Touring Oahu

vivianmarie244

What is the latest on parking @ Laniakea Beach...I'd love to make a stop there, dip my toes in the water & "hopefully" see some turtles ;)

You can park in the dirt on the side of the road directly across from the beach. Some days are easier to find parking than others.

Incidentally that is on the list of beaches I haven't made it to yet! Next time the weather and waves are nice perhaps.

~Katy

Hi does anyone know if there is a shuttle form the cruise pier to Waikiki please?

The only shuttles I recall were to Hilo Hattie's or Walmart from both the Aloha Tower & other (2?) pier. I've walked a couple of blocks from the Aloha Tower pier to The Bus stop ($2.50 one-way?) where you could go practically anywhere on Oahu including Waikiki...or like my wife to shop at Ala Moana SC. ;)

What is the best option for touring around Oahu? We're mainly wanting to visit the Polynesian Culture Center, Pearl Harbor, and the Dole pineapple factory. We'd like the least stressful and most cost efficient way to tour? TIA

If you look on line - the PCC offers several tours which you can pick from. Some tours you also pick your specific seats for the evening performance. They also pick up at certain hotels and offer two choices.

When I booked - (3 weeks ago) - they were offering a 10% discount on tours paid on line. Cost efficient - I guess it depends on how many people are in your party and whether it would be cheaper to rent a vehicle.

Hi does anyone know if there is a shuttle form the cruise pier to Waikiki please?

I've heard a lot of great things about Johnny Cab on these forums. I have Go808 Express taking me to the hotel from the airport and Johnny Cab taking me to the pier. Both are highly rated shuttle services.

I HAVE been to 39 different beaches on Oahu though so if you need any help choosing the right beach, I'm your girl LOL

~Katy

Katy I would love to see your list of beaches and your thoughts on which ones would be "must see" ones (and ones to avoid)! I will be on Oahu for 7 days at the end of October.

Katy I would love to see your list of beaches and your thoughts on which ones would be "must see" ones (and ones to avoid)! I will be on Oahu for 7 days at the end of October.

These are a few of my favorites:

Windward (east) side:

Lakinai. Park off the street in the neighborhood. One of the most famous on Oahu, for a reason! Also can be crowded because of that. On clearer days there's some limited snorkeling at some parts.

Waimanalo. There is a beach park with facilities, lifeguards, and a parking lot. I personally go north of the park and park in the neighborhood, much quieter than Lanikai any day of the week.

Kailua beach park. close to Lanikai. Has facilities and lifeguards and a parking lot. Busiest on weekends of course.

Kahana Bay. North part of the windward side, wooded park. No lifeguards and limited facilities but has camping on weekends. Out of the way, surrounded by evergreens with the koolau mountains going up on either side. Gorgeous. Water can be on the murky side especially after a rain.

South:

Eh. I'm not a fan of many of the beaches on the south side. Tend to have rocks and coral, so best with water shoes. Waikiki beaches are OK mostly because you have so much close by. But they are crowded.

If you want to go to a beach with old lava flows running into the water (and not so good for swimming) diamond head beach is pretty. It's a climb down and up though, and also be prepared for no or minimal cell signal since it's in the shadow of diamond head. Nimitz beach is nice and white plains always had nice small waves and plenty of surfers.

West (leeward) side:

Makaha. Fairly far north. The farther north you go the prettier it gets. Has facilities and lifeguards. Surfers to watch. Rarely crowded, even on weekends. Sandy bottom with some occasional pebbles, though south of the south lifeguard stand there can be bigger rocks and broken coral. If you swim out far enough there's snorkeling and often you will see boats out with snorkelers or scuba divers off shore.

Makua. Literally you park on a dirt road off the main street. Be careful in a low sitting vehicle or one without AWD. No facilities or lifeguards. Very pretty. Some rocks in places but stretches of sandy bottoms.

Yokohama. As far north as you can go on the west side!

Ko Olina Lagoons. These are man made on resort grounds and very pretty. Very calm water. Limited parking unless you want to pay $10 at the marina. Sometimes you can find turtles in the lagoons. OK for snorkeling.

Electric Beach. Not the best for a "beach day" but AMAZING snorkeling. You need your own equipment though (or to rent some elsewhere for the day) I've snorkeled with sea turtles both times I've been there so far.

North Shore:

Honestly I don't make it to the north shore often enough.

Waimea Bay. On calm days very nice for swimming, on high surf days stay OUT of the water but nice for watching surfers. If parking is crammed, across the bridge and across the street you can pay $5 and park there. Has lifeguards and facilities and a great open grassy area.

Turtle Bay resort has a protected cove. You can still go, there is some public free parking, even if you aren't staying at the resort. Has some snorkeling. Good for days when you have been watching the pounding waves and want to swing by somewhere close by for a swim.

Three Tables and Sharks Cove. Good for snorkeling. Relatively protected but still may want to avoid if waves on the north shore are big enough.

Laniakea. Haven't been there personally but hear it's great for seeing sunning turtles.

My personal hands down favorites right now are Makaha, Makua, Lanikai, and Waimanalo. Always check the surf forecast before going, especially in the end of october you could see some big swells starting to come in on the north and west shores or could still see some of the swells on the south though Waikiki is pretty protected from those. Bring water shoes for south and north shore beaches especially. If you can only make it to one beach away from Waikiki, Lanikai would be my pick. But I highly recommend trying to hit at least one on each side, they're amazing in different ways.

I have a flickr with pictures at some of these beaches. I can post a link if you would like!

~Katy

I saw on KGMB news that traffic cameras have been added at Lanikai to help residents by preventing parking on one side of the street. However HPD wouldn't disclose the camera locations.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I saw on KGMB news that traffic cameras have been added at Lanikai to help residents by preventing parking on one side of the street. However HPD wouldn't disclose the camera locations.

I didn't see that report but I would imagine it is to prevent people from parking in the bike lane. I always park on one of the streets perpendicular to the beach. It's always a good idea to check for signs.

~Katy

PCC can be an all day event. We rented a car on Oahu for a week, but we happily parked the car and used a tour company to bus us to the PCC for the day. Used one of the Brigham Young University students as a guide while visiting the Polynesian themed areas of the Center; then, attended the luau later in the evening. Tour and dinner made for a great day. Nice to be able to imbibe and ride the bus back to the hotel once the tour/dinner finished. We did this many years ago days before boarding a ship for the mainland, so unable to recommend a tour company. We are truly happy that we chose the tour bus option, though.

I would love it if you would post a link to the pics! Thanks!

Here you go! https://www.flickr.com/photos/125297887@N07/sets/

I'm catching up on uploading. Currently working on October, I took a LOT of pictures then since I had company in town though so it is very slow going. Some beaches I don't have pictures of, others (like Makua) I have been to most recently and haven't gotten my pictures of them uploaded quite yet.

~Katy