sun cream?

newbieafloat

Not specifically a P&O question, but wasn't sure where else to post this.

Ventura N507 (27th March - 10th April) will not just be my first cruise, but my first time in the Med at this time of year. I'm not one to bask in the sun, to me a tan is a side effect rather than a trophy or necessity, and though I'll be wearing shorts, I'm not one to get my pot belly out unless there's a very good reason anyway.

You'll know when I've got my shirt off, because all the birds in the sky go round in circles due to having one wing over their eyes to protect from the glare.

However I'll still be on deck a fair bit propping up the bars and getting my nicotine fix, and of course on shore at each port. Is sun cream typically needed at this time of year, or will I get away with just packing some aftersun in case it's needed on return to the cabin?

I have a fair skin and a shaved head. Like you, I do not sunbathe. In the Med I do not use sun cream at the time you will be going, but wear a hat to avoid getting burned on the top of my head.

The sun is stronger at sea due to the reflection of UV (the burning kind) off the water, and the cooling wind fools you into thinking you are not getting the rays. So, as someone whose DH has had skin cancer (fortunately not the really nasty one) and uncomfortable surgery, I would urge you to use suncream.

I would add that i got slightly sunburned in Venice in March a few years ago - because I didnt think I would need suncream at that time of the year....:mad:

Ventura N507 (27th March - 10th April) will not just be my first cruise, but my first time in the Med at this time of year. I'm not one to bask in the sun, to me a tan is a side effect rather than a trophy or necessity, and though I'll be wearing shorts, I'm not one to get my pot belly out unless there's a very good reason anyway.

You'll know when I've got my shirt off, because all the birds in the sky go round in circles due to having one wing over their eyes to protect from the glare.

However I'll still be on deck a fair bit propping up the bars and getting my nicotine fix, and of course on shore at each port. Is sun cream typically needed at this time of year, or will I get away with just packing some aftersun in case it's needed on return to the cabin?

Apply factor 50 even when in the shade, and stay out of the direct sun until after 15.00 hours, also apply new sunscreen every hour (be generous).

Apply factor 50 even when in the shade, and stay out of the direct sun until after 15.00 hours, also apply new sunscreen every hour (be generous).

Wow! That's proper caution. Probably one step away from stop at home ;)

All points noted though :)

We are on the same cruise too.

For the last two years, we have cruised at this time of the year - Ventura to Mediterranean and last year, Azura to Canaries. I burn very easily so always took suncream but didn't have to use it very often.

But them every year is different . . .

So yes, definitely take cream. Will you need it every day, possibly no.

Tracey

PS Azura, October half term 2014 to Spain - was 30 degrees in Bilbao. And 20 degrees back home in Southampton. I was roasting in a fleece!

P20 sun lotion is fab , it seems expensive however, only applied once s day. I used it in Egypt last August and no burning or heat rash . There are s few factors to choose from. Once a day application saves carrying it around [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes we are on the same cruise as well and I will be taking suncream and definitely hats. Might not need the suncream much though. In Malaga in December the sun was really hurting my eyes walking back to the ship I had to hang onto my husband and walk with my head down.

Having said that we lived on Cyprus for 2 years and it didn't really warm up that much until late April.

P20 sun lotion is fab

Another vote for P20.

You put it on 15 minutes before you go out. It sinks into the skin and is not greasy. Lasts all day.

I used it in the Caribbean and didn't burn once during the fortnight despite 30 degrees and sun. Have to admit, though that I wasn't lying flat out on a sunbed, it was more walking around or sitting in bars in/out of sun.

I was dubious the first time I used it, I usually suffer horrendously from heat rash, with the factor 30 got the first week, factor 20 for the second , I didn't rash or burn and that was lying in a bed all day in 40 degrees in and out of the pool ( umbrella cover 12-3). Met a lot of people that use it on children too. P20 comes in factors 20,30and 50

I had a rather nasty reaction to P20 sun cream (after about 3 days use) which took weeks to clear up and was very uncomfortable. I now only use the varieties that you have to reapply, mostly with no issues.

I did try it on a patch a few days before I went, which is what anyone should do if possible with s different product. ( I have reacted badly to some previously- bad enough to require medical- and those times were staying out of the sun) Rather throw away a bottles worth of sunblock than ruin a holiday!! Everyone is different which is why there are so many varieties I guess.

Wishing all burn and reaction free holidays [emoji2] which ever product is used x