Beware this aspect of HAL's Premium Protection Plan!

Beth Y

Four of us senior ladies were booked on the Ryndam 3/15 cruise— my friend G and me in one cabin, my friend J and her friend M in another. M cancelled two weeks ago because of medical reasons.

J and M each purchased HAL's Platinum Cancellation Protection Plan when they booked. It will refund 90% of the cruise price if they cancel. I guess this works well if both guests in the room wish to cancel. However my friend J still wants to go on the cruise. HAL said that her $649 fare would become $1298 if she stayed in the cabin alone. The fine print says:

"... it does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel …”

This seems like a bad plan for a single cruiser in a group situation. My roommate G and I purchased travel insurance independently for about the same cost as HAL’s CPP. If one of us cancels for medical reasons after final payment, that person is reimbursed directly, so the other person's rate is protected.

Luckily, another friend was able to step in as a replacement for M at this late date, so both J and her new roommate will each pay the $649 rate. J (who is 77) would never had purchased HAL’s CPP as a single cruiser if she understood the details of what they sold her as travel insurance. Comments?

Comments?

Buyer beware? Read the fine print? As in anything one buys, you need to ask questions and make sure you know what you're buying.

In my own experience in researching trip insurance, I have always been able to find a better policy (more and better coverage) for less money than what the cruise lines offer. HAL's platinum policy is extremely spendy; why would I buy it when, for less money, I can get refunded 100% of the cost of the trip rather than losing 10% to HAL and get a whole lot more coverage for other things to boot. I don't understand why anyone would buy it from HAL. YMMV.

Agree with zelker but have friends (he is 93 and still going strong) who purchase insurance from HAL as many insurance agencies charge by age and HAL does not, so for them, it is cheaper. Do know we pay just a bit more for my DH's insurance as he is 3 years my senior. May be why they bought from HAL.

We also buy HAL's cancellation insurance as it is not based on age or subject to pre existing conditions. It is based solely on the cost of the cruise.

It is much cheaper for us and I fully understand that if one of us should cancel the other would be subject to the supplemental charge. In the case of a couple though, the reimbursement to one person should cover the additional charge to the other. Unfortunately that is not the case if it is just two friends travelling.

Definitely food for thought.

What a lousy deal! HAL charges a premium for the policy, and then charges the other cabin passengers for the loss. Single passengers sharing a cabin would be better off settling the cancellation between themselves.

Another issue that some trip insurance policies will not cover problems occurring with 24-hours of the cruise departure. This could include a missed or cancelled flight.

igraf

Edited by igraf

I really do not think HAL or their insurance company would find the following scenario very profitable: (not picking on single persons, just illustrating a point...)

1) Single person purchases a cruise in Pinnacle Suite, let's say for $5000 per person, with a friend and both pay insurance of a few hundred dollars knowing friend has no intention of ever going on the cruise.

2) Friend cancels at the last minute and gets back substantial amount of the $5000.

3) Single person travels alone in Pinnacle Suite for $5000 + Insurance Cost + portion of friend's fare that is not refunded.

What a deal. Where do I sign up?

This came up here a number of years ago.

In that situation the travel agent who sold the cruise came on this website to tell what had happened. They sold a group booking to a number of single seniors, and it sounded like some did not even know each other.

One person became sick and canceled last minute and the the other arrived at the pier and had the cabin to themselves. Somehow HAL did not catch this until after the cruise was over and/or mid cruise, and while one passenger was trying to get their 90% back, the other (who had already completed the cruise) was being charged the double occupancy rate.

The agent was livid and said they would never sell another HAL cruise, to which some said it was his fault for not reading and explaining the policy which was not an insurance policy.

I thought under the circumstances since HAL made the mistake of not catching this at the pier they should make an exception and not charge the solo traveler after the cruise had been completed.

If I recall the agent never came back and told us what happened.

This is not a good policy for a medical cancelation, but works great for "Cancel for Any Reason", and we have used and it worked well for a teenager who just decided she did not want to go with us to Europe. Note that when we used this policy we already had medical insurance that covered us out of network.

Edited by Jade13

What a lousy deal! HAL charges a premium for the policy, and then charges the other cabin passengers for the loss.

igraf

If they allowed this than people who wanted to travel solo could book another into their cabin, cancel the one person last minute, and essentially only be paying an additional 10% (or plus 5% with a cancelation at 31 days) over the single rate in a double cabin, plus the cost of the policy.

Edited by Jade13

I really do not think HAL or their insurance company would find the following scenario very profitable: (not picking on single persons, just illustrating a point...)

1) Single person purchases a cruise in Pinnacle Suite, let's say for $5000 per person, with a friend and both pay insurance of a few hundred dollars knowing friend has no intention of ever going on the cruise.

