IZUMI..To go?

No, I was not talking specifically of Jade. The other ships have had it just in the middle of the Windjammer at a little station. Sometimes the chef is right there, preparing it fresh.

Yes, they did previously. I seem to remember that it was on occasion, while the Jade Sushi ships have it daily, but these things can vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise.

That said, once a ship, such as Vision adds an Izumi, the sushi in the WJ is usually no more.

I have only been on Vision 5 times in the past 2 years so can not account for every sailing, but in my experience they never offer it any longer in the WJ.

Certainly Japanese sushi chefs in Australia will take advantage of any top quality fresh fish to make sushi and sashimi from, it's irrelevant as to whether it is "authentic" as in found in Japan. Japanese cuisine is not just about the styles of presentation of food, but about using the freshest possible ingredients.

The problem is that real Japanese sushi chefs do not want to go to overseas unless offered a chance to work at Nobu or some 5 star hotel. 80% of sushi chefs in the US are non-Japanese who went to American sushi school. Of 20% ethnic Japanese chefs, the majority are Japanese Americans who wouldn't last a month in a real sushi restaurant counter in Japan. It is rare to find a real Japanese chef who can reproduce authentic Japanese taste in the US, hence my advice of following Japanese people. Nothing will go wrong if you go where Japanese people go for their sushi fix.

This is not the case with ramen restaurants where you do see lots of Japanese ramen chefs here. The reason for this is that 1. Japanese ramen chefs tend to be younger so they are more open to going overseas 2. Japanese economic depression has hit ramen industry harder than sushi industry. So at least for now you can eat any any of ramen joints and have a good chance you will have authentic Japanese ramen. But not sushi, this is too Americanized now and it takes some investigation to find an authentic Japanese taste. Izumi onboard Royal Caribbean ships are no exceptions and this is not what I would pay to eat, I would rather save the money and head to a real sushi joint once I return home.

The problem is that real Japanese sushi chefs do not want to go to overseas unless offered a chance to work at Nobu or some 5 star hotel. 80% of sushi chefs in the US are non-Japanese who went to American sushi school. Of 20% ethnic Japanese chefs, the majority are Japanese Americans who wouldn't last a month in a real sushi restaurant counter in Japan. It is rare to find a real Japanese chef who can reproduce authentic Japanese taste in the US, hence my advice of following Japanese people. Nothing will go wrong if you go where Japanese people go for their sushi fix.

This is not the case with ramen restaurants where you do see lots of Japanese ramen chefs here. The reason for this is that 1. Japanese ramen chefs tend to be younger so they are more open to going overseas 2. Japanese economic depression has hit ramen industry harder than sushi industry. So at least for now you can eat any any of ramen joints and have a good chance you will have authentic Japanese ramen. But not sushi, this is too Americanized now and it takes some investigation to find an authentic Japanese taste. Izumi onboard Royal Caribbean ships are no exceptions and this is not what I would pay to eat, I would rather save the money and head to a real sushi joint once I return home.

You do realize that you're following Japanese-AMERICANS around, right?

I've eaten at Izumi pretty regularly it's consistently very good and as good as a lot of the sushi you'll find on land. Pretty good variety.

Also, yes, they do to go orders. Depending on your room type they'll either box it up for you or make a nice presentation to be delivered to your room, as they did for me when I had friends in my Royal Suite on Oasis last month...

Sushi.jpg

Edited by TrojanUSC

You do realize that you're following Japanese-AMERICANS around, right?

No, Japanese expats, students, etc.

Also, yes, they do to go orders. Depending on your room type they'll either box it up for you or make a nice presentation to be delivered to your room, as they did for me when I had friends in my Royal Suite on Oasis last month...

That's exactly what Japanese would call "American sushi". Mayo and food picks stuck into sushi!

I actually remember watching a Japanese documentary on a Japanese sushi chain's effort to venture overseas; they were struggling against a rival British sushi chain focused on fancy rolls(Looking like what you posted) styled by a British chef, and were wondering why foreigners were preferring that to real authentic Japanese taste.

So I guess not all people like the authentic Japanese taste for their sushi, but a fusion taste is more preferable. After all, the American rolls were invented because Americans wouldn't touch maki rolls wrapped in nori.