Allure 3-1 to 3-8

Here is a little feedback for anyone interested. It was our (wife and me) first time as diamond plus. We have been on Allure multiple times in the past.

There were no engine issues or propulsion issues that we noticed. Everything was on time and no vibration other than the normal stuff. So the prior thread on that didn't fit our experience.

The concierge lounge was fantastic. So much nicer than the diamond lounge. It will be an absolute shame if they remove it as they are doing on Oasis. The breakfast and lunches there really made are trip. So relaxing to eat there and the service was outstanding.

A few had posts regarding the pub. On draft was Amstel Light, Heineken, and I think Stella. Boddington's is no longer on tap per the bartender. There were easily 20+ choices of beer in cans/bottles. The pub singer is very good but the music is too mellow for us. Same with the Schooner bar. For more upbeat music check out the regular band in Dazzles or "Those Girls" in the VCL. Both great and lots of fun.

For those interested one of the flowriders was out a couple of the days. Apparently it was like that the last cruise as well. Both were running on our last day so hopefully the problem is resolved.

There were about 2000 Canadians on board (mostly French Canadian from what I experienced). Some Brazilians but not like what I read in mid February. No issues to speak of and in fact I met a couple of young Brazilians doing the flowrider during the week and they were as nice and courteous as could be. The only thing I heard was a stateroom attendant complaining as apparently almost all his rooms were Canadians and they all had all there auto tips removed and didn't tip cash either. He was distraught. Absolutely shameful behavior.

I am leaving a lot out. Feel free to ask any questions. Allure looked great and we had a blast. Can't wait to go again.

That is too bad that the 'Canadians' removed their auto tips. Not sure what their nationality has to do with the removal of tips? I'm canadian and when I sailed disney last year and the previous year I gave a large cash tip in addition to the automatic gratuities.

Edited by Natmom

That is too bad that the 'Canadians' removed their auto tips. Not sure what their nationality has to do with the removal of tips? I'm canadian and when I sailed disney last year and the previous year I gave a large cash tip in addition to the automatic gratuities.

Rather embarrassed to be Canadian if "removal of tips" is the reputation that we are getting.

I too am Canadian and I always leave more than the auto tips

Not sure if it does. Just repeating what I heard.

Also they did a show in the vcl with the Chicago cast doing their favorite show songs solo. They went one by one for 2 hours. Packed house and a great show. Don't miss it if they do it again and you like that type of thing.

Forgot to mention that. None at all and we met many poeple. Didn't hear of anyone sick and all seemed normal. Washed like they suggest and we were fine.

Did you hear of any reports of the virus on the ship?

Yay,

It sounds like you had a great cruise. What time were you able to board last Sunday? do you know if they offered wine packages? Some on this board have said that a few ships have brought them back. You said you were on time for your ports. We have a taxi picking us up at the pier at 11:15 in St. Thomas. We have a group of 33, and someone on cruise crited suggested with a large to pre arrange taxi service. Do you think that time would work? Were you there at 10:00? and how was it getting off the ship at any of the ports? We have not sailed on an oasis class ship yet so not familiar with how it is with this large of a group getting off.

Thanks so much,

Linda

Yes,

A great cruise indeed. We didn't get the port early but we got on in about 15 minutes or so at around 1:30-1:40 ish. It seemed most were already on board by then. I think we arrived pretty close to 11 in St. Thomas. I thought that was our normal time so perhaps we were late. It was extremely windy early to midway through the week so much so that they closed deck 16 one day (the flowriders, the bar, etc.). I have never seen that before. The winds were very strong when we docked so that could have been a reason for docking close to 11 but I don't really know. My recollection is that we weren't late and the scheduled time was 11. Maybe someone else on the same week can chime in to help. Anyhow, I'm guessing the officers on the bridge really earned their paycheck when we docked with all of the wind. It was still extremely windy even once docked. We waited a bit to get off the ship and it was easy and fast but I can't tell you what it was like if you tried to exit right away. Wish I had better info for you. Sorry. However, in my opinion the Oasis class loads and unloads better than Freedom class if that is any help.

Yay,

It sounds like you had a great cruise. What time were you able to board last Sunday? do you know if they offered wine packages? Some on this board have said that a few ships have brought them back. You said you were on time for your ports. We have a taxi picking us up at the pier at 11:15 in St. Thomas. We have a group of 33, and someone on cruise crited suggested with a large to pre arrange taxi service. Do you think that time would work? Were you there at 10:00? and how was it getting off the ship at any of the ports? We have not sailed on an oasis class ship yet so not familiar with how it is with this large of a group getting off.

Thanks so much,

Linda

I know enough to say that tipping habits certainly vary country by country and person by person in each country and the worker I heard was not fond of Canadian tipping habits (honestly, he shouldn't have been vocally outward about it but he was). I also know enough to say you can't judge all the people in country or group by the actions of some. It did make me wonder if perhaps French Canadians tip more on a Euro standard as opposed to the standard more typical in the US? Either way, this isn't my problem and I'm not trying to create a whole thread on the topic. I just wish people wouldn't stiff these workers that work so hard (and I know people from any country do this from time to time). For what it is worth I met lots of fun and friendly Canadians.