2) Friend cancels at the last minute and gets back substantial amount of the $5000.

3) Single person travels alone in Pinnacle Suite for $5000 + Insurance Cost + portion of friend's fare that is not refunded.

Exactly!

We also buy HAL's cancellation insurance as it is not based on age or subject to pre existing conditions. It is based solely on the cost of the cruise.

It is much cheaper for us and I fully understand that if one of us should cancel the other would be subject to the supplemental charge. In the case of a couple though, the reimbursement to one person should cover the additional charge to the other. Unfortunately that is not the case if it is just two friends travelling.

We bought HAL's insurance this time for exactly the reasons I highlighted in red above. DH has pre-existing conditions and HAL was the best deal for us as a couple. (Yes, the Dr's gave DH the OK for cruising :) )

Agree with zelker but have friends (he is 93 and still going strong) who purchase insurance from HAL as many insurance agencies charge by age and HAL does not, so for them, it is cheaper. Do know we pay just a bit more for my DH's insurance as he is 3 years my senior. May be why they bought from HAL.

One of the reasons HAL doesn't ask or charge premium by age is because their best policy only provides $10,000 in medical. What they sell is cancellation coverage; not travel insurance.

It seems even the cancellation coverage is limited.

Be very careful to know exactly what insurance you are buying...... of course, this applies to all the sorts of insurance we buy in our everyday lives.

Precisely.

Thanks for pointing this out. A friend is rooming with another friend for a major cruise and she mentioned she was going to get this coverage. I will bring this up to her.

The organization she is using as TA apparently has a policy they just book HAL products and nothing separate. At least that is what my (former) agent told me when I wanted to book flights and hotel separate from HAL and use my airlines coupon.

This is exactly why we buy HAL's platinum policy. Age alone would make most other policies way to expensive but both of us have pre-existing conditions that make the premiums really skyrocket. HAL's policy is the best by far for people that are in our shoes.:)

Thanks for pointing this out. A friend is rooming with another friend for a major cruise and she mentioned she was going to get this coverage. I will bring this up to her.

The organization she is using as TA apparently has a policy they just book HAL products and nothing separate. At least that is what my (former) agent told me when I wanted to book flights and hotel separate from HAL and use my airlines coupon.

JMO but that sounds like a TA who doesn't like to work too hard. :D Easy way out for him/her to do the least amount of research and help for their client.

This is exactly why we buy HAL's platinum policy. Age alone would make most other policies way to expensive but both of us have pre-existing conditions that make the premiums really skyrocket. HAL's policy is the best by far for people that are in our shoes.:)

I certainly wouldn't ask your age but want to mention that I have pre-existing condition, am on Social Security and write medical/evacuation coverage for a very low premium from a very well known, established insurer. I do NOT ever purchase cancellation coverage. That is what makes the premium jump. I am willing to self insure the price of the trip but NOT an unknown amount of potential medical or evacuation expenses.

JMO but that sounds like a TA who doesn't like to work too hard. :D Easy way out for him/her to do the least amount of research and help for their client.

Agree that sounds like a poor agent

I certainly wouldn't ask your age but want to mention that I have pre-existing condition, am on Social Security and write medical/evacuation coverage for a very low premium from a very well known, established insurer. I do NOT ever purchase cancellation coverage. That is what makes the premium jump. I am willing to self insure the price of the trip but NOT an unknown amount of potential medical or evacuation expenses.

Are you an agent for the company or an independant insurance agent? Are you able to mention the name of the company? If I contact you by e-mail and give you the pertinent information would you be able to give me a quote or write medical/evacuation coverage for my husband and myself? :confused: We need the cancel for any reason coverage also as we tend to book longer cruises.

I really thought I had researched all of the major carriers.

Yes, exactly. And I have done the research. In my DH's case, there is very little insurance available otherwise, and after next year - none. Currently I am able to combine HAL's platinum policy with an annual policy we purchase but that one covers him for so little that it basically is just for me.

That is up to HAL/insurance company to verify that the trip cancellation was for a valid reason. If they are just going to charge the other passenger for the loss then the insurance is bogus. This gives the insurance underwriter a zero risk situation!

The real answer is of course that the insurance policy has to be for the cabin, and not the individual, as the fare is really based on the cabin.

igraf

If they allowed this than people who wanted to travel solo could book another into their cabin, cancel the one person last minute, and essentially only be paying an additional 10% (or plus 5% with a cancelation at 31 days) over the single rate in a double cabin, plus the cost of the policy.
Edited by igraf

Are you an agent for the company or an independant insurance agent? Are you able to mention the name of the company? If I contact you by e-mail and give you the pertinent information would you be able to give me a quote or write medical/evacuation coverage for my husband and myself? :confused: We need the cancel for any reason coverage also as we tend to book longer cruises.

