Carnival Loyal tries Royal

Hi Everyone – first time posting on the Royal side – I've spent the better part of the last 6 years only reading and reviewing the Carnival posts.

So, why did I switch…easy, my friend needed one more point for Platinum on Royal before her big family cruise in October and convinced me to go with her on a quick 3 day on the Enchantment of the Seas – and since I have a 25yr class reunion on EOS in August I thought I could try her out. So, I will compare some differences that I noticed. First one would be that on Carnival you don’t have to have your points for status before your first day on the ship – if you move up in status while on the ship – the whole cruise will have you at that new level. Example, DH and I need 5 more nights to make Gold on Carnival but our 8 day in May will have us as Gold the whole cruise – not that big a deal but for Platinum it would be.

So, we set out the morning of 3/6 and headed to Port Canaveral from Jacksonville – easy 2 hour drive. We got to the Port at around 12:30, parked at the New Terminal 1 for EOS and breezed on the ship with no issues at check in at all – we boarded on Deck 4 and our rooms were on deck 4 so we hung out in the lobby for about 30 minutes got our first drink and waited patiently until our rooms were ready right around 1:30 – dropped off our carry on we brought on – no big suitcases for a quick 3 day - got our Drink cups for our beverage packages that had been pre-purchased online and left in our stateroom (good job RCI on Carnival you have to buy the Cheers program on the ship) and headed to the Park Café to try the Roast beef sandwiches everyone on here bragged about – but to our disappointment they only had roast pork (for the whole 3 days no Roast beef). Still a good little lunch, no AC in the Solarium the first day, it was a lot humid in there – we made our way out to the deck for some people watching. We had to go to Muster drill before sail away but it was quick and painless – except the guy in front of me that kept making this annoying clicking noise to get his wife’s attention 3 rows over – not sure why they weren't together or why he needed to keep making the annoying clicking noise but that was the only bad part of the muster drill. I do feel bad for the people that feel the need to keep talking and not listen to instructions in the event of an emergency; they will be the ones that go down with the ship…

Back up to deck 9 for sail away – it was super windy and cold – we were looking forward to the next few days in the Bahamas – the forecast was supposed to be sunny and awesome. Living in Jacksonville I can’t say we have seen as bad a winter as others have but it’s been unusually cold for us too – and I’m a Florida girl so 40* is cold to me.

After sail away we had a snack – we eat often while cruising...it’s my weakness. No Guys burgers on Royal – I did hear from my friend that the bigger ships have Johnny Rockets but it’s a Fee restaurant not included in the cruise fare. Also, we could never locate the Pizza – we kept being told by staff that you could order it from Room service and I did see someone with a slice the 2nd day we asked where they got it and they said Park Café – we went looking for it – and yes for a few hours during the day Park café does have Pizza. But there is not a designated Pizza location on EOS.

I liked the ability to use the Coke Freestyle machine on EOS – just wish the machine in the middle of the ship on Deck 6 next to Latte’ titudes was working more often– it was broke 1 ½ days out of the 3. Nice to be able to fill up your cup and not have to go to one of the bars for just a soft drink. Good job RCI.

Now, I know a quick 3 day on an older, smaller ship cannot be compared to longer ITN’s and bigger newer ships on Carnival. So, I’m not doing an apples to apples comparison – just the experience per say…I would need to go on Oasis or Allure to get the full Royal feel and maybe one we will try them out.

For me it was a pretty good balance of what 1 does the other does also or if 1 does this better the other does that better. EOS for me was a nice, small ship easy to get around and easy to navigate for a weekend away from work. I noticed the same kind of people on Royal that I've seen on Carnival, they did the same late night partying on the deck – same hairy chest contest – same band in the lobby during the day. Same watch and beads sale in the shops. Same opening welcome sing and dance show. I have heard Royal has awesome entertainment on longer cruises and I would love to experience that – the Comedian they had on opening night was HORRIBLE! We didn’t do any other shows the other 2 days. We did have a great time listening to CWind Band in the lobby at night. Pilipino guys that you would never guess were Pilipino if you didn’t see them and only heard them – great cover band of the 70’s and 80’s hits.

