Is safety an issue in Baltimore?

We are a fairly large group going on the Pride in October, some in the group are checking into hotels in Baltimore and safety has became on issue for them. Are there any areas that we should stay away from? Currently looking at the Embassy downtown Inner Harbor, how is that area?

I was there in July and it was super crowded because of the 4th. We stayed near Inner harbor and didn't have any problems or feel unsafe. Did see a man get arrested for fighting with a cop, and some kids being ridiculous/screaming to be dramatic, but I live in Boston and that's happened here too.

The free buses are great to get around and the train is easy peasy.

Don't watch "The Wire" and you'll be fine!

This made me LOL! If you make a wrong turn in downtown Bmore, you might think you're on that show.

All of the Inner Harbor area is safe and the waterfront is beautiful in warm weather. Go on yelp.com for some great restaurant recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we stayed at the residence inn which i believe is a block or so away. we stayed from thanksgiving to the Saturday. we felt safe walking around the waterfront and to a couple of restaurants, even at night. i believe we were about 3 blocks from the aquarium.

Safety is an issue everywhere, including the town where you currently live.

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites hotel you are looking at. It's a lousy hotel IMO. It was the worst Embassy ever -- smells like fried food, holes in the blankets, clogged sinks, understaffed, freezing in the hallways which are like wind tunnels. It's about a block above the state courthouse complex & across from the public defender's office. However, I never felt particularly unsafe. It's well lit. There's a nearby Charm City Circulator stop & it's only about 4-5 blocks from the harbor.