Kids in Belize

CCbaby817

I am looking for something to do with a 12yo and a 9yo. My daughter and I are deathly afraid of heights, so ziplining is out!

I know that the ship descriptions for cave tubing say that you hike through the jungle for 45 min, carrying your own tube, which means my husband or I would end up carrying my daughter's tube. :rolleyes: Is there a private tour that does not require you to carry your own tube?

My husband is interested in the ruins. Which site is best?

If we just wanted to see the town and have a local lunch, what are the must see places to see or eat?

I know this is kinda all over the place. These are just some of the things we've talked about doing. If you have any other ideas, please throw them out there. Thanks for any help y'all can give!

I think cave tubing is the way to go for your tweeners. the tubes aren't heavy. The guides help you. and if it's a 45 minute walk you're walking too slow.

For ruins, Altun Ha is closer. Often comes with a city tour. Xunantunich can be an all day slog, if there's delays. Like wise Lamanai, which is the furthest away. So if cavetubing is out, look at a tour to Altun ha with a city tour attached.

For city tour, you can walk right outside the gates of the tender port and hire a horse drawn carriage. But there are aggressive excursion hawkers that can be frightening to youngsters. For food, there's a couple of places with local cuisine nearby, Annie's lunchbox and Nerrie's. These places are local so might not have the atmosphere you'd look for. Bird's Isle is just across the swing bridge from the port and has more tourist vibes. Also in the port are a couple of places, the most popular being the Wet Lizard which has good food. There's also a Mojo's Chocolate Factory where you can see chocolates being made and treat yourself to some fresh made candy.

If you want to do cave tubing (a very unique experience for Belize) then if you book with a private vendor that comes highly recommended on these boards, you will not have to carry you own tube. It's a very unique experience and not only that, it's very educational and interesting as well. They tell and show you so many things that I think your children would find very interesting (both on the ride there and while hiking and in the caves).

I have 2 reviews with pictures listed in my signature line if you are interested in reading them. We have been twice now and used cavetubing (dot) bz each time and highly recommend them. No need to worry about carrying your tubes. They will be at the entrance to the water waiting on you. :)