Stockholm - docking and transportation

[quote name='sultan_sfo']Go4iysly -- actually I used the link you posted and entered Nynashamn and Stockholm and JUNE 8 AND THEN chose Stockholm Central. The timetable comes up which shows the symbols for bus and train. Try it and let me know if you cannot get to the list of trains.Then from there you can click on return also. /Sultan[/QUOTE]
sultan_sfo - I used the Timetable Search and you're right about some of the schedules are bus/train combo. So that means I need to make sure to catch the 09:07 train to the city at the latest. The return is not too bad as all trains starting at 14:52 are through trains.

Thanks again for bringing that to my attention.....:)

[quote name='swdke']Do they not sell these tickets at the station? Possibly there are no ticket booths/windows, or machines in the station?[/QUOTE]

At a station like that I would guess that they do sell the passes at the windows, and some of the windows are equipped with ATM type units that let you pay with cards. But other stations do not have this equipment. As I said, since it is a port city with quite a bit of traffic you can probably buy day passes right at the window, sorry, I can't say for sure.

Nynashamn station is just one platform, there are no windows to buy tickets. You have to buy the tickets at the little kiosk just opposite the station. They take dollars, euros, credit cards and local currency.You can buy the day passes there for 95 kr (approx $13.50) this covers all transportation in Stockholm (apart from the tour buses) If the queue is too long and the train is in the station then you can buy a ticket from the ticket inspector on the train, using local currency.
The trains go to Stockholm central at 7 minutes past the hour after the 8.37 and return 52 minutes to the hour for the return journey, using the front 2 or 3 cars only. The latest train that you should get back is the 2.52 to allow for delays and time to get the tender back to the ship. The train/bus combo would appear to be a new addition this year. If you are on the Star Princess please either go to the lectures given by the Cruise Director John Lawrence or watch the reruns on TV, He explains everything in great detail. I hear that he has put his talks onto DVD and will be available from his website very shortly.

[quote name='livtocruz']Nynashamn station is just one platform, there are no windows to buy tickets. You have to buy the tickets at the little kiosk just opposite the station. They take dollars, euros, credit cards and local currency.You can buy the day passes there for 95 kr (approx $13.50) this covers all transportation in Stockholm (apart from the tour buses) If the queue is too long and the train is in the station then you can buy a ticket from the ticket inspector on the train, using local currency.
The trains go to Stockholm central at 7 minutes past the hour after the 8.37 and return 52 minutes to the hour for the return journey, using the front 2 or 3 cars only. The latest train that you should get back is the 2.52 to allow for delays and time to get the tender back to the ship. The train/bus combo would appear to be a new addition this year. If you are on the Star Princess please either go to the lectures given by the Cruise Director John Lawrence or watch the reruns on TV, He explains everything in great detail. I hear that he has put his talks onto DVD and will be available from his website very shortly.[/QUOTE]

I havent been there in so long, when you say "little kiosk just opposite the station", is that the Pressbyrån convience store or is it a kiosk just for transportation tickets? Anyway the above is great information.

[quote name='Cruising Jake']A bit off topic, but related, about the Copenhagen card. Must it be bought ahead of time online? Do they sell them at the kiosk/store as well?[/QUOTE]
This thread is all about Stockholm. You may want to re-post your question on the thread titled "Wonderful Copenhagen".

I'll help you with an answer regarding the Copenhagen Card, but will also post information under the "Wonderful Copenhagen" thread.

Copenhagen Card

The Copenhagen Card can be purchased at tourist offices throughout Denmark, such as at the tourist information offices across from Tivoli, at the airport and at major train stations. Many hotels, camping grounds and youth hostels also sell Copenhagen Cards.

But the Copenhagen Card can be purchased online in advanced. When arriving in Copenhagen with a Copenhagen Card in hand, you are ready for exciting experiences without the hassle of booking and buying.

- Free entry to more than 60 museums and attractions.
- Free transport by train, bus and Metro.
- Discounts on many attractions and on car rental.
- Includes a comprehensive guide

Choose between a 24-hour Copenhagen Card and a 72-hour Copenhagen Card. (Copenhagen Card is available for adults (16+ years) and children (10-15 years incl.) Up to 2 children under the age of 10 are allowed free with each adult card.

Due to postage you must book your Copenhagen Card online minimum 7 days before arriving to Copenhagen.

The prices include a service and postage fee of DKK 10 for each card (EUR 1,50). 209 Danish Kroner, about $35.92 USD for adults for the 24 hr. card. 439 Danish Kroner, about $75.44 USD, for the 72 hr. card. The Copenhagen Cards will be posted to your address together with a comprehensive guide allowing you to plan your trip in detail before arrival thus maximising the benefit.

Your Copenhagen Card is valid only when it:

is stamped with the first day of validity.
displays the starting time (first full hour).
has your personal signature on the back.
The date is stamped by the point of sale or at the first attraction you visit.

You can use your card as often as you like during its time of validity. Copenhagen Card is available for adults (over 16 years) and children (10-15 years incl.).

This information was obtained from the copenhagencard.dk website. I would go there and see all the sites where the card is valid, or provides a discount. Then, find out what you want to do, and the cost of admission for that activity. Then, see if you would come out ahead by using the Copenhagen Card. However, one cost that would be difficult to determine is the cost of transportation. The card is good for bus and train transportation to nearly all of northern Sjaeland, and Copenhagen. Therefore, knowing how often you would use public transportation, and what the regulare fare would be can be harder to determine.

Archived