Jewel Sawyer Glacier Excursion

webzila

What is the name of the add-on Sawyer Glacier excursion on the Jewel that I saw mentioned and recommended?

Is it called "Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer"?

That's the closest match I see and it says it starts at 1:15 PM. Is that after the ship leaves Juneau or right before?

We wanted to first do an early excursion to see Juneau and then do this add on to see the glacier. So just trying to figure out the itinerary and this particular stop.

Thanks

Pearl doesn't go to Sawyer glacier.

Jewel goes to Sawyer Glacier

Pearl goes to Glacier Bay

Sorry, just reading from their website since I was looking into the same tour. I guess they haven't updated the information for this year?

What is the name of the add-on Sawyer Glacier excursion on the Jewel that I saw mentioned and recommended?

Is it called "Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer"?

That's the closest match I see and it says it starts at 1:15 PM. Is that after the ship leaves Juneau or right before?

We wanted to first do an early excursion to see Juneau and then do this add on to see the glacier. So just trying to figure out the itinerary and this particular stop.

Thanks

Yes, that is the correct name for the small boat excursion. It leaves right before the ship leaves Juneau. They take you down their "I95" corridor and they open up a small gang plank to get you onto the boat.

When we took the excursion, both the ship and the boat ended up going to Endicott Arm, rather than Tracy Arm, due to ice. The small boat got within 1/2 mile of the glacier and we also saw bears, otters, and whales. The ship got to 3 miles from the glacier. I am not sure if the ship stopped to see any of the wildlife. I personally think the excursion is worth it.

Yes, that is the correct name for the small boat excursion. It leaves right before the ship leaves Juneau. They take you down their "I95" corridor and they open up a small gang plank to get you onto the boat.

When we took the excursion, both the ship and the boat ended up going to Endicott Arm, rather than Tracy Arm, due to ice. The small boat got within 1/2 mile of the glacier and we also saw bears, otters, and whales. The ship got to 3 miles from the glacier. I am not sure if the ship stopped to see any of the wildlife. I personally think the excursion is worth it.

Thanks for the info. So I am guessing we can go on excursions in Juneau before this one since it starts right before the ship leaves.

What kind of conditions are on the little boat as you head toward the glacier? Is it cold?

Thanks for the info. So I am guessing we can go on excursions in Juneau before this one since it starts right before the ship leaves.

What kind of conditions are on the little boat as you head toward the glacier? Is it cold?

We did this in May of 2013 while on the Jewel. I think the small boat for the tour departed about 15-30 minutes prior to the ship departing. We were able to go to Mendenhall Glacier prior to the tour. Loved it, because we got to walk around and see the water fall and the glacier. Beautiful

I personally think it was the BEST Ship shore excursion I have ever been on. Now weather is "IFFY" in Alaska. As I said, I went in May. We happen to have 50-60+ degree weather and Sunny for our entire cruise. I've read and our tour guides said, it is often rainy and misty and cold. It is the luck of the draw.

On our tour, we saw whales, sea lions, mountain goats, bears, bald eagles and we made it to Tracy Arm. We got so close to the Glacier, it was amazing. We witnessed the calving and could hear it. It sounded like thunder. Photos and pics do not do it justice. Experiencing it is the way to go!

The boat had two levels. The top level was open and was very chilly while traveling, better when it was stopped in front of the glacier. There are also seats up there but it was very crowded so no seats were available. The lower area was only a little cool and had large windows to look through. The day we did this it was rainy so the big windows had lots of water spots and window glare. Attached are a few pics. In the pic of the Jewel, she was 2-3 miles back.

100_1215.jpg.2a36b03c181e4adb51d998f5d31d254a.jpg

100_1253.jpg.7fe7e3a2cd1ce0342b91dd04316a08b0.jpg

100_1286.jpg.f0a8477b5fd533ff45074b72bd9484a6.jpg

100_1267.jpg.b93903941a66e91ee0e462a5759e98c7.jpg