Need Info on Train from Pier to Gdansk

If we want to tour Gdansk independently, can anyone tell me how to get to the train station from the pier, and what the cost is for the train. We'll be on the Constellation July 3/04.

SOCRMOM- I will be on 6/19 sailing also. I went through all the pages of this forum and gleaned the following. Railroad station is a 35 min.

walk or a $5 flat fee taxi ride. Taxi would be cheaper outside gates of port, but are readily available at dock. Taxi to Gdansk is $25 each way. Train $2-$3. Trains run fairly frequently.

Sam

Sadrezin, do the taxis take $US for either the station or going directly to Gdansk? Even though we don't often do ships's tours, I'm thinking about it this time (walking tour with shopping time), as I have read here that the lectures on the bus during the hour to and from is interesting (plus there is not a lot of information on the boards on Gdansk, so would have to rely on travel books to organize our own walking tour). I'm looking for things to start showing up here since the first Baltic Cruisers deplyed last week, and should start updated information by this weekend. Thanks, RandyD

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from the Grand sailing on May 29. Regarding Gdansk and train travel.

1. It really is too far to walk to the station. Taxis are available. If you can pay in zloty it is a bit cheaper (20 zloty-$5).

2. At the train station in Gdynia do not go to the line of ticket windows that you see when you go in. This is for long distance trains only. You instead have to go to a kisok on the side where there is a person behind a window and get your ticket there. It costs 4 zloty ($1). Better yet, get two - one for your return trip too. I just wrote down on a piece of paper "Gdansk Glowny" and handed it to her. Very, very limited English is spoken, if at all.

3. You need to stamp your ticket before you get on. There are yellow machines all over for you to do this. There is a fine if you get caught without it.

4. Get off at the Gdansk Glowny stop. There are several Gdansk stops but this will get you closest to the town centre.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks so much for this practical info. Any trouble navigating the city on your own? What were the highlights for you? Happy you went into town? Will you be posting a review of other ports? Again, thanks tons.......

No problem, happy to help as the ships don't always give this information out readily.

Gdansk is very easy to navigate on foot. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of good maps available (I know there is a TI in town, I didn't actively search for it). If you want a good map of Gdansk get a copy of Let's Go. They have a good map of Gdansk in their Poland section.

I did three things in Gdansk. First I went to the postal museum where a group of postal workers attempted to resist the Nazi's right at the start of the war. The post office is still there and there is a small museum. Unfortunately everything is in Polish but you can get the gist of things by looking at the photos and other items on display. There is a beautiful monument to the postal workers outside.

I also did St. Mary's Cathedral. It's free to get in but you have the option for a guided tour. You can climb the dome to the top. It has a stunning view. But it is 400+ steps each way. I think I'm fit but even this tested me. It costs something like 2 zloty (50 cents USD) to go up.

Finally I did the Solidarity Museum. It was wonderful and the highlight for me in Gdansk. The Solidarity monument is definitely a great photo op and really a fascinating piece of work. It leads right into a museum with an exhibit called "Roads to Freedom." On the way you pass a piece of the berlin wall as you head into the exhibit. Everything is in Polish and English and very detailed. Lots of multimedia presentations. Definitely worth it and not on a lot of people's radar screens for sightseeing. I had the place to myself for most of the time I was there. Admission is about 5 zloty ($1.25).

Both the Solidarity monument and St. Mary's (and the old town section) are easy to get to. When you arrive at the station, head straight ahead to get to old town (about 10 minutes) and if you want to see the Solidarity stuff head the oppposite way towards Gdynia (about a 5 minute walk with lots of signage).

BTW, a tip. Poland is super cheap. I stocked up on bottled water here. It cost next to nothing (like 45 cents in the grocery store). I came back to the ship with a big bag with a couple of bottles of water and some Polish candy for about 12 zloty ($3).

I'm pinched on time at the moment but hope to post more info on the other ports later. However I'm happy to take individual questions for now on email and I'll try to get to them as soon as I can. (jsf25@msn.com)

Archived