Booking a cruise one or two weeks out

Rhino Dave

I am considering booking a cruise that is set to leave within 1 to 2 weeks of the time I book it. I know the advantages of doing that for the cruise would be generally that they are cheaper accommodations. Has anyone done this? The risk factor is what if the cruise I am looking at has no more availability and what would be factors in booking flights at that time. has anyone booked cruises at spur of the moment? Has anyone been caught in any traps by doing this?

I once booked a cruise 13 days ahead of time. The ship sailed out of New York City, and I live in New Jersey, so I didn't have to worry about booking flights.

If you are worried about the ship not having any available cabins, why not give the cruiseline a call or check it out online?

The mistake I made in booking the cruise only 13 days ahead of time was that it was on an NCL ship. I had sailed with NCL three times previously, but all of those times were before NCL went freestyle. When I booked the cruise on the telephone with NCL, I was told about freestyle when I inquired about first and second seatings and was told that there weren't any assigned tables. I asked if I would be seated with strangers, because I didn't want to have to eat all by myself every single meal, and I was told no problem, that people are seated with strangers all the time.

Unfortunately, I found out on the cruise that a major attraction for people sailing on NCL was that they wouldn't have to eat with pesky strangers, and whenever I asked the hostess if I could be seated with strangers, she would look at me as if I were crazy, and she would cautiously say that if anyone showed up and said, "We want to eat with a stranger!" she would seat them with me. And it never happened. And after I was seated, the waiter would grab the extra plates and silverware off the table, even though I tried to tell him that maybe someone else would be showing up.

This took place before the NCL trotted out the Epic and Breakaway and whatever ships they have with solo studios.

I booked a cruise in January nine days prior to the cruise date. And because it was cheap. However, living just twenty-some miles north of Port Everglades I didn't have to worry about flights.

I would think that even if there was availability and cheap rates on whatever cruise you were considering, the cost of airfare (provided it was still available) that close to your sailing date would probably eat into whatever you saved on your cabin. It seems like most people who book that close usually live near enough to their departure port so that they don't have to worry about flying.

I would suggest book your flight with Southwest if possible. They don't charge a change fee and if you don't take the flight you can use it as a credit towards another flight at a later date.

I am considering booking a cruise that is set to leave within 1 to 2 weeks of the time I book it. I know the advantages of doing that for the cruise would be generally that they are cheaper accommodations. Has anyone done this? The risk factor is what if the cruise I am looking at has no more availability and what would be factors in booking flights at that time. has anyone booked cruises at spur of the moment? Has anyone been caught in any traps by doing this?

When I'm booking late (as I often do, although not quite THAT late), at the same time I'm looking at the cruise, I'm looking at airfares. If it looks like the combination will work, I'll try to book the cruise (with a courtesy 24 hour hold if possible) and then get the airfare right after.

Haven't run into a problem yet!

• 4 weeks later...

Last year I booked a cruise 4 days before sailing. I got lucky since the flight was very reasonably priced. Last minute cruises are the best, supper cheap rates. I also booked a cruise a week before sailing but from NY where I live and didn't have to worry about flight, which is the best option.

I would suggest book your flight with Southwest if possible. They don't charge a change fee and if you don't take the flight you can use it as a credit towards another flight at a later date.

I agree. I hope Southwest does not change its policies. I enjoy the convenience of being able to re-book at no charge and checked bags free.

• 1 month later...

I've done it twice and most recently in January of this year. I found the cruise ab out 10 days prior to sailing and before I booked it, I looked and saw what was available for flights as I live in Virginia and the cruise was out of FLL. Once I booked the cruise, then I immediately booked the air - it was about $200 R/T and it was on American Airlines. I loved it and hope to cruise last minute again this winter.

I always check the rooms available and know exactly which cabin I want before I book so I'd advise for you to just search the cruise line sites to see whats left. Flights - same deal. Go to expedia or priceline or the airline site and see how much a last-minute flight will run you. Personally, if I can cruise+flight in the mid 3-figures then its great.

My December cruise was only booked ten days ahead of time, but I had already made plans to go to Miami for other reasons.

So that is a possibility, plan a vacation that you would enjoy if no cheap cruise comes up that way, no cruise - fun, cheap cruise - fun.

A win-win situation. Do so something, anything but sitting at home mopping that you are bored in your vacation time.

I found for my last 2 Breakaway cruises I would have been better off booking last minute. One for price and deals, one for just having to call and do the upgrade on the phone.

I can get to NYC without flying, and actually did a 2 weeks before 5 years ago.

My plan for this fall is the following:

Putting in for the week off around 4 months in advance-

About 3 weeks in advance will do much of the packing (due to work schedule the preceding weeks)

Probably within 12 days I will book, potentially I will wait until Columbus day which would be 6 days before.

If I don't cruise, i'll just do something else locally.