Royal Princess - 2nd Cruise with Norovirus Outbreak

C-LAD

I have seen the hand sanitizer that kills Norovirus here in our little town. The regular type, (non norovirus type) causes my hands to break out and eventually skin to split. I'm not sure if the Noro killer one will be as harsh on my skin. Anyone have experience with it?

I religiously wash my hands when cruising. Also I use my elbow to push the elevator buttons. I don't want to use my hands if I can avoid doing so. So far, so good. I've been on the Crown and the Ruby when Noro was rampant and didn't have Noro. We received updates on number of cases from the captain on the hall speaker/TV channel each day.

I agree, it is very hard to keep your hands away from your face. Even as I posted that, my eye started to itch and I had to rub it.

I agree, it is very hard to keep your hands away from your face. Even as I posted that, my eye started to itch and I had to rub it.

If it's hard to keep your hands from your face, you may want to carry a Kleenax in your pocket to use as a barrier between your fingers and your face. I keep one handy in a pouch around my neck, and reach for it if I need to scratch my eyes.

....and never eat anything with your hands! Ever!

I agree!

I have been known to even eat cookies with a knife and fork.

Once,on the Crown, I was eating a cookie like this at the HC and a man seated nearby made a nasty comment to his wife about me using a knife and fork that way.

I guess he never had a bad stomach virus either on a ship or at home!

Be careful and wash your hands!

Just looked around, inc. CDC website, and couldn't any info on the Royal having any outbreaks. Just wondering were the info came from?

There was a website I used to look at the listed cruise ships. It gave the CDC scores. I can't remember the websites name.

I'm currently on the Royal and sad to be returning to port tomorrow. It has been a lovely 10 days. While we are aware that there are cases of noro on board - it hasn't affected our cruise. We are following the guidelines - washing our hands with soap and water and only using the washroom in our cabin.

I agree!

I have been known to even eat cookies with a knife and fork.Once,on the Crown, I was eating a cookie like this at the HC and a man seated nearby made a nasty comment to his wife about me using a knife and fork that way.

I guess he never had a bad stomach virus either on a ship or at home!

Be careful and wash your hands!

Some people just take cookies with their hands - or touch the serving utensil and then lay it back with the handle touching all the other cookies. That is a pet peeve of mine, when the ladle handle touches the food in the buffet! Ewwwww!

We are newly elite, have to drop our rental off at latest 1pm, our delayed boarding is for 4.15 as we are on emerald, can we board earlier, say be there at 1.30 for first boarding? as preferred boarding and can we then go to the elite lounge?

Where is the Royal departing from today? :confused:

Some people just take cookies with their hands - or touch the serving utensil and then lay it back with the handle touching all the other cookies. That is a pet peeve of mine, when the ladle handle touches the food in the buffet! Ewwwww!

On the Caribbean Princess recently, we were not allowed to touch the serving utensils. All food was served to us by Princess staff, including in the Horizon Court. I don't know if this is always the case, though.

This is very true. Purell makes two formulations, regular Purell and Purell Instant Ultra. Purell Instant Ultra is the one that includes copper, and is the one that Princess uses:

http://www.drugs.com/otc/115038/pure...ant-ultra.html

Hand sanitizers with copper have been proven to kill norovirus:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265803.php

Sorry, but that second link does not show that "Hand sanitizers with copper have been proven to kill norovirus" . It specifically states copper surfaces kill the noro virus. Nothing about small amounts of copper salt in a hand sanitizer kills norovirus. In fact the copper gluconate is used as a fungicide. Nothing to do with killing viruses. And Purell's own website don't have that product even listed now. So can't check any claims. Maybe discontinued?

After you wash your hands.....don't touch anything. Use a tissue to open the RR doors. I use my skirt if nothing else is there...

I carry one of those small pocket-size packs of Kleenex with me when I travel. I use them to open restroom doors if no paper towels are available, as well as pressing elevator buttons. I hate being sick on vacation, so IMO it is well worth the minor inconvenience.

