dawn vs CCL (elation, conquest, dream)

maisweh

Just wondering the differences between cruise lines and ships, these specifically. I only sail out of new Orleans and kind of want a change from CCL... it would be about a $160 difference between the dawn and dream, with pretty much the same itinerary, with the exception of the dawn going to an extra port instead of the extra sea day.... and dawn has OBC or Ultimate Drink Package for free (whatever that is).

so, anyone that's sailed both (or all) care to help out?

I havent sailed both....YET. Last year we sailed our first time ever on the Dawn and in 40 days or so we board the CCL Breeze. I will say one thing about comparing. The Dawn is a "smaller" (still huge to me!) and older ship. We still loved it. It doesnt have all the water parks and slides etc that the bigger ships (the Dream, which I think is the sister to the Breeze?) have so it will depend on what you are looking for.

When we were preparing for our cruise last year, I read many reviews of the Dawn about how old it was, about it being in disrepair etc etc. We didnt see that but maybe being our first one, it was all just so amazing to us that we overlooked it. We had a great time.

Im sure you will get many more detailed responses but just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

The Ultimate Drink Package will be the alcohol package. Drinks are expensive so you will get them included in that package.

OBC is on board credit which you can use toward drinks and other pay serviced on board.

Edited by dltvermont

we actually normally do quick last minute trips on the elation, 4 or 5 day ones. surely its bigger and in better condition than it? lol

I figured it wasn't as big as the dream, but with all the nit picky cutbacks carnival is doing, I figured why not try a new line

Ive read, not experienced, that the shows arent as good on Carnival. The ones we saw on the Dawn were very good and all live.

We ate at the buffet most times as we just didnt want to bother with the MDR. Not five star food but we arent picky and it was good to us.

We really had no complaints with the Dawn but then again we were new and as I said with the food we arent that hard to please so take it for what its worth.

Hi all!

I've been on both Dawn (x2), Dream & Breeze (x2). I really liked Dawn as the staff is great, the food was good, entertainment very good & the ship is a nice size. I don't frequent the pool area or bars so can't comment on them.

If you like a drink the UBP could be a great perk! We recently had a little beverage package on our Cuba cruise which left us with a tally for the week of only the tips & internet, a nice change!

Change can be a good thing so give it a try & see what you think.

~ Jo ~ :)

Dawn is a good ship with a great crew . :)

Try it. :D

I see you've been on the dawn quite a bit....

I used this http://cruises.travelandleisure.com/compare/18-177/Carnival-Pride-vs-Norwegian-Dawn just now, just to see. seems carnival has some things that Norwegian doesn't have.... but how does the service, food, etc. compare? i'm searching and reading all over. thinking to surprise the wife