Has This happened to YOU?

Well, I am upset, Its Sunday eve. on a holiday weekend so I know I cannot resolve this till tuesday. GRRRRRRRRRR I am not very patient when it comes to my cruises. I am a addict.

We booked a aft cabin on Legend of the Seas for 12/3/05 sailing. 11 Months in advance. Why so early, because we wanted a aft cabin. We booked cabin # 7634. Very excited and counting down the months. Its almost here. Yeah

Today I am messing around on RCL website and I go to pre reg. In the corner it shows us assigned to Junior Suite # 8072 that is not a aft Cabin. I dont care about a junior suite. I want to be on the back of the boat.

So I left a message on my cruise agents phone line to correct it. Now I have to wait a few days and I am mad. Has this happend to anyone else and how was it resolved.

Susan

When you booked 7634 did you tell them you would not be interested in an upgrade?

I don't know about the rest of you but as a rule I book the room I want. If the line wants to change my room after confirmation they need to contact me for approval or be prepared to refund my complete purchase price. IMHO!

Bill

I would take the upgrade. I have not been in an aft cabin but I would think that a junior suite is better than an aft balcony.

Have you been in an aft cabin before.

Are you sure that it is worth the downgrade.

You might regret your decision later so seriously think it over.

It did happen to me.

Granted, I was not upgraded to a larger cabin on a higher floor; we were put in what many would call a less desirable cabin. In our case, it wasn't a big deal since both cabins were fine with us, but I'd have certainly preferred an upgrade!

In your case, I'd be VERY upset! They think they're doing something nice, but they really should contact you first. I don't get the switch, either, since they both hold the same number of passengers.

I've booked JS 1694 on the Explorer for next year (15 months in advance!) and I will cancel the cruise if they try to move me! Unless, of course, it's into an owner's suite!

Barb

It never happened to me. We had an aft cabin last time. The advantage to the aft cabin is the balcony. You really have a bigger balcony. The Jr. Suite is definitely roomier than the aft. Our friends had that one and it was nice. I think even the bathroom was bigger. Enjoy the upgrade.:D

I have read of this happening to others and if I remember rightly they did not get their orginal cabin back. Your orginal cabin will have been assigned to someone else already most likely.

The cruiseline will not contact you directly if you used a TA to book the cruise, they are supposed to contact the TA and then they contact you but in many cases the TA does not or just accepts on your behalf especially if you did not tell them you definately did not want an upgrade. Booking a specific cabin number/deck does not mean the cruise line will not upgrade you at random, you must state at time of booking NO upgrades.

Let us know what happens....

I have never sailed in an aft, but I noticed that many cruisers are very passionate about them.

I have sailed twice in the JS category (one via booking, one via upgrade), and these are nothing to sneeze at...lots of room, walk-in closet, full tub shower/bath. We will be cruising in an E cabin this October, and I know I will miss the space of a JS (as I am now permanently spoiled!)

All this may not be any solace to you, but a JS is...pretty darned nice! I say, if you still want your aft, then go for it. But if they moved you because your party is smaller than that of the assignees who now have "your" cabin, I think you will be fighting an uphill battle.

Have a great cruise, whatever the results!

I would take the junior suite.....

I have never had an aft cabin balcony but I have been in a jr suite, and I would go for the jr suite. Yes...the balcony on the aft cabin is larger...but...how much time do you spend on your balcony compared to the time you spend in your cabin? I would rather have more living space, than balcony space.

I received an upgrade and RCi didn't check with me or my TA first. However, I was happy abut it since I was changed from an E3 hump to a D1 hump cabin. If I had been moved off the hump, even to a different D1 or JS, I would be upset.

I have 9256 booked on Radiance for Alaska. It is a corner D1 aft. I will be very upset if I get bumped from it. I told my TA to add a note to my file that the only cabins that I will accept as an upgrade are a higher level corner aft. I want the balcony size more than the cabin for Alaska since we'll have two other couples traveling with us. We need some space to view the scenery.

My MIL booked a cabin on deck 8 (VOS), RCCL made an error and assigned her to the same cabin # on deck 9 (ie 8664 to 9664). She did not want to be on deck 9, as she had booked a cabin near my SIL.

We called our TA who then called RCCL and we had to wait a few days for RCCL to contact the people that they put in the cabin on Deck 8, and offered them the deck 9 cabin. Apparently they took it, cause she is back to her orginal cabin #, although the luggage tags are incorrect. No big deal

Debbie

We had an aft cabin booked on our recently completed cruise on the Jewel. I called C&A about something and was told we had been upgraded to a JS. When I told hime I didn't want the upgrade he said I would have to have my TA call. And they would just upgrade whoever had been given our cabin. My TA called and we did get our original cabin back.

