Beware this aspect of HAL's Premium Protection Plan!

Beth Y

It is insurance. Like I said previously, the two single passengers are better off working out a single cancellation between themselves and saving the cost of the "protection". Either way, the full two-passenger fare will be paid to HAL.

igraf

Part of HAL's Platinum Policy covering the cancel for any reason is not insurance at all, but Trip Protection. That is why they do not call it insurance.
Edited by igraf

Buyer beware? Read the fine print? As in anything one buys, you need to ask questions and make sure you know what you're buying.

In my own experience in researching trip insurance, I have always been able to find a better policy (more and better coverage) for less money than what the cruise lines offer. HAL's platinum policy is extremely spendy; why would I buy it when, for less money, I can get refunded 100% of the cost of the trip rather than losing 10% to HAL and get a whole lot more coverage for other things to boot. I don't understand why anyone would buy it from HAL. YMMV.

We buy it because you can pay for it at final payment. With other insurance, you have to pay for it soon after your initial deposit. If you are not totally sure about the trip, you will be out that money. I'm talking about cancel for any reason insurance.

We buy it because you can pay for it at final payment. With other insurance, you have to pay for it soon after your initial deposit. If you are not totally sure about the trip, you will be out that money. I'm talking about cancel for any reason insurance.

That has always been the case with us however I just happened to check some dates on my invoice for our April 2, 2016 cruise and saw that while the final payment date is January 3rd, 2016, the penalty phase for cancellations begins on Dec 4, 2015. The insurance would have to be bought prior to that date.

Check your dates carefully so you don't get caught.

That has always been the case with us however I just happened to check some dates on my invoice for our April 2, 2016 cruise and saw that while the final payment date is January 3rd, 2016, the penalty phase for cancellations begins on Dec 4, 2015. The insurance would have to be bought prior to that date.

Thanks...I never thought of that. I will have to check!

Thanks...I never thought of that. I will have to check!

I certainly will check from now on. I just discovered this by accident as I was checking the forms for something else entirely.

Very good point. Many people are not aware of this.

/Was in insurance for 32 years and always remember -

"The big print giveth and the small print taketh away"

Where is the like button?

I was taught that insurance is like DICE. The Declarations are what you tell the insurance company, the Insuring agreements tell you what is covered under the policy, the Conditions have to be met or the Exclusions apply.