cabin 3378 volendam noise?

beagle 24

There will be some noise, or perhaps a lot if it is under the bakery area. I can't quite remember for sure, but someone should come along and let you know. There may also be noise from the engine stacks and vibration. We had a cabin in this general area and wouldn't want to repeat it!

I don't understand the idea of "have been given 3378". Do you mean by your TA?

Why don't you pick your own cabin? It is your cruise, your money, isn't it?

Edited by SilvertoGold

I looked this cabin up. It was on the Zaandam, but both are R class ships, so they should be the same.

Ours was an assignment and the only one we have ever had that was bad. The vibration was serious: if you stood just inside the door you could feel the vibration very strongly under your feet; slightly less in the bathroom, and less in the rest of the cabin. The noise from that competed with the kitchen noise, mostly from the bakery area.

Personally, I would change cabins if this were my cruise.

It looks like your cabin 3378 will be just below the forward part of the Lower Rotterdam dining room. The most noise in the cabin will probably be during times when meals are served. The blank spaces just forward are small enough that they are likely to be storage.

If you decide to change, try to get below the Wajang Theater or the conference room just behind it on Starboard side or as close to the atrium as possible on the Port side. I believe the bakery where the noise starts very early is just forward of the aft staircase area.

It looks like your cabin 3378 will be just below the forward part of the Lower Rotterdam dining room. The most noise in the cabin will probably be during times when meals are served. The blank spaces just forward are small enough that they are likely to be storage.

If you decide to change, try to get below the Wajang Theater or the conference room just behind it on Starboard side or as close to the atrium as possible on the Port side. I believe the bakery where the noise starts very early is just forward of the aft staircase area.

3378 is between the mid-ship and aft elevators. The DR starts from the aft elevators, and goes back to the stern of the ship. It is not under the DR.

I don't see any "blank spaces just forward". ??

Edited by SilvertoGold

I looked this cabin up. It was on the Zaandam, but both are R class ships, so they should be the same.

Ours was an assignment and the only one we have ever had that was bad. The vibration was serious: if you stood just inside the door you could feel the vibration very strongly under your feet; slightly less in the bathroom, and less in the rest of the cabin. The noise from that competed with the kitchen noise, mostly from the bakery area.

Personally, I would change cabins if this were my cruise.

Not an R, but an S class. A friend had a cabin in a very similar spot, forward of the dining room and underneath "white space". She was not impressed. Every morning at 4 am she got woken by the noise overhead.

OP there are some "H" category cabins further aft, that are under the dining room. I've been under the dining room in the past and found that for me, there was little to no noise. If I wanted an H category I'd look at 3406, 3418, 3415 and 3403.

Silvertogold, do you agree about those suggested cabins?

Not an R, but an S class. A friend had a cabin in a very similar spot, forward of the dining room and underneath "white space". She was not impressed. Every morning at 4 am she got woken by the noise overhead.

OP there are some "H" category cabins further aft, that are under the dining room. I've been under the dining room in the past and found that for me, there was little to no noise. If I wanted an H category I'd look at 3406, 3418, 3415 and 3403.

Silvertogold, do you agree about those suggested cabins?

Hi, CP

I am so glad we never got an assignment in this location on a S class, but it is the same noisy location on those ships, too, as you say.

The cabins you note are all good! Excellent call!

I would go with not too far aft, as that can be noisy from the props/wake! I'd go with starboard as it does seem to avoid all the bad areas above. We spent 35 days just aft of the aft elevators and it was a super location!

No noise from the DR except when they did the (old) Mater Chef dinner and it sounded like a herd of elephants up there! At least we knew what to expect at late seating.

You still have snow up there, CP?

Edited by SilvertoGold

Hi, CP

>SNIP<

I would go with not too far aft, as that can be noisy from the props/wake! I'd go with starboard as it does seem to avoid all the bad areas above. We spent 35 days just aft of the aft elevators and it was a super location!

No noise from the DR except when they did the (old) Mater Chef dinner and it sounded like a herd of elephants up there! At least we knew what to expect at late seating.

You still have snow up there, CP?

The furthest aft of the H cat on Lower Promenade appear to have the dreaded staircase obstructing the view in one direction. Ugh! That's why I left them off the list.