I think the food has been better on my Carnival cruises, I wasn’t a big fan of the MDR meals on EOS and I even upgraded to the Steakhouse selections in the main dining room on the last night – on Royal you pay full Chops steakhouse pricing in the MDR – on Carnival its only $20 for the steakhouse selections in the MDR. I will say that Jefferson at table #480 was EXCELLENT – best head waiter I’ve had on any cruise. Tipped him extra on the last night.

For the first time ever I did not tip extra to my cabin attendant. He was fine don’t get me wrong the room was clean and I got fresh towels but I only saw him 1 time on the 1st day never any other time and for the last 2 days the plate and cup I had from room service never got removed from my cabin. Also, I guess you have to ask for ice, it isn’t brought automatically – not a deal breaker just a difference. They had to turn off the water from 1am-5am the 2nd night so they left a note in our cabin saying we could have the Evian water bottles in our mini bar complementary in case we needed water in the middle of the night – I actually used it in port the next day in Nassau…I know I didn’t use it that night and should have left it in my room – shoot me.

All in all it was good weekend cruise and I’m glad I went – I will have to try a bigger RCI ship one of the these days but 2016 might be my first Disney cruise and that will take up all my vaca funds for next year.

Any questions I’ll try and answer – I didn’t take ANY pictures or bring home the Cruise compasses. We did get off the ship in Nassau for a quick shopping hunt and ate lunch at Hard Rock – we did not get off the ship in Coco Cay. The tenders were running but it looked really choppy and windy so we stayed on board and relaxed and read a book. I do wish they would have had more trivia on board. We played 1 logo guessing game and that was about it.

Can you clarify what you mean that you pay full Chops pricing in the MDR? The last time I saw it they charged for the steak, but it wasn't the full price of going to Chops, it was either $15 or $20, can't remember. But if it is full Chops price now...why not just leave MDR and go to Chops? Maybe this is new?

Yes the steak was $16 - I got the Lobster and it was $39 - we didn't go to Chops because the other 2 friends that came with us didn't really want to pay upgrades fees - which is nice to have the ability to upgrade for only 1 person. If not everyone wants to pay extra.

Enjoyed your comparison. I've sailed many times (20+) on Carnival, the last being 03/2014 and there never was the option of steakhouse items being served in the dining room for a $20. fee. What ship did you sail on that offered that & when did you sail?

Enjoyed your comparison. I've sailed many times (20+) on Carnival, the last being 03/2014 and there never was the option of steakhouse items being served in the dining room for a $20. fee. What ship did you sail on that offered that & when did you sail?

Relatively new. Within the past 3 to 6 months I believe.

on our last cruise on the Sunshine Aug 2014...we did it 3 times in the MDR..also nice that you can get Steakhouse options but not necessarily worry about making reservations or feeling like we needed to dress for the steakhouse. Already checked and it is available on the Conquest for our May cruise.

Your experience is very similar to mine. I started off cruising only CCL. I had just made Platinum with them when I tried RCI for the first time on the old Monarch. Folks gave me the same advice then that I'll give to you, try one of Royals big ships. The Freedom and Oasis class ships are really amazing to see. It's where RCI really differentiates itself from CCL. I think you'll really be impressed. We ended up sticking with RCI, and they're now our line of choice because of their excellent past first perks at the higher levels.

Your experience is very similar to mine. I started off cruising only CCL. I had just made Platinum with them when I tried RCI for the first time on the old Monarch. Folks gave me the same advice then that I'll give to you, try one of Royals big ships. The Freedom and Oasis class ships are really amazing to see. It's where RCI really differentiates itself from CCL. I think you'll really be impressed. We ended up sticking with RCI, and they're now our line of choice because of their excellent past first perks at the higher levels.

Thanks for the tip, I'm sure we will try a bigger Royal ship - we love to cruise now that we've got the bug - next year will be Disney for my Niece's graduation party/present, maybe try the Vista late 2016/early 2017 and then a bigger Royal ship...we love the ships not necessarily the ports sometimes just staying on the boat even on port days.