Port Canaveral - where would you stay to walk to restaurants

Hello!

At this point, I do not think we will have a car for our Feb. 2016 cruise. I have read about the "big three" restaurants where everyone eats, Grills, Fish lips, and....?

Are any of the hotels within walking distance? Is there a road that is ok for pedestrian traffic? We are mid 40's ladies and very capable of a walk, just not sure if the geography makes it possible?

I know there is a Cocoa Beach trolley, but it closes early on Sundays, when we will be there :(

Thank you!

Hello!

At this point, I do not think we will have a car for our Feb. 2016 cruise. I have read about the "big three" restaurants where everyone eats, Grills, Fish lips, and....?

Are any of the hotels within walking distance? Is there a road that is ok for pedestrian traffic? We are mid 40's ladies and very capable of a walk, just not sure if the geography makes it possible?

I know there is a Cocoa Beach trolley, but it closes early on Sundays, when we will be there :(

Thank you!

You cannot walk to Grills, Fishlips or Rustys......that road is NOT pedertrian friendly at all.......however it is only a cheap cab ride away. I would definately recommending going to this area for dinner as it really gets you in the cruise mood!!

We usually stay at the Radisson which has Kelsey's restaurant on one side and Zachary's (good breakfast) on the other side.

I am sure there are others who will be able to given you some more options too.

I hope you have a great cruise!

Thank you!

Sorry about the fog cruise. :(

Yeah we were pretty bummed to get cancelled, but things happen.

We are going to try it again in April....hopefully we will have better luck!

Thanks!

Oh and just to add........if there are cruise ships leaving the port the evening you are there try and get there before they leave. It is so fun to "wave them out to sea" knowing that the next day will be your turn.

Go to http://www.portcanaveralwebcam com to see the live view. You can then go to the bottom of the page and click on cruise calendar and it will tell you how many ships will be in port that day. Also there will be links to other port webcams.

Have a great a cruise!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

Hello!

Thank you!

We walk the sidewalk from our place near the Radisson almost daily to the Cove (Port restaurants) and it IS very pedestrian friendly! It is a paved sidewalk the whole way to the Exploration Tower then a short path to the restaurants.

The question is whether or not it is a recommended walk for two ladies after dark and I would say no. The sidewalk path is a bit isolated near the overpass.

Someone told us a few days ago the Radisson arranged a free dropoff and pickup at the Port restaurants for them and other guests? I do not know if the source was dependable but it maybe worthwhile to ask your hotel. If not, you can contact popular local fixed rate companies like Hoo Hah for a price quote.

The Holiday Inn Club is the easiest for walking to the Port on a paved walkway but again after dark that stretch is a bit lonely.

Hey Steerage Joe......your idea of pedestrian friendly and mine must be very different......:D

There is no way I would walk from the Radisson there.....but again I am old and fluffy........:eek:

I do love sailing from PC....it is my favorite port!!!!

Hey Steerage Joe......your idea of pedestrian friendly and mine must be very different......:D

There is no way I would walk from the Radisson there.....but again I am old and fluffy........:eek:

I do love sailing from PC....it is my favorite port!!!!

My wife, myself and our dog walk to the Cove at least 5 times a week during our 3-month winter stay. We are actually going to walk in about 5 minutes - if the rain stays away - to see the ships leave!

Trust me - it is a wide paved sidewalk on either side of the road but we prefer the west side! 1.2 miles one way - flat and smooth!

We are not young either (in our 50s) and love Canaveral and the Port!!!

Edited by SteerageJoe

Great responses - thank you!

We may have a rental car, but I'd really prefer not to have to deal with that for a 4 day cruise. Taxi is fine, and yes, I hope to watch sail away of other ships. Others have also recommended Milliken's so we will check that out as well.

I looked at the Holiday Inn/Club (used to be Ron Jon's?), but it looks like they require some type of membership.

I don't love all things about the three hotels - Country Inn/Radisson/Residence, but we will pick the one that looks best. Pro's and con's for all. Radisson just looks so dated, but maybe the photos on their website aren't the best.

We will decide soon. Thank you for all of the suggestions and help.

Happy cruising.

Great responses - thank you!

We may have a rental car, but I'd really prefer not to have to deal with that for a 4 day cruise. Taxi is fine, and yes, I hope to watch sail away of other ships. Others have also recommended Milliken's so we will check that out as well.

I looked at the Holiday Inn/Club (used to be Ron Jon's?), but it looks like they require some type of membership.

I don't love all things about the three hotels - Country Inn/Radisson/Residence, but we will pick the one that looks best. Pro's and con's for all. Radisson just looks so dated, but maybe the photos on their website aren't the best.

We will decide soon. Thank you for all of the suggestions and help.

Happy cruising.

CI&S and Residence Inn are next door to each other and are the two closest to the port. Both have free breakfast and are both very clean and well run hotels.

We like the Radisson because we love the pool, the tiki bar and being withing walking distance to a couple of restaurants if we don't have time to go over to the port for dinner. Yes it is a little bit older hotel than the other two but our experience with the rooms, cleanliness, service and their shuttle service has been excellent.

You might want to check http://www.tripadvisor.com for recent reviews. (when searching the city put in Cape Canaveral)