Stockholm - docking and transportation

<font size=+2 color=blue>About Stockholm Transportation</font>

There is the 24-hour <font size=+1 color=green>Stockholm Card</font> (not to be confused with the above transport card). Both cards give the same transport benefits, but the Stockholm Card will also include entrance to museums, and some boat sightseeing. This card can only be bought at certain transport centres and tourist shops. It can also be bought online. The cost for this card is SEK 260.-, children age 7-17 pay 100.-. Here is the link to this card: Stockholm Card.

North-bound:

Can you tell me if I can purchase the Stockholm Card at the Nynäshamn station or would you recommend that I purchase it online in advance?

Good to hear from someone else on this cruise!

Since time is so short in Stockholm, I'd go ahead and get your Stockholm card in advance so you don't have to waste precious time once you arrive. From what I understand, the trains only depart hourly (Northbound, correct me if I'm wrong), and it's hard to know how long it will take to tender off the ship. Having the card already could be the difference between making a train that's about to leave versus waiting an hour.

Just curious -- have you ruled out the Princess transportation in Stockholm? I'm still debating. Obviously it's *MUCH* more expensive (ridiculous, but what can we do?), but you may end up getting off the ship more quickly if you have a "tour ticket" and also the bus will leave right away versus perhaps waiting for a train. I just want to maximize my day in Stockholm since there's so much I want to do.

Hi again,

I can see that the link somehow disappeared from my post, here it is again: http://www.operakallaren.se/

Take a look at the rest of the restaurant too, some of the rooms are beautiful.

The cruise ships dock just beside the ferry terminal. There are no piers or docks, the ships will dock along the quay. Same way at Skeppsbron. I don't know what Skepps bar could be. At the south end of Skeppsbron, where the old town meets Södermalm, there is a small lock under the traffic system. This lock connects the Baltic Sea with the big lake Mälaren. The name of this place is Slussen, witch means the Lock.

Depending on harbour traffic, Cruise Ships can put in at several locations in Stockholm, usually not predictable. The locations can be several Km apart as well.

On the subject of GPS, I just bought a software package, Route66 that is extremely detailed and offers GPS support. Not yet tried in battle, but it looks great so far.

cruisemom42:

The train schedule to Stockholm is every 30 mins. :07 & :37. You can check out the schedule by following the link http://www.resplus.se/default.asp?language=2 provided by north-bound (thanks!!) and check out train #112. The reason I'm considering buying the Stockholm Card at the port is that in case there're last minute changes (you never know.) I think I remember reading a CC member mentioning that on her cruise, the port was skipped due to weather. There're 8 of us in my group so it adds up if we ended up not able to use the card. There is also another option of just buying the Stockholm Transport Card for SEK95 (~US$13.50). Depending on how many places you're going to visit on that day (~6 hrs of sightseeing), it may be a more economical way to go.

Yes, I definitely ruled out the Princess transport. Again, due to the number of people in my group, the $72pp Princess charges is way too much. I also heard/read about how the road between Nynashamn and Stockholm is not the greatest so time-wise, I don't think the bus would be any faster than the train. Besides, don't forget that you always have to wait for the bus to load up and in my experience, it's always S-L-O-W.

Thanks. If trains depart every 30 mins, that makes it an even more attractive option. I was thinking I'd have to be very careful returning from Stockholm not to miss the train or else I might miss the ship!

Also a valid point regarding weather. Other problems also occasionally cause ships to miss a port, so you're probably wise to wait with your group of 8.

My reading of the timetable is that that the half-hourly from Nynashamn is a train/bus combo. The hourly is a through train. On the return, there is one period when both the hourly and half-hourly are through trains. Please do check. Thanks. /Sultan

Thanks. If trains depart every 30 mins, that makes it an even more attractive option. .

Just my opinion, but if you are taking the train from Nynashamn, get the 1 day pass for 95 kroner. That would be per person. If you get the strip of 10 coupons for SEK 145 you can use it for multi-people, but the trip to Stockholm from Nynashamn (and vise versa) takes 5 coupons each way, so do the math and you'll see that the 95 crown card is the best way to go. And once you are in town the pass is valid for all the busses and subways too.

And this has been said before but no harm in repeating. When you board the train for your return trip to Nynashamn, make sure you walk towards the front of the train and board one of the first FOUR cars. Many times they shorten the train about halfway down and only the first few cars make the entire trip.

I always feel it's a bit sad for you folks that have to dock at Nynashamn. Stockholm (and you) deserves more time, in my opinion.

Skål

I had read that you need to be on the first two cars. Also, if you are there on the weekend, they may only run once an hour. But they may run twice an hour in the summer. I guess we'll have to keep checking. My cruise is in July, so I hope it is twice an hour.

