber, Facebook Messenger or the like, and the other person uses the same app over WiFi. You will have to buy a WiFi package. There are only charges per text if you send them over SMS.

Edited by Charles4515

and is there a wifi package with a set cost or is it per text?

Depends on the ship, but the WiFi package on most ships is around $190 per week for one device. Unlimited texting if you have a WiFi texting app, like iMessage.

You don't need a package on the ship to text. Its done thru the cell tower just like at home. All billing comes from your carrier not rci, check your carrier for prices.

If you want to go online from the ship with your phone or other device, you need an internet package.

Edited by setsail

I heard you can purchase access to the ships wifi for little as $10 per day.

If on this wireless, there wouldn't be other charges for texting, would there be?

If your device is on the ship's WiFi, and you only use a WiFi texting app, then there should be no other charges from your carrier for texting.