Immigration Question

doowopbob

We are taking a TransAtlantic leaving from Southampton going across to Boston and than NY and on to Bermuda after which we go back to the US port of Canaveral in Fla. and wind up in Miami. We are planning on leaving the cruise in Canaveral. I know we clear Immigration in Boston since that is our first stop in the US. Does the whole ship have to clear immigration again in Canaveral after leaving Bermuda. I'm trying to figure out how long it will take so I can figure out when to book our flight.

Yes, the whole ship will have to clear Immigration at both stops, Boston and Florida.

You should contact Celebrity and apply for a "downline disembarkation permission".

Last year's cruise also had both immigrations on the schedule, but then the winter weather intervened and we did not stop at Bermuda at all.

Several dozen of us had applied for, and been granted, the downline disembarkation and left the ship in Port Canaveral. We put our luggage out the night before as usual, and it was delivered to the terminal on disembarkation morning.

But, because we had not stopped in Bermuda, there were no Customs/Immigration formalities.

Entering the US in New York was bad enough that we were thankful not to have to go through it twice. And it was bad enough that I won't be on your cruise with you -- one CBP check per cruise is quite enough for me!

In any case, contact Celebrity for the downline disembarkation permission. And because we did not go through Customs and Immigration at Port Canaveral, we really can't give you any help or advice for how much time to allow.

CBP has varied from very fast to taking over 3 hours to disembark. The reason is simply the events and threats of the day. As cruise ships are sort of low profile they often pull agents from the ships to other duties. Give yourself plenty of time as you can have any number of things delay you. A couple weeks ago CBP in the US was a threat level #1 and airports were taking up to 2 hours or more. Heard Miami was similar in getting of a Carnival ship.

Personally DW and I always want to not stress out about trying to make a plane. Easier to either leave that afternoon or even the next day and not worry about the "what ifs". cannot predict what will happen.

Yes, the whole ship will have to clear Immigration at both stops, Boston and Florida.

But, because we had not stopped in Bermuda, there were no Customs/Immigration formalities.

Entering the US in New York was bad enough that we were thankful not to have to go through it twice. And it was bad enough that I won't be on your cruise with you -- one CBP check per cruise is quite enough for me!

You said it all! I doubt that we would consider the itinerary again because we are unlikely ever to consider going through US Immigration twice on one cruise [and we had priority both because we were in a Michael's Club suite and had booked an excursion through Celebrity].

CBP has varied from very fast to taking over 3 hours to disembark. The reason is simply the events and threats of the day. As cruise ships are sort of low profile they often pull agents from the ships to other duties. Give yourself plenty of time as you can have any number of things delay you. A couple weeks ago CBP in the US was a threat level #1 and airports were taking up to 2 hours or more. Heard Miami was similar in getting of a Carnival ship.

You have to remember that Immigration at the end of a transatlantic is not the same as at the end of a Caribbean cruise. The crew also has to pass through immigration. If the port of call is also not the last port in a cruise, then everyone has to disembark and pass through immigration before anyone can re-embark - even if the weather is freezing cold and miserable an there are no facilities for hanging around at the terminal.

Some cruise itineraries are more challenging than others. I am not saying that cruise lines should not offer these itineraries but people do need to understand the challenges. There were [otherwise apparently intelligent] people on our cruise without suitable clothing for cold weather. This is not the first cruise where we have seen this. I imagine it will be the same on our next cruise [a transpacific from Shanghai to Vancouver]. We were well prepared for cold weather, excited about cruising into New York and realistic in our expectations but New York was still pretty miserable at times!

Edited by Project_gal

You should contact Celebrity and apply for a "downline disembarkation permission".

Last year's cruise also had both immigrations on the schedule, but then the winter weather intervened and we did not stop at Bermuda at all.

Several dozen of us had applied for, and been granted, the downline disembarkation and left the ship in Port Canaveral. We put our luggage out the night before as usual, and it was delivered to the terminal on disembarkation morning.

In any case, contact Celebrity for the downline disembarkation permission. And because we did not go through Customs and Immigration at Port Canaveral, we really can't give you any help or advice for how much time to allow.

Did you have to disembark in the morning or could you come back on board after immigration and leave later?