Water shoe/sock suggestions

KatPem

My husband and I enjoy snorkeling and beachcombing while on a cruise. On the last one, our decade old Nike Water socks fell apart. Does anyone have any suggestions? We don't like to snorkel in fins off the beach, but want our feet to be protected. So many shoes seem bulky so looking for any suggestions of ones that are comfortable to swin/snorkel in without being too cumbersome. Thanks!

AHOY SHIPMATES,

THOSE $30. dive shoes can be purchased at K Mart for $4.99 and on line for even less in several colors or black.

I take two pr on each cruise. My feet tend to swell and I cant get my regular dress shoes on for elegant or formal night, so I wear a pair of black ones with a TUX and nobody notices. Also the silver ones look good with a white dinner jacket. When they start to show some wear I use them for the pool and beach. Packing to come home use a plastic bag in case they are still damp.

DONT forget to remove them from bag at home. They will develop a distinctive aroma.

Always try them on for size. They are usually 2-3 sizes smaller than marked

SEA YA

Go to your local dive shop and buy a pair of booties - sounds like just what you need.

Unfortunately we are in Central Indiana and I don't know of any dive shops around here. Will booties offer enough protection/grip when having to walk over rocks?

I have tried the cheap ones and prefer to spend a little more to get a better fit. I think we paid $30 11 years ago for the Nike ones and they served us well, they just don't make them any more :(

We don't like to snorkel in fins off the beach

Not exactly sure what that means? Are you looking for booties you can use to walk on shore and then put fins on over them? Might try something like this? No charge to return for a larger/smaller size.

I have something similar and they are sturdy/grippy enough to walk on rocks, etc., but then I can put my open heel fins on over them.

Unfortunately we are in Central Indiana and I don't know of any dive shops around here. Will booties offer enough protection/grip when having to walk over rocks?

Try Google, I found 3 dive shops around Indinap' in less than 1 minute . . .

and one in West Lafayette (GO PURDUE)

one in Bloomington, Brazil ....

I too was going to say dive boots .... you can buy them with a tennis shoe like sole; and they can be just crew height like a tennis shoe, or ankle high, which I use a) because they tuck into my wet suit (!) and b) when doing something like DRF you have a bit of protection and support . . .

2203-DEFAULT-m.jpg2202-DEFAULT-m.jpg

see also a selection of 'wet shoes'

http://search.diversdirect.com/search?q=wet+shoes

25798-DEFAULT-m.jpg

4091-DEFAULT-m.jpg

4095-DEFAULT-m.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 9 months later...

For anyone in Australia reading this...

I bought a pair of aqua skin shoes for running in the pool and they are absolutely fantastic.

http://www.footskins.com.au/

They are like a 2nd skin and are so comfortable. Like I said... I've been running in the pool in mine and they still look brand new.

I bought the V2 Spiders

Almost $60 with postage but worth every single cent. :D