How to search forums?

sashas_mom

I would like to search the forums for all posts regarding Alaska cruises. Is this possible? When I click on the search button at the top of the page I'm told I am not registered to search the forums....or something like that. How do I register? How would I be able to search for a particular subject? Thanks for your help.

sasha'smom

Sasha's Mom, when you click on the search link and the search screen pops up it defaults to searching your subscribed forums.....see the right side of the screen under the yellow bar that says "Search Options". There is a scrolling window that says "select one or more forums to search" and you will see the the default is "search subscribed forums". Just choose one or more other forums to search....for example "Princess Cruise Line" or "Ports of Call: Alaska". Then click on the "Search Now" button.

When searching, the engine only searches subscribed forums. If you are not "subscribed" you have to tell it which forums to search. (Right hand list in advanced search, click on the Princess forum or all forums)

You can tell which forums you are subscribed to by clicking on your User CP (upper left corner, 2nd blue menu bar)

The following reply was sent via email:

Eileen, you may be seeing some issues with the recent “board problems” that have been causing slow response or no response when reading or posting to the boards. If so, you’ll just have to keep trying. However, I was able to get it to work for me…..on my second attempt…..the first time I tried your search I just got a blank screen.

Here’s what I did:

I clicked on the ‘search’ link near the top of the screen.

When the ‘Search Forums’ screen came up, I entered ‘alaska’ in the ‘key word’ box.

Under ‘Search Options’ I selected ‘find threads with at least 5 replies’ (just to limit the search a bit)

Under the ‘Select one or more forums to search’ I clicked on ‘Princess Cruises’ and then I CTRL-clicked on ‘Alaska

Then I clicked on ‘Search Now’

It returned 250 threads. If it still doesn’t work for you, try the following link….it should take you to my search results.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=2284107

I hope this helps. Good luck.

One thing to consider: if you type in "Alaska" in the Princess forums, you may end up with tons of threads because the search engine is looking for all posts that mention Alaska. So if someone had been to Alaska and put that in their signature or just mentions they would like to go there...well, that's why you will get so many pages to look for.

Someone mentioned looking at the destination forum and check out the Alaska forum. If you have a specific question, maybe that's the best place to start.

Also reply here with your question. I'll try to look again; maybe I'll know the answer (if it's about Inside Passage cruises).

DougH, Looks like you've been to Alaska a number of times and at different times. What month did you like best? My friend is concerned it will be too cold if we go end of May early June, which a lot of people seemed to like. Any input would be greatly appreciated. We are going out of Vancouver.

Hi cruisinchick,

Just noticed you are from Northridge. My husband and I lived in Northridge for years, near Plummer on Reseda Blvd (one of the buildings that was badly damaged in the earthquake).

Thanks for the offer to help me out. I'm still having problems with the search, I think it may be the problem we keep having with the boards because I clicked on a link that was given to me and it still came up with "no results".

I'm gathering information for a cruise to Alaska next Spring. I want to book it next month and am having difficulty deciding which would be the best time to travel. We love wildlife and would prefer it not be too cold for my mother in law. What was your experience, I'd love to hear it. Thanks again.

sasha'smom

If I had to pick what I think is the best time to sail Alaska I'd say first 1/2 of June. IMHO they earlier May/June tends to have less rain and its really not too cold. Some friends have all been sailing last week, and some more next week and they all report poor weather. I tend to sail early May for the best price as my last couple of time have all been B2B's.

Alaska is a great place, I prefer one way Vancouver to Whittier/Seward. hard to pick North or South, that's why I do both :) Vancouver is a great place for a day or two visit also.

Doug

Sashas's mom,

all this misery in NO remains me of being in shock for weeks after the quake. Was living at the time in Sherman Oaks, on Magnolia by the 405. Lots of damage there due to the closeness of the LA River. Hubby was bf at the time, moved into his home after the wedding, Near Tampa and Chatsworth.

We just went to dinner tonight at a restaurant just north of the old Northridge Meadows apts. that was the site of several deaths when it collapsed. You must have been in one of the nearby buildings.

It's hard to imagine such a total devastation and loss of life that just happened. And that it was taking such a long time for help to arrive.

We went to Alaska in August on a round trip out of Seattle. We wanted to go on the Sapphire or Diamond as they were brand new. We also wanted to go on a RT as we weren't going to do a cruisetour (our girl's not one for scenary).

Weather in Alaska in the summer (at least where we went) seems to range from sunny in the 70s to rainy in the 60s. We had the latter but some people who cruised the week before had sunny weather.

May's weather may be cooler than that.

In terms of wildlife, we saw a bear on a beach while going through the Tracy Arm Straits. And on our Ketchikan tour, the guide took us to a beach where there was an eagle nest. But I imagine there's plenty of other excursions where you see more than that. You may want to check princess.com and check out the shore excursions to see what they offer.

Thanks for the suggetions. I tried everything that was suggested, even clicked on the link that was provided and still "no results". Must be part of the problems they are having with the boards because all morning I keep getting blank white screens or that funny white screen with the posts but no background (don't know if you get that, but I constantly do). I will keep trying your suggestions, I do appreciate them.

Thanks also for your imput. It's so helpful to get info from people who have already done the trip. I realize there are no guarantees regarding the weather, but might as well try for the time of year people have had the best experiences.

I lived in the Northridge Meadows. There were twin buildings. We lived in the one that was devestated but not the one that fell. We had just moved out of there about a month before the Earthquake. When we went back to visit, the ceiling of our carport was on the ground (we lived on the first floor). Don't know what damage the apartment incurred. My heart goes out to all who were affected by the hurricane.

sasha'smom

I tried everything that was suggested' date=' even clicked on the link that was provided and still "no results". Must be part of the problems they are having with the boards because all morning I keep getting blank white screens or that funny white screen with the posts but no background (don't know if you get that, but I constantly do).[/quote']Search is running well at the moment, as are the boards. So give it another try.

Which forums are you selecting for your search? And which keywords? If you can post what you're doing, maybe we can see if we can replicate the problems.

One thing: When clicking the first forum that you select for your search, make sure that you are NOT holding down the CTRL button. This is to ensure that the default option of "Search subscribed forums" is toggled off.

Unfortunately, clicking on the link that was provided by SPI_Rick won't work any more because I think that search results are only valid for a short period - and they may not even be valid at all for any member other than the one that did the search.

"I lived in the Northridge Meadows. There were twin buildings. We lived in the one that was devestated but not the one that fell. We had just moved out of there about a month before the Earthquake. When we went back to visit, the ceiling of our carport was on the ground (we lived on the first floor). Don't know what damage the apartment incurred. My heart goes out to all who were affected by the hurricane."

Oh, my, god. That had to be something for you to see. Thinking back on that time and having to seek counseling (couldn't sleep for a few months--probably because I found my dresser had fallen on my bed during one of the shakes after I sat up-- except for my cruise), I can just imagine that, besides financial help, these people will need psychological help too.

Archived