Rather embarrassed to be Canadian if "removal of tips" is the reputation that we are getting.

I live in South Florida and the French Canadians/Quebec residents, have a terrible reputation with service workers for not tipping or terrible tipping.

Same here in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Also they did a show in the vcl with the Chicago cast doing their favorite show songs solo. They went one by one for 2 hours. Packed house and a great show. Don't miss it if they do it again and you like that type of thing.

This sounds wonderful!!! WE were on a Celebrity cruise, and the production singers/dancers and the band did the same thing - put on a 2 hour jam session of their favorite songs - and it was a highlight of the cruise!!!

Can anyone confirm that Jerome Sueur was the cruise director?

Edited by DonnaK

I know enough to say that tipping habits certainly vary country by country and person by person in each country and the worker I heard was not fond of Canadian tipping habits (honestly, he shouldn't have been vocally outward about it but he was). I also know enough to say you can't judge all the people in country or group by the actions of some. It did make me wonder if perhaps French Canadians tip more on a Euro standard as opposed to the standard more typical in the US? Either way, this isn't my problem and I'm not trying to create a whole thread on the topic. I just wish people wouldn't stiff these workers that work so hard (and I know people from any country do this from time to time). For what it is worth I met lots of fun and friendly Canadians.

glad you explained further. perhaps he had decided they wouldn't tip well as soon as he met them and maybe his service reflected that. He should be more professional and be discreet about sharing his feelings with other passengers. anyhow , no one should remove tips unless the service was horrendous.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Glad you had a great trip. Strange complaint of them linking Canadian with not tipping. Not sure why.

One question about Allure and main dining room. Did you do traditional dining or My Time? If My Time, how did you find the waits?

We did late seating. We requested a 2 top and were seated at a 6 top. Nice folks so all was well. Only ate in the mdr 3 times but it was very good each time.

Glad you had a great trip. Strange complaint of them linking Canadian with not tipping. Not sure why.

One question about Allure and main dining room. Did you do traditional dining or My Time? If My Time, how did you find the waits?

As I find time I will post a few other things some of you find helpful/interesting.

We did dinner at Giovanni's twice. Both nights were very enjoyable. However, my fillet was ordered medium and was on the sides but by the time I was to the middle of the steak it was rare at best. I didn't eat the whole steak as I was very full anyhow. My wife ordered the fillet the second night and again it was under cooked by quite a bit. This one was sent back. Once seemed reasonable. Twice was surprising. Not sure if anyone else has had a similar issue but check your steak in the middle when you get it. Also, our waiter said we could order as much as we wanted of anything. That was independent of the steak being under cooked. That went for entrees as well.

We had a Central Park balcony (deck 10) right above the bar which was a first for us. We have had regular balconies and boardwalk balconies in the past. I was surprised how loud it was. During the day it was the band from the pool and general pool noise. At night (nearly every night) it was what ever live music was playing. We had no issue with the noise as it didn't bother us, just surprised we could hear it as much from inside with the balcony door shut. I don't ever recall our boardwalk balconies being near that load. I was under the impression the CP balcony would be quite. Overall, we still liked the cabin but not seeing the ocean like on the boardwalk was certainly a con for this cabin category. It was much cheaper however so we were happy all week with our CP balcony.

Another observation is that the pizza just ain't what it used to be. I don't know if they changed the sauce or what it is but this is now our third cruise in less than the last 12 months where we thought the pizza is different. Now I'm convinced they changed it (and for the worse in my opinion).

They also rarely had chocolate chip cookies at cafe promenade. Oh well, it saved my waistline a bit. It seems like they now focus more on those cheesecake lollipops, etc. and less on cookies. This has been noticed on the last few cruises as well.

Edited by topnole

Great feedback. I've heard others comment about the pizza (how can they mess up pizza?) and have also heard about those "famous" chocolate chip cookies. Gotta look for them as well.

I'm with you...offhand you would think that Central Park would be quiet (vs Boardwalk). Good it didn't bother you though. And yeah, I'm sure if you're used to cruising on outside cabins, it must seem strange not seeing the water.

We were on this cruise also. The headliner group was Abaracadabra but they aren't scheduled to be back on the Allure until the week of April 5th. It was our first Royal Caribbean cruise and it was great. We loved the shows and the ship. We had my time dining and had made reservations for 5:30 or 5:45 each night and we got right in as soon as they opened the doors and sat at the same table each night with our group of 4. Had excellent service from ShellyAnn. Our cabin steward was one of the best we have ever had. Overall it was a fabulous cruise.

Thank you for sharing your review. My family and I will be sailing on Allure in 11 days! Woo! :p

I was wondering if you knew who the Headliner entertainment was on your cruise?

Headliner entertainment was an ABBA tribute band called ABBACADABRA. I wasn't too impressed with my 5 minutes of listening, but if you love ABBA you'd probably love the tribute band.