Bar bill gratuities

MawganTr

As Cunard cruisers only (so far!) my husband and I are looking at a trip on Azura to the Fjords in the summer. I have trawled the P&O website and can't find anywhere that says how much is added to the bar bill. I've found the £5 a day added to the onboard account but not how much it is for the drinks. It's not necessarily a deal breaker but would be useful to know.

Whilst at it...any comments on Azura would be useful. You Tube clips look great but we have read a couple of less than positive reviews. Having said that, I'm very keen and am close to persuading my husband!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi...if you are referring to the 15% that American ships add to the drinks bill then no added tip is added to the bar bill on P&O...it is the price that is stated...it was when we sailed with them a couple of years ago.

As far as a couple of negative reviews I don't think any ship on any line will have 100% positive reviews all of the time....I go with the majority of what people comment...there is always someone...somewhere to give a negative

We usually cruise with Celebrity and 15% is added to any drinks so we don't give any extra. However, we will be on the Ventura next week and just found out that nothing is added for the waiter. Do you add it to the tab when signing or give cash - if cash then which currency?

The daily tips are very reasonable in comparison with other lines so who benefits from this?. Or, should I say, who does not get a share?

I believe alcoholic drinks and bar prices in general are roughly the same as in a typical local good quality pub and within this the gratuity is included. Neither dear or cheap.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

On P&O the gratuity is built into the price of the drinks so the waiter gets that. Nothing extra is expected or required. However, if at the end of the cruise you have a particular barman who has served you well, a cash tip may be given. Pounds, Euros or dollars would be acceptable.

The daily gratuity you pay goes to your cabin steward and restaurant waiters.

Brian

Thank you all for the info. re tipping.

Now another query - if we have a different waiter each night how do they allocate our tips?

We usually just leave the auto tip and then just forget about it all. Over the years we have been cruising I have read many arguements about this topic and I see everyone's point of view. We finally decided that this seems to be part of their wages (rightly or wrongly) and we don't want hard working staff to miss out.

The auto tip goes to your cabin steward and restaurant waiters, roughly 50:50. Not sure exactly how it is divided, like does your junior waiter get the same amount as your senior waiter? Don't think anyone knows the answer to this.

Brian

Edited by BrianI

all the auto tips go into a common pool and are then shared out amongst the crew according to an agreed formula. So your waiters get money be they in club or freedom restaurants. I don't know what happens with the buffet.

Bar waiters get a %age of the headline price of the drinks. You can't remove it and it is not listed on your payment slip. I have been told it is 12% but can't confirm that. I understand all those bar 'tips' are pooled for the bar in question.

all the auto tips go into a common pool and are then shared out amongst the crew according to an agreed formula. So your waiters get money be they in club or freedom restaurants. I don't know what happens with the buffet.

Bar waiters get a %age of the headline price of the drinks. You can't remove it and it is not listed on your payment slip. I have been told it is 12% but can't confirm that. I understand all those bar 'tips' are pooled for the bar in question.

And the waiters will move between bars so that they each get a busy one and therefore make more money.

You will notice that the bar stewards always give your card to a waiter for him to do the transaction. The bar stewards are on a different pay system and do not get tips.