Help with New Orleans Geography

Cuttle

I have a question for anyone familiar with New Orleans that the networks never seem to mention, but maybe there is someone in the know. They keep showing aerial pictures of the breeched canal. On one side, the water flooded into what I presume is the city and residential areas, but on the other side everything looks dry and the levees were not breeched. My question is, can people remain or stay in these dry areas that were not flooded? Do they or did they evacuate also? Was there a lot of damage from the actual hurricane and not the subsequent floods? Can they return? Is there electricity and water etc.?

Kudos to all the agencies and volunteers helping with this disaster and those helping to provide accommodation etc. I've sent my money in but there is nothing much else I can do from afar.

Cuttle,

I think that you are talking about the area of Lake Pont. where all of the water drained from that flooded NO. The leve that broke was on the north side of NO between the lake and the city.

Richard

Richard & Judie, I hope you all are doing well and didnt get too damaged! Our prayers are with all hurricane victims all over.

Hi,

There are areas of New Orleans that are not flooded, but no one is being allowed into those areas either. There is no electricity or water. All highways into New Orleans have been closed. Today they are going to let people back in to survey their property if they can show proof of residency. But it is my understanding that they will not be allowed to stay, though how they could prevent it I'm not sure. Or why anyone would want to stay, but this is what has been reported. We have lots of friends and relatives in the city as we live about 80 miles away. None of them are going to try to get back in today, even to survey the damage.

Paula

Thank you for your replies Richard and Paula. They shed a little bit of light on my inquisitive mind. All the very best to your family and friends Paula, and to ALL the evacuees. It will be an unbelievably hard and stressful time for all. Not having lived in or being close to a hurricane I just can't imagine what it is like, losing absolutely everything.

Both an educational and fun download is Google Earth. There is a free version at:

http://earth.google.com/

The graphic displays are first rate and zoom capabilities are impressive. I easily located the levee breech location. It takes a bit of practice to learn how to use the controls and other search features, but it's well worth the time.

Note: These are satellite photographs, not live satellite feeds. Don't ask the DW to go out in the front yard and wave.;)

Thank you Stevesan and Grumpy. The sites you directed me to are sure impressive and very interesting. Wow. Now I have a better feeling for the whole NO area. Thanks again. I'll be spending some time checking out the aerials.

Ziggy,

Thanks so much for the kind words. We did pretty well here in Mobile. Personally we had roof and fence damage and will need a new roof. DW and I can't wait for our cruise in Oct. just to get away from all of this for a while.

Richard & Judie

Archived