What to do in Victoria

We will be stopping Victoria the first week in June from 6 pm till midnight. I'm interested in the Butchard Gardens, but heard they close at five, and wonder if we will have enough daylight to enjoy them. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

This should be a good starting point.

NB: Butchart doesn't close at 5pm all year round - pricing and hours are seasonal, as you can see on their web site, and go as late as 10pm. Not many other attractions open as late, e.g. the parliament buildings and museum are not going to be open if you don't dock until 6pm.

For those annoyingly-short Victoria visits just to satisfy PVSA like yours, it's a very good idea to use the cruiseline excursion to visit Butchart - it's a half hour drive, double that or more by transit, and if it's a fireworks night especially the traffic at the parking lot can be BRUTAL. You don't want to miss your departure!

Personally I'd do a DIY pub crawl, maybe with some fish & chips. Victoria offers a nice little taster of what a visit to London (England) is like, from the copied parliament to the red double-deckers, stone buildings around the downtown core, surly bartenders, retired old English ladies with twinsets & pearls, and excellent beer (i.e. too warm & bitter for most non-Brits!). I prefer Swans - I know there are other regular posters who feel the extra walk over the bridge to Spinnakers is worth it, and if you just want a nice-looking pub it's hard to beat the Bard & Banker even if they don't brew their own.

We did the Butchart Gardens, it was amazing - even if it did get dark while we were there. It was a firework show night, which was great! Be sure to get a seat early though. I'd love to go visit the Gardens again someday.

Thanks for the quick response. We were thinking about doing something similar to what you suggested and just walking around and exploring. Are most of the pubs etc within walking distance from the pier?

It's a 20 minute walk down to the main harbour area (where the parliament buildings, museum & Empress Hotel are). Walking via the water as much as possible adds another ten mins or so - and Victoria actually puts up a few signposts along the route.

From outside the Empress, the B&B is five mins or less; Swans another 5-10mins; Spinnakers another fifteen from there so you'd really have to want to try their beers to continue this far. Here's a Google map with each pub and the pier so you can see what I mean - ditch the manual via points to go more directly.

We will be stopping Victoria the first week in June from 6 pm till midnight. I'm interested in the Butchard Gardens, but heard they close at five, and wonder if we will have enough daylight to enjoy them. Does anybody have any other suggestions?
I should add that you can expect sunlight until 9:30pm in early June...

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/canada/vancouver?month=6

• 4 weeks later...

There are many very good restaurants and pubs down town. Another good place is the Steamship Bar and Grille, across from the Parliament buildings, it's the former wax museum. B&B is great as is its sister pub the Irish Times, all on Government Street only about a block apart. Yates Street tap house is very nice, beautiful huge wooden bar and great Appys. As others have suggested, Swans and Spinnakers. Spinnakers is a bit of a hike though.

I'm in the same situation, but going in late May... and even less things are open after 6pm so the DIY Pub Crawl sounds great!

Is there any type of public transportation that we could use for a pub crawl?

I'm in the same situation, but going in late May... and even less things are open after 6pm so the DIY Pub Crawl sounds great!

Is there any type of public transportation that we could use for a pub crawl?

Honestly, the distance involved are so short (except Spinnakers) that you're much better just walking. If you want to get a bus back from the final pub, check Google Maps for the appropriate routes (they have full data of the local transit system, and a less annoying interface). A cab back won't run over $15 unless you go far, faaaaaar away from the main downtown area.

Honestly, the distance involved are so short (except Spinnakers) that you're much better just walking. If you want to get a bus back from the final pub, check Google Maps for the appropriate routes (they have full data of the local transit system, and a less annoying interface). A cab back won't run over $15 unless you go far, faaaaaar away from the main downtown area.

I completely agree with this, our downtown is fairly small therefore walking even back to ship is not a long walk. Although, that could depend on your pub crawl lol

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be docked in Victoria from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on a Saturday in September. We've rented a car and plan to visit Butchart Gardens and do some sightseeing in the Victoria area. Will we be able to buy tickets at the gardens or is it best to purchase them online in advance?

We will be the only ship in port during the day with more ships docking in the evening. Just wondering if tickets ever sell out at this time of year or is it busier in the summer?

Thanks,

Mary