Impt tip re: cash vs credit cards at Chankanaab

Flafun888

Hi all: just returned last week from a fabulous KY/Cozumel cruise. Wanted to share an important Chankanaab tip...all the veteran cruisers and travelers here no doubt already know this, but perhaps I can save another new cruiser from making the rookie mistake I did. Don't rely on credit cards: even when it's a safer place like Chank AND they claim to accept them.

I checked the park's website and called them to confirm they accept credit cards - they said yes. And they did: at their ticket booths and shops. But they didn't mention there's a "cash only" policy for all food/beverages served on beach or by snorkling area. I didn't want to walk around with too much cash, so we brought more than enough for cab and tips, plus extra for a drink or two/sundries, plus 2 diff credit cards, in case we had a problem w/one.

After ordering full meals and drinks on the beach, our server brought the bill, only THEN informing us that no credit cards were accepted. Why he didn't mention it when we ordered or why there isn't a sign or line printed on the menus is beyond me - maybe I missed it. But I'm sure we weren't the first tourists to assume that if the park itself accepted credit cards, park services could be purchased with them as well.

After paying and tipping him in cash, we didn't have enough for our return cab trip. We figured we'd use a credit card to get cash from the ATMs....tried 3 diff machines in 3 diff areas with 2 diff credit cards! None were working. There was no one else around from our ship we could ride with and split the fare. By this time, we were getting nervous. :eek: We had allowed plenty of time to return to ship until we ran into these problems. It was getting late.

We took the cab back; explained our situation to the driver and I stayed in the cab and rode with him as he dropped off pax at the other pier while my DH literally ran to the ship for more cash and back to the cab station. A wonderful good samaritan who was waiting in line to return onboard saw my panicked husband and insisted he take the cash to save time going thru ship security and to our stateroom. Such a wonderful guy...after finding him later to repay him and thank him, we talked for a while. (He already had the drink pkg or we would have bought him several as thanks.)

Makes for a good story now: I got a quick scenic tour of the Cozumel strip and it was a lesson well learned. Don't rely on technology!