Marlyne

My reading of the timetable is that that the half-hourly from Nynashamn is a train/bus combo. The hourly is a through train. On the return, there is one period when both the hourly and half-hourly are through trains. Please do check. Thanks. /Sultan

Since I can't read Swedish, how do I check on the train schedule which time is the train/bus combo and which time is the through train??:confused: Looks to me that #112 is a through train and not a combo.

cruisemom42:

I checked the train schedule again from this link http://www.resplus.se/default.asp?language=2. This train schedule is valid between 1/9/05-6/11/05 as listed. The trains run every 30 mins. except for the evening hours. After the 18:52 train from Stockholm --> Nynashamn, the trains run every hour till midnight. Since you need to be onboard by 17:30, you should not have to worry.

Northbound,

Like the others here, I am very grateful for your info.

I have another question. We're on a Princess Baltic cruise in June and our ship stops in Nynasham.

We've travelled the world on our own and just about never take a group tour. However, it seems we won't have a full day in Stockholm/Nynasham and Princess charges a ridiculous fee just for transport to/from the ship to Stockholm.

My question is, do you know of any private car services (or how we can find one)that we can use to get us from the ships pier to Stockholm?

Thank you,

Jane

We are on that same Princess cruise and are also trying to avoid the 72.00 per person bus fare. Only thing I have found out so far is a train to Stockholm Central Station -- wonder how often it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
Since this thread has turned up again, and it is so difficult to read the informatin in the new format, I will post a new copy of it. But first some answers:

M&T, when you arrive in Stockholm the trains from Nynäshamn will be on summer time table, not the same as now. I will post something about this in the spring, when we have that time table.

Any news on the summer schedule for the weekends?

cruisemom42:

The train schedule to Stockholm is every 30 mins. :07 & :37. You can check out the schedule by following the link http://www.resplus.se/default.asp?language=2 provided by north-bound (thanks!!) and check out train #112. The reason I'm considering buying the Stockholm Card at the port is that in case there're last minute changes (you never know.) I think I remember reading a CC member mentioning that on her cruise, the port was skipped due to weather. There're 8 of us in my group so it adds up if we ended up not able to use the card. There is also another option of just buying the Stockholm Transport Card for SEK95 (~US$13.50). Depending on how many places you're going to visit on that day (~6 hrs of sightseeing), it may be a more economical way to go.

Yes, I definitely ruled out the Princess transport. Again, due to the number of people in my group, the $72pp Princess charges is way too much. I also heard/read about how the road between Nynashamn and Stockholm is not the greatest so time-wise, I don't think the bus would be any faster than the train. Besides, don't forget that you always have to wait for the bus to load up and in my experience, it's always S-L-O-W.

This is Sweden we are talking about. It will take you perhaps 30 seconds to buy the card. Trains are usually much faster and much more reliable than buses, so even with the Princess bus you might get stuck in traffic. Buy the card when you get there. If the person who sells the ticket does not speak English, you ran into the only one who does not.:D

"Jag vill köpa ett dagskort för tåget" means "I would like to purchase a day pass for the train. is what you can say if you, as I mentioned, would happen to run into the only one in Sweden who does not speak English. For the most part (like 99.99%) they'll be delighted to speak English to you. Just go slowly.

This is Sweden we are talking about. It will take you perhaps 30 seconds to buy the card. Trains are usually much faster and much more reliable than buses, so even with the Princess bus you might get stuck in traffic. Buy the card when you get there. If the person who sells the ticket does not speak English, you ran into the only one who does not.:D

"Jag vill köpa ett dagskort för tåget" means "I would like to purchase a day pass for the train. is what you can say if you, as I mentioned, would happen to run into the only one in Sweden who does not speak English. For the most part (like 99.99%) they'll be delighted to speak English to you. Just go slowly.

Greta - Thank you so much for your reply and your reassurance about the train. I've printed out the phrase you provided so I can show it in case I hit the 0.01%. I also don't want to take a chance with my pronounciation... :p

Do you also see my other question #36 above regarding the train/bus combo on the return mentioned by sultan_sfo? Is my assessment correct that #112 is the correct train to take on the return and that it is not a train/bus combo?

I have one other question. Do you know if they take credit card for the day pass or if there is an ATM nearby so we can get local currency?

You've been a big help....:D

[quote name='go4itsly']
I have one other question. Do you know if they take credit card for the day pass or if there is an ATM nearby so we can get local currency?
[/QUOTE]

I have not been to Nynashamn in quite a while, but I am almost positive you will find a Pressbyrån store right near the train station. Pressbyrån stores are similar to 7-11 stores. If you walk up to the counter and tell them you want a day pass for the train you can pay with your credit card. I'm pretty sure there will be an ATM machine around there as well.

