Bay of Island NZ Tender Experience

Mr. Click

It is our last stop on a 12 night trip on the Solstice in November. Ships tours options are not so great but I worry about dealing with tendering without any perks and making it off in time for a 9:30am private sailing tour. The ship is scheduled to arrive at 7am. Any one have experiences to share? I did look on the ports of call board and found little there so I am hoping to find Celebrity real time experiences here.

We are looking at a private sail charter out of Bay of Islands...would you mind linking the website of the company you chose? Thanks!

I didn't realize we tender in Bay of Islands...I would think 9:30 would be makeable, especially if you have status based on your cabin category or Captain's club level.

We did a private charter of a yacht and sailed around the islands last October. Only 12 of us onboard and it was a superb day out! The tenders docked at Waitaingi Reserve? And there were plenty of free shuttles that took you into town...Paihaia which took 10 mins tops.

Right in front of the pier building where a lot of tours depart from. Prob took 30 minutes all up. Just make sure you get a tender ticket ASAP once they announce them and be ready to go...we found they moved pretty quickly. Oh if your tour departs from Russell, and the tenders still dock as above you will need to allow time for the short ferry ride over there from Paihaia.

Normally that tour company you listed will give you a pickup option or explain how to get to their departure point. Enjoy, we found it a beautiful place and look forward to revisiting again on a future cruise !!

FYI, the sailing day we did was onboard the yacht 'she's a lady' and if you google it will find their website easily enough if anyone is interested [emoji2]. Enjoy your day !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Without a tender priority it's a long line. With this plan and a tight window I think your setting yourself up for a good dose of stress, problems and disappointment. If this was my choice I would either book a ships excursion or once you finally get off the tender boat book an excursion at the pier. I prefer my own tours too, however, Celebrities excursions are very good as well.

Edited by Shake

We visited Bay of Islands on Solstice in November 2014. We left the ship on one of the early tenders with no difficulties. We think we had to get tender tickets but can't remember for sure.

Basically we were off early, got shuttle to Pahia and then ferry to Russell arriving about 9.15 am before most places were open and with no problems.

I´m off Solstice with this itinerary in February. I had a ship´s excursion in Bay of Islands but a private tour in Akaroa which is also a tender port. In Akaroa, I was at the place where they issued the tender tickets 1 hr prior to the scheduled time. They started at 8 AM (as announced in Celebrity Today) and I was there at 7 AM. Several people already waiting at that time. I heard people who showed up at 7.45 AM complain about being on time and getting tender No 15. I made it on tender No 1.

So if you book an independent tour for the morning be sure to be in line for tender tickets early!

You may be in line early but those that have scheduled tours thru the cruise line have priority as do all Elites and above. Those in suites also have a priority.

You will also have to wait for the ship to clear the authorities before it can start tendering.

There can be a lot of added stress as others have posted.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