Amalfi Coast Tour from Sorrento

1drifter

We have booked a private tour of the Amalfi Coast, so we can customize it to our liking. The tour suggests the normal route visiting Positano, Amalfi & Ravello. I'd just like to know if anyone has any suggestions for things they particularly liked on the Amalfi Coast so we would be sure to see them. Anything that you visited but thought it wasn't worth the time & effort? Someplace you either loved or hated for lunch? Just any suggestions to make it a wonderful day.

We have booked a private tour of the Amalfi Coast, so we can customize it to our liking. The tour suggests the normal route visiting Positano, Amalfi & Ravello. I'd just like to know if anyone has any suggestions for things they particularly liked on the Amalfi Coast so we would be sure to see them. Anything that you visited but thought it wasn't worth the time & effort? Someplace you either loved or hated for lunch? Just any suggestions to make it a wonderful day.

We have also booked a private car tour, only we are leaving from Naples. We were told we can customize as well. Right now we are being picked up at the ship in Naples and the driver is dropping us off at the Sorrento pier and we will take the ferry across the bay back to the ship in Naples. I'm also interested in any suggestions as having never been there, we have not clue! Thanx!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi MMOMOM,

We are also on Allure but in June and are interested in a similar tour. Would you mind telling me which tour company you have used and prices, if possible.

Thanks.

Not at all, but I'm not at home right now ... in Colorado visiting family. I'll be back tomorrow and get the info to you. Wish I could remember the name, but it escapes me at the moment. I'll give you all the information when I get back and settled in, probably by Thursday, unless of course when I'm quickly checking email, it comes back to me! LOL!! :)

I think it helps to understand that the Amalfi Coast is a very popular tourist region....even with the Italians. So it would be unusual to find any real bargains when shopping. One popular regional item is Limoncello and DW (who loves the stuff) swears the best she has tasted comes from Ravello. But folks that love to shop (not me) do sometimes find great buys. On one visit to the coast, DW and I were just walking around the lower part of Positano (where there are some pricy boutiques) when she spotted a shoe store! Now some women will tell you that a shoe store can be better then sex (hope DW doesn't say that) so I knew to just sit on a nearby bench and wait. DW then found a really nice pair of handmade suede loafers for an excellent price. She was so surprised that she quickly bought the shoes (of course she did).

But we cannot recommend anywhere on the coast for great shopping bargains. In fact, a family we know (who owns a hotel in Praiano) does most of their shopping at the cheaper stores (with ordinary merchandise) found in the shopping area of Sorrento. For really serious shopping they wait until they are on their own vacation (often in the USA or France). Go figure.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hi MMOMOM,

We are also on Allure but in June and are interested in a similar tour. Would you mind telling me which tour company you have used and prices, if possible.

Thanks.

Hi There! Well, I'm back home and have the name for you. I actually found it on Cruise Critic when I was researching the cruise and then went to Trip Advisor to read about it before booking. The Tour Company is: APTours. I would suggest you also go to Trip Advisor and read some of the reviews, that's what sold me. I contacted them by email and they were wonderful ... really quick replies and very easy to work with. Good Luck! Let me know how you make out! Happy Sailing! :)

Hi There! Well, I'm back home and have the name for you. I actually found it on Cruise Critic when I was researching the cruise and then went to Trip Advisor to read about it before booking. The Tour Company is: APTours. I would suggest you also go to Trip Advisor and read some of the reviews, that's what sold me. I contacted them by email and they were wonderful ... really quick replies and very easy to work with. Good Luck! Let me know how you make out! Happy Sailing! :)

Can you share pricing?

Can you share pricing?

I don't know if it's allowed, but I have no problem .... so hopefully you'll see this and it won't be pulled. You pay nothing now but in Euros at the time of tour. Full Amalfi Coast and Sorrento, private tour however you want it done is 1-3 persons 320Eur. Same tour company picks us up at the ship and goes to Rome for 1-3 persons, same thing, private tour however you want it is 490Eur. Again, pay nothing now, but in Euros at the time of the tour. There are a couple of things you have to buy tickets ahead of time at the Vatican to avoid the long lines, but it's not much, something like 12-16 Euros. Sounds like a lot, but for us, the convenience of doing what we want when we want, being picked up and dropped off and in the private car works. If you go to the APTours site online as well as read the reviews on Trip Advisor you could probably figure out if it's something you're interested in. Doing the transportation from the Port to Rome seemed like a lot for us, having never been to Europe, so this seemed good. The Amalfi Coast sounds great as it hits all the high spots, he'll stop when and where we want, time for lunch, shopping, exploring and instead of returning the same way, he will bring us to the Ferry in Sorrento and we can take that across the bay back to the ship. The good news is the Euro is down! :)

I don't know if it's allowed, but I have no problem .... so hopefully you'll see this and it won't be pulled. You pay nothing now but in Euros at the time of tour. Full Amalfi Coast and Sorrento, private tour however you want it done is 1-3 persons 320Eur. Same tour company picks us up at the ship and goes to Rome for 1-3 persons, same thing, private tour however you want it is 490Eur. Again, pay nothing now, but in Euros at the time of the tour. There are a couple of things you have to buy tickets ahead of time at the Vatican to avoid the long lines, but it's not much, something like 12-16 Euros. Sounds like a lot, but for us, the convenience of doing what we want when we want, being picked up and dropped off and in the private car works. If you go to the APTours site online as well as read the reviews on Trip Advisor you could probably figure out if it's something you're interested in. Doing the transportation from the Port to Rome seemed like a lot for us, having never been to Europe, so this seemed good. The Amalfi Coast sounds great as it hits all the high spots, he'll stop when and where we want, time for lunch, shopping, exploring and instead of returning the same way, he will bring us to the Ferry in Sorrento and we can take that across the bay back to the ship. The good news is the Euro is down! :)

Thanks so much for the information!