Skål

I was looking at the time-table valid until June 10. From Nynashamn 9:07 am is through. 9:37 is bus/train combo on that timetable. Star Princess docks at 7:00 am. Some of the posts indicated that they barely made the 9:07. Remember ship has to be cleared for disembark and add the time to go through disembark process. Then there is a 15 min walk and time needed to locate the platform and also buy tickets. The next through train on that timetable is 10:07. Return: After 2:30, the return trains were half-hourly. My post was simply to alert everyone to check the times for THEIR date rather than assume what anyone posts here. Hope that clarifies. /Sultan

Greta and Al - thank you both for your replies to my posting. They are very informative. :)

sultan_sfo - Can you please tell me why you said '[color=DarkRed][i]From Nynashamn 9:07 am is through. 9:37 is bus/train combo on that timetable'[/i][/color]? How can you tell? Does that mean I should avoid the trains departing at :37? :( Now on top of that, I also have concern with what Jane110 experienced last year. That's VERY scary....:eek::eek: to say the least.

Go4iysly -- actually I used the link you posted and entered Nynashamn and Stockholm and JUNE 8 AND THEN chose Stockholm Central. The timetable comes up which shows the symbols for bus and train. Try it and let me know if you cannot get to the list of trains.Then from there you can click on return also. /Sultan

Taxi to Stockholm and back to Nynashamn. Can you tell me more about the option of taking a taxi to Stockholm. Are there plenty of taxi to take in Nynashamn to go to Stockholm? I'd appreciate any information you can provide about taking a taxi vs. the train. Thanks!

[quote name='Al_Frescoe']I have not been to Nynashamn in quite a while, but I am almost positive you will find a Pressbyrån store right near the train station. Pressbyrån stores are similar to 7-11 stores. If you walk up to the counter and tell them you want a day pass for the train you can pay with your credit card. I'm pretty sure there will be an ATM machine around there as well.

Skål[/QUOTE]

Do they not sell these tickets at the station? Possibly there are no ticket booths/windows, or machines in the station?

Sorry Steve, I don't know if you can buy a day pass at the train station. I have never arrived via Nynashamn. Taxis are always available in Sweden, you call for them, but it would cost a small fortune to take the taxi. If you are 3 or 4 to a party, it might make it just a tiny fortune. The train will take you right into town, just like in Copenhagen, you'll be right in town. If it was me, I'd take the train. I would not worry if it is the combo going into town, but I would make sure it's just the train going back to Nynashamn. It's such a short visit, what a shame to dock so far out.

[url="http://www.nynashamn.se/turism/old/index-e.htm"][font=Arial][url="http://www.nynashamn.se/turism/old/index-e.htm"][b]http://www.nynashamn.se/turism/old/index-e.htm[/b][/url][/font][/url]
[b]The e-mail address for the Taxi company[/b] [b]doesn't work. The mail came back to me. :eek:[/b]
[b]This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).[/b]

[b]A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its[/b]
[b]recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:[/b]

[email="turist@nynasnet.se"][b]turist@nynasnet.se[/b][/email]
[b]SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<[/b][email="turist@nynasnet.se"][b]turist@nynasnet.se[/b][/email][b]>:[/b]
[b]host crown.synapsen.se [194.52.50.40]: 550 <[/b][email="turist@nynasnet.se"][b]turist@nynasnet.se[/b][/email][b]>... User unknown[/b]

[b]------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------[/b]

[b]Received: from h-67-101-174-142.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net ([67.101.174.142] helo=yourd25m4r50di)[/b]
[b]by pop-a065d23.pas.sa.earthlink.net with esmtp (Exim 3.36 #10)[/b]
[b]id 1DMYxY-0004NZ-00; Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:06:44 -0700[/b]
[b]Received: from 127.0.0.1 (AVG SMTP 7.0.308 [266.8.3]); Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:06:46 -0700[/b]
[b]Message-ID: <[/b][b]0c0301c54207$6a21a000$0a0110ac@yourd25m4r50di[/b][b]>[/b]

[b]To: <[/b][email="turist@nynasnet.se"][b]turist@nynasnet.se[/b][/email][b]>[/b]
[b]1.0[/b]
[b]Content-Type: multipart/alternative;[/b]
[b]boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0C00_01C541CC.BDBE0D10"[/b]
[b]X-Priority: 1[/b]
[b]X-MSMail-Priority: High[/b]
[b]X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437[/b]
[b]Disposition-Notification-To: [/b]
[b]X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441[/b]

[b]This is a multi-part message in MIME format.[/b]

[b]------=_NextPart_000_0C00_01C541CC.BDBE0D10[/b]
[b]Content-Type: text/plain;[/b]
[b]charset="iso-8859-1"[/b]
[b]Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable[/b]

[b]Hello, Nynashamn,[/b]
[b]Kathy, Dennis, Sue, and I will be in Nynashamn Sunday 4 Sept 2005. In Port: 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.[/b]
[b]We are interested in hiring a taxi to go from Nynashamn Port to the Vasa Museum or Gamla Stan in Stockholm. We would leave about 8 a.m. and return to be AT the ship before 5 p.m.[/b]
[b]Can you please advise the rate for this taxi and how I can make a[/b]
[b]a confirmed booking?[/b]
[b]Thank you very much.[/b]

Archived