Sorry, but that second link does not show that "Hand sanitizers with copper have been proven to kill norovirus" . It specifically states copper surfaces kill the noro virus. Nothing about small amounts of copper salt in a hand sanitizer kills norovirus. In fact the copper gluconate is used as a fungicide. Nothing to do with killing viruses. And Purell's own website don't have that product even listed now. So can't check any claims. Maybe discontinued?

There are several links on Google, including one study by Emory University (I can't get to link), that indicate one version of Purell is effective against Noro and other viruses. It may be that Purell uses different names for products in different markets. Some references, including the above study, list the virucidal version as Purell VF481.

http://www.sellesmedical.co.uk/store/product/3176-Purell-VF481-Antiviral-Alcohol-Hand-Gel-350ml-9696-12

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity

Just looked around, inc. CDC website, and couldn't any info on the Royal having any outbreaks. Just wondering were the info came from?

Posts from passengers on the next cruise who were contacted by Princess about boarding the ship later because of the cleaning.

The cruise lines are required to report to the CDC when the cases of gastrointestinal illness go above a certain level (2%? 3%? something like that), but they can choose to do a deep cleaning of the ship before it gets to that point, presumably to try and head it off before it reaches outbreak levels.

Whatever, GandM-nq. How do you keep well on cruises?

I've never gotten the Noro on any cruise and I've cruised dozens of times. I just pay attention to what I've touched, always wash my hands, and bring a little spray bottle of commercial Clorox hand sanitizer everywhere I go. Not saying it kills Noro - just saying I've never come down with it.

An on ship right now....we disembark in a few hours. I will work on my review when I get home but just want to say, this ship is huge! So many people and not convinced it's actually Noro. The staff are vigilant about every person washing hands prior entering the Horizon buffet but I was amazed that there has been no soap or hot water in ladies room outside princess theater all week. Really feel it's just too large a ship to keep immaculately sanitized, and not sure what else besides making sure there is soap and hot water in public bathrooms, the staff can do!!!! Will go into more detail as I said from home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That should be "Most hand sanitizers do nothing to prevent Noro".

There are now some hand sanitizer products that contain ingredients that CAN kill the noro virus. Just that these products are relatively new and not yet widely distributed. You may need do some searching to find, but they are out there in the market place.

As to the hand sanitizer lotions used by any of the cruise companies.... I have no clue what is in them but I will assume they are still the older alcohol based lotions they have used for ages, which don't help control/kill the Noro virus. Until I hear to the contrary, I will continue to use my own hand sanitizer that I know does also kill the noro virus.

But of course even if you have a Noro killing hand sanitizer, won't help if the food you are eating has been infected by someone before you even get it :(.

Guess the best advice is, have your own virus killing hand sanitizer. And if there is a hint of Noro on board, avoid the self serve.

GERMSTAR NORO available from AMAZON (6 2oz Spray Bottles)for approximately $21.00 includes shipping!

It seems to me that using the hand sanitizers before entering the buffet protects others from the germs and viruses on YOUR hands, not the other way around. It would make more sense to use it after you handle the serving utensils. Of course, if everyone took precautions it would be be a moot issue.

It seems to me that using the hand sanitizers before entering the buffet protects others from the germs and viruses on YOUR hands, not the other way around. It would make more sense to use it after you handle the serving utensils. Of course, if everyone took precautions it would be be a moot issue.

The only situation here is to only eat at buffets when staff are serving (this is only typical during an NORO outbreak) or avoid eating at buffets at all!

It is true, if everyone washed hands and used Germstar Noro spray for the hands, there wouldn't be any Noro outbreaks. Folks that ues Germstar Noro prevent themselves from spreading bacteria but not the other way around!

We just disembarked the Royal. While there were cases of Noro reported by the ship's captain during the cruise and precautions were instituted, we are not aware of a large number of cases. There were none on our area of the Dolphin deck maintained by our room steward or the steward for the area adjacent to ours. Each worked 19 staterooms. We were on the Caribbean Princess the week before the Royal. Noro was on it also; numbers of cases unknown

We were diligent with hand washing and minimized food service in self-service Areas unless the crew was serving. None of the individuals we met new of specific passengers who were sick with Noro.