Thanks for asking re weather. We are actually experiencing our annual "false spring". Warmish, sunny, not-at-all-like-winter. We are bracing for the end of it, when winter will blast back in :D Still have a bunch of snow, but above-freezing is nice. Helps maintain sanity :D

The furthest aft of the H cat on Lower Promenade appear to have the dreaded staircase obstructing the view in one direction. Ugh! That's why I left them off the list.

Thanks for asking re weather. We are actually experiencing our annual "false spring". Warmish, sunny, not-at-all-like-winter. We are bracing for the end of it, when winter will blast back in :D Still have a bunch of snow, but above-freezing is nice. Helps maintain sanity :D

"False spring": a good term. We might be having that here with cool days, cold nights, but glorious sunshine all day. The flowering trees are coming out a month early. They may be over by the time the Cherry Blossom Festival starts!

Hope your next cruise is great!

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for your feedback....much appreciated :)

Will be changing the cabin (if now possible!!)

Beagle 24, are you sailing in April this year? What is your embarkation date, as we are also booked in this stateroom as of April 13/15 and have the same concerns. Unfortunately, there are only 2 other staterooms available, at the very front of the ship, 3302 and 3303- not an option for us.

I'm on the Volendam right now in Vietnam, I'm in 6211 which is over the upper dining room, the constant elevator music from the Dining room underneath from early morning to late at night is driving us nuts, we did ask someone to check on it and they couldn't work out where it was entering the cabin from. Perhaps the aircon vent. If you do get another cabin avoid this back area if you can on your deck.

We were on deck seven, in a balcony, just below the aft pool on the Rotterdam, 7046, I believe. 39 days of racket above us, the band setting up for pool parties, guests moving their chair to get out of the sun. The worst was the frequent scrubbing of the deck in the early morning by the staff. Then all the chairs and tables were dragged to one area and then back.

Since we book a guarantee, I realize this is the risk one must take. On the Oosterdam we had a great cabin, only to not have A/C heating for 36 days. That was nerve wracking because the front office acted like we were crazy. They would send maintenance, who would declare it fixed, only to have nothing but recirculated air after they left. Finally one senior maintenance official admitted that the problem was with the location of the room in reference to the main system. Supposedly this design flaw was corrected in latter ships.

We've had a cigar smoker next to us and other annoyances. Never had much luck changing cabins, so just hope that the "cruising gods" are with us each trip.

Hi stelladoro no we are sailing 31st March 2016 from hong kong.

Hi Beagle - Also on this sailing - looked at this room, but got more adventurous and went to the bottom of the ship with a guarantee Cat. FF. First cruise without a balcony, but with the time of year felt we wouldn't miss the balcony. Also our first trip to Asia and looking forward to it.

Have you joined the Roll Call yet!!

DT

Hi Beagle - Also on this sailing - looked at this room, but got more adventurous and went to the bottom of the ship with a guarantee Cat. FF. First cruise without a balcony, but with the time of year felt we wouldn't miss the balcony. Also our first trip to Asia and looking forward to it.

Have you joined the Roll Call yet!!

DT

An FF guar is good choice!

You are right about the weather: it will be too hot to enjoy a balcony much. Also, this cruise is so port-intensive, you will be ready to drop, most of the time!

I remember our first cruise to Asia: it was this cruise as a Collector's, on this ship -- what a thrill it was!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Hi stelladoro no we are sailing 31st March 2016 from hong kong.

Hi Beagle 24, thank you so much for alerting us about this cabin. We were able to change our cabin to a better location, in another category for only a small cost. Hope you have success in changing cabins.

HI just got off the phone with TA she cannot believe how many cabins are left in Cat H . The only cabin HAL could give me was 3317 so we changed as there is no tender ports so they wont be using the anchor .Again I thank everyone for there help.:):):)

• 3 months later...
We are booked for 30 days next spring in 3387. Wondering if we will be affected by the galley? Can't quite figure out what exactly we are under. Thanks for your help!

Looks like cabin 3387 is located under the galley. I would be concerned about noise.

We had originally booked cabin 3378 for our 31 day Asia cruise and decided to change cabins due to the same concerns.

Changed to cabin 2655 on Main deck and were quite happy with it. Heard a bit of noise on some mornings from the walkers on the L. Promenade deck, but this was not a major concern.

Our cruise included the N. Pacific crossing and it was cool to cold on the ship, particularly on the L. Promenade deck, due to doors that open to the walking deck.