Balcony door question

taecruise2

I totally bow to your greater knowledge. Just wanted to see what he had to say, too.

The only time we left ours opened was waiting for room service. Couldn't hear them otherwise. But, I did notice that when we went out onto the balcony, if we pushed the door opened all the way, it caught and stayed opened. Then we had to pull it hard to close it again. Maybe a defective door? We were on the Conquest.

No, this is a safety latch, so if you are transiting the doorway with hands full, for example, or with a little one, you can latch the door open, and not have it run back and get you or your hand due to vessel motion (even a slider, if the ship is pitching even a little, can slide on its own). Not all of the doors are self-closing types, lots of accidents with pinched fingers on both balcony and cabin main doors.

Part of what John says is correct. It will shut off the "majority" of the air, which is the 80% recirculated air, leaving only the 20% supply air. And the door switch is really not intended for fire purposes, but to keep from having to air condition the outside through the balcony door. It is the first of the "green" initiatives (touted as green, but really a fuel/cost saving measure), like the cabins that turn the power off unless there is a card in the slot by the door (and cranks the a/c back a few degrees).

Another suggestion, if you are determined to hear the ocean while you fall asleep: My husband slept out on the balcony a couple nights by lining up our deck chairs with his feet on one and his head (with pillow) on the semi-reclining chair. I could never sleep like that, but he said it was an amazing nights' sleep.

If you are lucky enough to have a larger balcony with a lounger, I think it could be a very comfy place to sleep.

I, however, am very happy to sleep inside. :D

When the steward is making up your room, they use a doorstop to prop the door open.

When they're done, they leave it under the closet, right across from the bathroom door.

It wedges perfectly in the balcony door.

Just be sure to put it back in the morning.:D:D

Nothing better than listening to the ocean and letting the ship rock you to sleep at night. It's one of the best parts of cruising.:D

This is exactly what we do. We love listening to the waves at night as we fall asleep!

Sorry! Didn't mean to call you the maintenance man. I thought engineer but I wasnt 100% certain. :)

That's okay, that's what a marine engineer is, the Maytag repairman, 'cause there's no one else to call, we fix it all. And all the maintenance guys work for me.

Edited by chengkp75

This is exactly what we do. We love listening to the waves at night as we fall asleep!

I realize I'm not going to stop anyone from doing this, but I'll just point this out. The ones they used on my ship, was a wedge that fit under the cabin door, not in the hinge jamb. However, when you use it for the balcony door, the threshold is too high out on the balcony, so you take the wedge and jamb it between the door and the hinge jamb. As I've said, this distorts the hinges, and makes frequent replacement necessary.

I can only speak from experience. We usually cruise with friends in 5-7 cabins. DH and I are usually in the middle. All of us cruise with our balcony doors propped open only at night......and half the time it is because the air is so cold coming out in the room. :eek:

On our last cruise...we did not prop the doors open due to storms at night.....we all thought it was horribly humid in the cabin!!

Maybe the DREAM is weird!! Could not get any of our cabins cool enough. They did cool down a little from embarkation day...but everyone's cabins were hot.

Can we leave the doors open at night to listen to the ocean? I have read that it will turn off the air conditioning ....

Thanks

My door on the Sunshine locked into the open position if needed. Yes, it turned the A/C off as soon as the door was opened.

That being said, it clearly states on a sign next to the door that the door is NOT to be left open.

Edited by Out to sea!

This just goes to prove that some people are so inconsiderate! " Thanks for the info on the ladder holding the door open! We tie ours with the belt to the robes! Put a book in the crack! Bring a bungee cord!!" May the sweat of a thousand camels trickle down your booty crack after each and every shower on your next cruise because someone has figured out a different way to HOLD THEIR BALCONY DOOR OPEN!!! [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Its must more of the " ME, ME, ME" generation.

The its MY vacation and I'll do what I want generation.

The bringing a baby into the MDR generation

Its must more of the " ME, ME, ME" generation.

The its MY vacation and I'll do what I want generation.

The bringing a baby into the MDR generation

Jerks and self-absorbed people come from all generations. Some of the worst people I've ever encountered were from the so-called "Greatest Generation"

Our balcony door on the Victory stayed open on it's own. We only kept it open long enough to bring the room service trays out there, The downside to keeping your balcony door open is that if you open your exit door it creates a wind tunnel and all your papers will blow off the counter and you risk the chance of that exit door slamming.