wine upgrade

alan9945

My wife and I have select drink packages included in our cruise. We both like wine and notice that there is not a lot of choice of wine at $8 per glass. If you order a more expensive wine do you have to pay the full amount or just the difference?

Also we will be on My Time dining and like to pair wine with our courses - is there a sommelier in the restaurant or does the table waiter deal with wine orders?

Is the service of wine good in the MDR?

Thanks

Alan

My wife and I have select drink packages included in our cruise. We both like wine and notice that there is not a lot of choice of wine at $8 per glass. If you order a more expensive wine do you have to pay the full amount or just the difference?

Paying the difference is only available if you buy the Premium or Ultimate packages. As you have the Select package, you will pay the full price for a beverage above the maximum price.

If you really like decent wine, I suggest going all the way to the Premium package. If you also like specialty coffee or other non-alcoholic beverages, I suggest going to the Ultimate. And note that you can upgrade onboard a couple of days after you sail, so you can check out what is actually available for the Select package.

Also we will be on My Time dining and like to pair wine with our courses - is there a sommelier in the restaurant or does the table waiter deal with wine orders?

Thanks

Alan

With some exceptions, I have found the MDR sommeliers on the cruise lines to be marginal sommeliers, but decently knowledgable on the wines and food onboard, so will offer a reasonable suggestion on food and wine pairings (especially those that are within the price range offered by the packages - though IMO, most of the $8 and under wines aren't that great, and why I suggest going to the Premium/Ultimate packages).

Others on cc have said they only paid the difference in price which conflicts with the above post. So make sure you confirm this from other sources.

Thanks

Alan

Thanks

Alan

with this package, you must pay the entire cost of the wine glass. would have to upgrade in order to only pay the difference.

you can FORGET wine by the course in the MDR. and probably even in the Specialties unless you book a specific dinner that includes it like Chef's table(WELL worth the cost) . By and large, alcohol service in the MDR is marginal at best. bring your own bottle or glasses in and you will be far happier. entire evenings go by without the bar tender( they are NOT usually real sommeliers) coming near your table to even ask.

You could wait a VERY LONG TIME to order wine by the glass in the MDR from a bar server. You can just order from your wait staff. Either they take care of it (most of the time) or they get you a bar server (which is getting rarer in my experience).

We had a premium package last year and by night 2 the bar waitress had my wife's preferred wine served immediately every night before we asked and would always come by soon to ask if we needed another (beer for myself). We had yet to tip her at that point but we certainly did after. Her service was outstanding and we had similar service later last year on a pay as you go basis.

You could wait a VERY LONG TIME to order wine by the glass in the MDR from a bar server. You can just order from your wait staff. Either they take care of it (most of the time) or they get you a bar server (which is getting rarer in my experience).