I would take the JS in a minute! So, consider carefully before you complain.

We had the much discussed aft corner 1688 on EOS. We then had side Junior Suites on MOS and NOS. The JS's were much nicer than 1688, even though 1688 does have a big aft balcony.

We love the JS's. The side balcony is very spacious. And, we love that the indoor furniture arrangement is such that your sofa and chair are by the window (instead of the bed), so if it's windy out, you can sit inside on your sofa and still have a lovely ocean view. On MOS we had one very windy sea day -- so we spent the day inside the room rather than on the balcony. It was lovely. The JS is very spacious with tons of storage and a nice walk-in closet. The bathroom is larger and you have a tub and upgraded shampoo and other amenities. The sofa bed is much more comfortable in the JS's.

Also, our JS on MOS was on the hump and right by the elevator. The convenience was great. The aft cabins are a long walk from everything.

In short, if I had aft 1688 again and RCCL took that away and give me a side JS instead, I'd be thrilled.

Thanks everyone for responding. And thanks NYDEE I am hoping this will be the case in my situation. I spent all night on the internet checking other cruise web sites and learned this ship is sold out. I called RCl and spoke to "Bruno", he said he could not help me because this was made through a travel agent. I would have to call a different number today. I called and spoke to "Paul" who was very short with me didnt want to help or even listen to my problem. He said I made the change. (please) then he told me this was made on friday 9/2 by Harry Torres in the Revenue Department. Before I knew it he transferred me back to reservation department. I then spoke to "Emily" who said since this booking was made through an agent my agent would have to help me get my booking back. (she was pleasent) She also told me that Paul should have not have given me the name of the employee or date that the change was made.

I know it sounds silly, esp. when there is so much tragedy in the south. But this is really upsetting me. And having to wait (due to Holiday weekend) is making me crazy. I would change ships but I already bought non refundable airfare. GRRRRRrrr

Is not the personal service that one looks for the main reason to book with a TA. You probably can get your cabin back, as whomever now has it, will be upgraded to the JS you do not want, and you will get your aft cabin. That will make you happy and the person previously assigned to your cabin extremely happy to be given a JS.:D

Ah, this is why we ALWAYS tell our TA to make sure that we specify NO upgrades. My hubby and I love the aft cabins, and would hate to lose one, even for a bigger room.

We don't spend a lot of time in our cabin, but we DO love using our big balcony. Why sit outside by the pool, with the crowds, the noise, and the waiters pushing drinks, when we've got a great space to relax, and listen to the water go by?

I hate to start anything here but I'm afraid someone wanted that cabin. Was it by any chance a triple or quad? Royal Caribbean has no way for a ta to specifically say you do not want to move they just do it. Princess there is a specific place on their website, at least the ta site does, to say no upgrades and if they do upgrade or move you, you have a 3 day option to decline it. Just wanted to offer some thoughts. I know I always book a specific cabin also, inside highest deck and I would be very upset if I was moved without my consent. Don't be upset with you ta yet, because more than likely RCI never notified them.

Here's what wrong here.

RCCL makes a changes that does not involve TA.

RCCL says talk to your TA to fix it.

It's not TA's problem, TA does not get paid extra to solve RCCL's problem.

RCCL should take care of the problem at the customer's request no questions asked.

TAs get paid very, very little for each booking. After the shake-out that put the days of the 10%+ commission behind them, they are instructed by the Agency Owners to spend as LITTLE time as they can on every booking, and to charge a fee for research and other value-added activities. Then the TA that you think is watching over your booking to avoid surprises leaves the agency and you find out 2 months later when you call.

Oh, and my call was to ask them to fix my birthday, which was entered wrong at booking and I know if it does not match my passport it will cause trouble. Response: You can fix that yourself at the RCCL web site when you do your online checkin. I'll be booking direct next time.

Love the Aft of the ships, My wife and I were on The Carn Glory a few years back and loved the aft of the ship, was a wonderful experience, but, Now going on our next cruise with the kids in November on the Voyager, ships sold out, no upgrade chances with this one. I would take it as an experience and see what happens,, maybe you will find a new love for your rooms. Happy cruising

I dont care about a junior suite. I want to be on the back of the boat.
I would take the JS over the aft any day. We also had 1688 D1 on the Mariner. While it was nice, it didn't compare to the JS we have had in the past and we didn't care to be stuck on the back of the ship. Felt like we missed so much of what was going on to the side and front of the ship.

It's all just a matter of priorities. I've seen the aft corner balconies on the Vision class ships and they are huge, as big as the cabin:eek: The other aft cabins do have a larger balcony, but I would trade any day for a JS. I guess it boils down to which is more important, a larger balcony or a larger more luxurious cabin.

Reggie:D

Archived