Are my children too old for a Disney Cruise?

lisareneeo

I am thinking about a 4 night Disney Cruise on the Dream over Thanksgiving 2015.

My kids will be 19 and 17. We are a "Disney" family and have been to WDW about 15 times. We have also been on a Disney cruise (The Wonder) about 10years ago.

My children have been very lucky and have also been on 2 other cruises (Royal Caribbean) with several families we are friends with. They have also been to a few all-inclusive vacations. Most recently, this past summer, to Mexico (again with several families we are friends with). We went to Mexico celebrating 4 of the kids graduation from High School.

My son is away at college and Thanksgiving is probably the best time for us to go. My daughter will be a senior in high school. I was talking with my son today and "feeling him out" on the idea. I think he is most concerned as to what he will be doing at night. I did explain this is a trip to spend some quality family time and he is fine with that. I just don't want them to be the oldest kids on the ship with a bunch younger children.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/feedback from anyone who has traveled with children this age. I know my kids will enjoy a show or two but they are interested in what other activities are offered for people their age.

Thank you!!

The biggest problem I can see is that your kids will be in two "can't mix" age groups. Your 17 year old can go to the Vibe and do all the teen things but cannot go to any "adult only" stuff. Your 19 year old can do the 18-21 group and all adult activities except buying alcohol, but cannot go near the Vibe. Of course, they are both welcome in any family spaces and activities.

The 18-21 group is the relatively new permutation of the old "college group." It became 18-21 when there was an incident with a legal adult in the Vibe and DCL imposed a strict "18 and out" policy there. Unfortunately, there are a lot of high school kids who are 18. Placing them in the "college club" resulted in the college kids bailing (sorry, but there's a huge maturity difference between someone still in high school and someone who has been away from home for a year). SO, now they have the 18-21 group. It normally meets at 10:00 each night in one of the bar areas and then they typically move as a group to the adult entertainment venues. They also have at least one lunch get together. The CMs are willing to schedule whatever else they want BUT the key is the first night. Show up and make your desires known. If no one shows up or speaks up, the CMs won't schedule anything. If the group talks, they will schedule more lunch things, sports stuff, crafts, games, etc. as desired by the group.

Unfortunately your kids are at the age and separated by enough in age to hit the biggest DCL weak spot for families such as yours.

Your daughter will be able to go to Vibe if she wishes being 17, your son being 19 cannot. Vice versa for the college group your son can join.

Your son as an 18 or older can use the adults only pool and sunbathing areas and the gym.

Your daughter cannot apart from Vibe access times.

You son can join you but not drink in the adult district after 9pm and see the "adult" shows, but your daughter cannot. And the same for Palo or Remy the adults only restaurants.

edit: also some DCL excursions may be exclusive to 18+ they both would want to participate in.

It's a very difficult age separation you have between being classed as a minor or adult.

Personally, I wouldn't do a cruise on any line with two kids at 17 and 19 due to such disparities between adult and minor privileges until they are both classed as adult if you want quality family time. Wait a year and then things should be better.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

We did a Mickey Cuise when the daughter was 19, and couldn't be a "kid". Turns out by luck there was a relatively large number of 18 to 20 yo's so the CM worked with them and "closed" one of the bars and turned it into a club for them. They did several different dance club bars things for a few hours each evening, and did a river, karaoke, and scavenger hunts for them.

The key was there was a group who wanted something to do with people THEIR age and Disney made it happen.

As mentioned above, they showed up, and the Cm worked with them to make it happen. Sitting in the room complaining makes nothing happen.

And that's the key. IF the 18-21s show up on the first night and are vocal about what they want, the CMs will schedule it. We had one cruise with a very active group. On the other hand, we had a cruise where my daughter was the only person who showed up on 2 consecutive nights. She ended up giving the CM her name and number and said to call her if anyone else appeared.

Show up the first night or you lose your right to complain! That's the mom talking.

I did explain this is a trip to spend some quality family time and he is fine with that.

This was the part of the post that stood out for me.

And having a minor and an adult child not able to both be in the same adult or minor spaces would be a problem as I see it.

The OP hasn't commented back yet. I know they have posted the same question on another board.

I guess family dynamics will determine what is really important for them this trip and without any more information, anyone is just guessing.

ex techie

No they are NOT! We went last year with my 19 and 23 year old...Disney sat us at another dining table with "kids" the same age and we had a nice time at dinner. We still watched the Disney movies as a family, saw some shows, etc and they had a good time. Granted, lots of little ones around but they were not bothersome. Especially with only a four night sailing, you'll be fine. We headed to "adult" type shore trips and they both had fun.

No they are NOT! We went last year with my 19 and 23 year old...Disney sat us at another dining table with "kids" the same age and we had a nice time at dinner. We still watched the Disney movies as a family, saw some shows, etc and they had a good time. Granted, lots of little ones around but they were not bothersome. Especially with only a four night sailing, you'll be fine. We headed to "adult" type shore trips and they both had fun.

The OP's daughter is only 17 so not allowed to participate in any over 18 activities which "could" restrict that family time.

ex techie

Crystal, I too had a great time with 2 23 year olds on a cruise last fall. BUT that's not the problem OP has. Her problem is that one kid is a minor and one is an adult by DCL definitions. This means that they can do all the "family" activities together, but any "adult" activities would eliminate the 17 year old. That mean NO adult only departures on Port Adventures, no evenings in the pub, etc. Anything listed as "adult only," whether a game show, trivia contest, or variety show would be off limits to the 17 year old. It would honestly work better to wait till the 17 turns 18 IF the goal is family time. Now, if 17 wants to be on her own in the teen program, go for it now.

My son is actually on his way home from college today as I type. :) I thought that when he was home this week, we could all discuss it as a family. It is a tough call.

I appreciate everybody's feedback and opinions. Really gave me a good perspective on things. Thank you!!

We cruised on the fantasy 7 night New years my daughter is 19 son is 16 they had a blast they met so many new friends it was hard to get them to come in at night.This was our third Disney cruise and they and my wife and I love them.So I don't think your kids are too old have fun.Hope this helps

lisareneeo come join us on the Christmas cruise.No other time that we all have vacation. I also have a freshman in college and high schoolers. I am hoping that there will be lots of teenagers for all of my kids. We've cruised on the Dream before and my kids have always been in different clubs. One of my kids finds friends everywhere. The other two hang together or with us. We've traveled with friends and on other cruise lines. I know we will have a wonderful time with peers or without.