I have absolutely no connection to the insurance industry except as a policy buyer/holder and never have had any more tie than that. :) I am fully retired and do not work outside my home.

We all should purchase the coverage that works best for our individual needs. My needs may vary greatly from your needs.

What Sail is taking about is medical and evacuation coverage only. It does not cover the cost of your cruise/vacation.

So if you get sick and cancel you only get back what the cruise line is offering, and only prior to boarding (which should include the taxes and port fees).

The thought process for some may be that if they lost the cost of the trip they would not go into financial ruin because they could afford the vacation in the first place. However, medical evacuation could be very expensive and often over $50,000 and could cause some people to lose their home if they do not have this coverage.

"Self insuring" the trip means that one is taking the risk and not paying for insurance.

Edited by Jade13

That is up to HAL/insurance company to verify that the trip cancellation was for a valid reason. If they are just going to charge the other passenger for the loss then the insurance is bogus. This gives the insurance underwriter a zero risk situation!

The real answer is of course that the insurance policy has to be for the cabin, and not the individual, as the fare is really based on the cabin.

igraf

Part of HAL's Platinum Policy covering the cancel for any reason is not insurance at all, but Trip Protection. That is why they do not call it insurance.

Edited by Jade13

give me a quote or write medical/evacuation coverage for my husband and myself? :confused: We need the cancel for any reason coverage also as we tend to book longer cruises.

Ask your questions on the Insurance forum on Cruise Critic

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

As mentioned previously, everyones needs are different but you can try Steve at tripinsurancestore (dot) com.

With the exception of the cruise line policy, the price is based on your age and amount you are insuring, plus additional costs if you want cancel for any reason protection.

Edited by Jade13

Airlines don't pay commission and hotels issue commission at 10-12% typically. By going through HAL they'll get commission on the air and the hotel commission may match the agency's commission level with HAL which can be up to 16%.

It makes sense from a business standpoint, but given the circumstances it may not necessarily give the best possible service to the client.

One benefit of course is that both the CPP and CPPP plans made available through HAL do cover ALL aspects of the trip that are booked through HAL. So if that's just the cruise than the CPP/CPPP cover the cruise (and if the traveler got hotels, flights, etc on their own those components would not be covered unless they bought additional insurance to cover those specific pieces of the trip). However if their HAL booking is cruise, air, transfers, a 3 day pre-cruise package and a 2 day post cruise hotel then the CPP/CPPP would cover ALL of that...

Most cruise lines have a setup like that and it can be hugely beneficial, but it could also be a way that specific TA is guaranteeing commission on non-commissionable components.

Edited by InTheWASide

What Sail is taking about is medical and evacuation coverage only. It does not cover the cost of your cruise/vacation.

So if you get sick and cancel you only get back what the cruise line is offering, and only prior to boarding (which should include the taxes and port fees).

The thought process for some may be that if they lost the cost of the trip they would not go into financial ruin because they could afford the vacation in the first place. However, medical evacuation could be very expensive and often over $50,000 and could cause some people to lose their home if they do not have this coverage.

"Self insuring" the trip means that one is taking the risk and not paying for insurance.

I am well aware of the difference between medical and evacuation coverage only vs. medical and evacuation coverage plus cancellation insurance. I am also well aware of self-insuring and the risk involved. I was employed in the personal lines/liablity insurance industry for over 40 years but these types of travel insurance are outside my field of expertise.

And in answer to your other post I have indeed tried the tripinsurancestore (dot) com along with researching the Insurance forum on cruise critic.

I was sincerely hoping that Sail was either an independant agent or an agent of a company that I had overlooked in my research. Unfortunately for me and fortunately for her she is fully retired.

Airlines don't pay commission and hotels issue commission at 10-12% typically. By going through HAL they'll get commission on the air and the hotel commission may match the agency's commission level with HAL which can be up to 16%.

It makes sense from a business standpoint, but given the circumstances it may not necessarily give the best possible service to the client.

One benefit of course is that both the CPP and CPPP plans made available through HAL do cover ALL aspects of the trip that are booked through HAL. So if that's just the cruise than the CPP/CPPP cover the cruise (and if the traveler got hotels, flights, etc on their own those components would not be covered unless they bought additional insurance to cover those specific pieces of the trip). However if their HAL booking is cruise, air, transfers, a 3 day pre-cruise package and a 2 day post cruise hotel then the CPP/CPPP would cover ALL of that.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense. The agency is more known for car insurance and maps.....