Must Try Eats and Drinks

jacqueline926

This upcoming August my boyfriend and I will be visiting Bermuda from a Sunday at 11am until Tuesday at 5pm with the Norwegian Dawn. We are big foodies and love trying new and delicious things. We don't plan to eat all of our meals while there in Bermuda but would like to try one dinner (Sunday night around 8- we will rent a Boston Whaler that afternoon and would like to go somewhere after returning it) as well as a great lunch spot on Tuesday (we will spend that day exploring the island on our own with the transportation pass). Money is not an issue - a pricey spot would be fine, but a super cheap eating with the locals spot is awesome, too. We're not looking just for a fancy dinner wee looking for the best food and experience.

Also, what are some great must try drinks on the island and where do we find them? We will have a free alcohol package on our ship so we don't want to spend much on that on the island but I'm sure there are some drinks that are not to be missed!

This upcoming August my boyfriend and I will be visiting Bermuda from a Sunday at 11am until Tuesday at 5pm with the Norwegian Dawn. We are big foodies and love trying new and delicious things. We don't plan to eat all of our meals while there in Bermuda but would like to try one dinner (Sunday night around 8- we will rent a Boston Whaler that afternoon and would like to go somewhere after returning it) as well as a great lunch spot on Tuesday (we will spend that day exploring the island on our own with the transportation pass). Money is not an issue - a pricey spot would be fine, but a super cheap eating with the locals spot is awesome, too. We're not looking just for a fancy dinner wee looking for the best food and experience.

Also, what are some great must try drinks on the island and where do we find them? We will have a free alcohol package on our ship so we don't want to spend much on that on the island but I'm sure there are some drinks that are not to be missed!

Afternoon tea at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess hotel is quite an event. The pastries are out of this world [all made in-house] and the service is elegant and refined. It retains a very old-school, colonial feel to it and is quite enjoyable. Definitely enough food for a filling [late] lunch.

I can't recommend a dinner spot as we ate on the ship but I'm sure someone will chime in about that. As for drinks, you must have a Dark & Stormy; it is a delicious [but sweet] signature drink of the island.

Enjoy Bermuda!! It's such a beautiful place.

What would be the recommended dress for afternoon tea at the Fairmont?

Country-club casual would be fine. Nice trousers/skirt/Bermudas with a decent top. As long as your are not tattered and ripped you will be fine. It's not overly formal.

In fact, last time we went it was in the midst of a deluge of rain; we were COMPLETELY soaked like a group of wet puppies and we still got seated. It was an extreme amount of rain and they put towels down on the seats for us because we were so wet haha.

Thank you Bostonjetset.

I see you're going on HAL Boston to Bermuda. I looked into that right up until final payment on our Breakaway cruise. The HAL itinerary is much better. I'm jealous. Hope you enjoy it.

I agree that the HAL itinerary is better but the Breakaway is a lovely ship and you will most definitely enjoy it! We sailed on her inaugural season and were very impressed with the beauty of the ship. There is SO much to do onboard as well. Have a great time!

Food?

Bermuda fish chowder at the Hog Penny in Hamilton.

Drinks?

Rum Swizzle at either of the Swizzle Inn locations. The Dark and Stormy is made with rum and ginger beer which is not a beer at all but rather, sort of like ginger ale on steroids. Not everyone cares for ginger beer. The Rum Swizzle is the sweet one made with rum, pineapple and orange juice and grenadine or falernum. Swizzle Inn serves the fish chowder but, IMO, Hog Penny's is better.

Dinner?

http://www.mickeys.bm/

Afternoon tea at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess hotel is quite an event. The pastries are out of this world [all made in-house] and the service is elegant and refined. It retains a very old-school, colonial feel to it and is quite enjoyable. Definitely enough food for a filling [late] lunch.

I can't recommend a dinner spot as we ate on the ship but I'm sure someone will chime in about that. As for drinks, you must have a Dark & Stormy; it is a delicious [but sweet] signature drink of the island.

Enjoy Bermuda!! It's such a beautiful place.

Hubby and I are so trying this when we go in May. Thank you for the review. Happy cruising. :)

Lorie

Thought this might be of interest to anyone thinking of going to high tea!

Everything featured on the menu, including the breads, scones and pastries are homemade in our pastry shop then served on elegant silver trays alongside steaming pots of English tea in fine Belgian china kettles.

Afternoon Tea at The Fairmont Hamilton Princess is an experience not to be missed.

$34 (plus 17% gratuities) per person

Hours of Operation

Offered daily from 2:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Please note that due to an exciting renovation project at the hotel, Afternoon Tea will not be available from September 1, 2014 through April 1, 2015.

We're not big "fish sandwich" people -- or, at least we weren't until our Bermuda cruise, last year! :D

The first day in port, we stopped at the Frog-and-Onion for lunch -- and had the BEST grouper sandwich. Every place we went after that -- from Hamilton to St. George's -- had a great fish sandwich on the menu. We were hooked!(pardon the pun) ;)

Edited by wwcruisers

Go to Art Mel's Spicy Dicey for a fish sandwich you'll never forget. Get it with raisin bread with spicy coleslaw.

Thanks for the recommendation. We're planning another day in St. George's on our upcoming trip -- will check it out. :D