Iconcierge

BandM

We had no problems with it when we were aboard the Getaway in January - found it quite useful in fact, for booking restaurants, checking our inboard spending account, and the like. We hooked into the shipboard system via their WiFi and then used iConcierge almost every day - didn't pay a cent for the entire week of use. That said, we didn't create a username or password / shipboard account for Internet either. We couldn't access email or Facebook on our mobile devices while on board (that's just fine with us - we wanted a vacation from social media too!) but accessed iConcierge for free all week long. I'd recommend it!

Based on my experience on Epic, I would not pay for the voice/text functionality again.

The free functionality on the app was fine but we couldn't rely on the calls coming through so it didn't work too well as a communications aid.

I have an Ipod touch I would like to try and use with this app, especially the texting. I don't have 3g/4g on the Ipod but can connect to wifi if it's available.

If I'm understanding how it works, I would pay the $7.95 and connect my wifi through the ship's internet. Does that seem right?

thanks!

If I'm understanding how it works, I would pay the $7.95 and connect my wifi through the ship's internet. Does that seem right?

You don't connect to internet at any point when using iConcierge, only to a dedicated WiFi network - the app works only inside/close to the ship (where the iConcierge WiFi has coverage) and you can call/text only to other devices also using iConcierge (and paid the $7.95 activation fee) and call to any of the ship's phones.

I have an Ipod touch I would like to try and use with this app, especially the texting. I don't have 3g/4g on the Ipod but can connect to wifi if it's available.

thanks!

Yes, you can, keeping in mind what Demonyte explained. The app does work on any device that is WiFi capable-some better than others from reports I've received. Remember to install the app before you get on the ship. Do it now. It has a countdown function for pre-cruise usage. We use the app successfully on Epic (iPhone and Android), but the system on Epic doesn't seem to be the updated, faster version GA and BA have. Fortunately, we are neither updated nor fast so it's fine.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

Thanks for the info!

Yes, you can, keeping in mind what Demonyte explained. The app does work on any device that is WiFi capable-some better than others from reports I've received. We use the app successfully on Epic (iPhone and Android), but the system on Epic doesn't seem to be the updated, faster version GA and BA have.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Is this wifi that we have to use the app on the one we have to buy packages of? My roll call group told me wifi is NOT free, so I'm confused?

I have an 11 year old with a phone, windows, so I would like to be able to communicate with her on ship when she is in splash academy and such, but I do not want to buy a $100 internet package/minutes and $7.95 per phone to do so.

Is this wifi that we have to use the app on the one we have to buy packages of? My roll call group told me wifi is NOT free, so I'm confused?

Depending on what they are talking about, your roll call group may be right or wrong.

Using the internet via WiFi costs money, just connecting to WiFi does not. Also in my experience (IIRC) the WiFi used for internet access is different from iConcierge WiFi so it isn't even possible to connect to the internet when your device is connected to iConcierge WiFi. (We were on Epic in 2013, don't know if this has changed in the last two years.)

Anyway, you don't need to pay anything extra on top of the activation fee per device to use iConcierge to communicate onboard between devices and/or ship phones.

Wifi to browse the Internet is not free. If you download the app prior to boarding you can activate it and use its functions while on board without purchasing any internet plan, simply paying the one time fee of $7.95 ( per device) If you chose to make ship to shore calls with it, you will be charged a per minute rate, but using it to contact your daughter, or any other person on board, the activation fee is all you will pay.

Edited by AEckhardt

Wifi to browse the Internet is not free. If you download the app prior to boarding you can activate it and use its functions while on board without purchasing any internet plan, simply paying the one time fee of $7.95 ( per device) If you chose to make ship to shore calls with it, you will be charged a per minute rate, but using it to contact your daughter, or any other person on board, the activation fee is all you will pay.

I just want to use this app. Not the internet. I plan to use the internet via wifi on the islands. I have tmobile, and I have international data and texting, so i plan on taking advantage as soon as I touch soil. I just need to make sure I have some data roaming feature OFF on my android when onboard the ship I think so that I don't automatically coonect to ships data and calling plan.

I mentioned ship to shore calls because it is an option via Iconcierge. It sounds like you should be all set.

Oh, just be aware the app is only available to use on certain ships. The Breakaway class, and I believe the Pearl and the Jewel. After the Star comes out of dry dock it should be available on board there as well. Not sure which ship you will be sailing.

iConcierge does NOT use the internet nor does the internet package require iConcierge. It is strictly for use in or on your ship via wifi. If you don't want/need the calling/texting feature, there is no charge.

http://www.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge

I did a review a while back after our cruise on the Pearl.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2077068

Ahh, that's right. I totally forgot that if you don't use the texting (that's why we downloaded it) or calling others on the ship, it did not require the one time fee for the reservations, checking your account, etc. The PP I was responding to mentioned using it to keep in contact with her daughter, so my brain automatically went there.

Is Iconcierge available on the Gem?

Not until after the delayed drydock visit later this year - I think November. (NCL's iConcierge page claims that it's already available on Gem but that is false information based on original drydock schedule.)

Edited by Demonyte

We did the app on the Getaway and loved it and would do it again if any of the other ships offer it. It was a great way to keep in touch with everyone in the family.

I did a COMPLETE write up of it with tons of screen shots of each screen that will show you what all it does and how it looks. If you're interested you can CLICK HERE and it starts down on post #159. :)

So I guess I would be correct in assuming that the Dawn will not have iconcierge??

I assume they won't since they are an older ship. However, I haven't really heard if there's talk about rolling this out on all the ships. I sure hope so. We will be on the Dawn in June and it sure would be nice to have.

I assume they won't since they are an older ship. However, I haven't really heard if there's talk about rolling this out on all the ships. I sure hope so. We will be on the Dawn in June and it sure would be nice to have.

They had it on the Jewel last week. I think they upgraded during dry dock, whenever that was for the Jewel. They did not have it on the Jewel last year about the same week.

We are sailing May 1st..

They had it on the Jewel last week. I think they upgraded during dry dock, whenever that was for the Jewel. They did not have it on the Jewel last year about the same week.

I believe drydock is May 2016 for the Dawn :(