Alaska with 15 year old boys

grandmomgwen

We are looking for advice on cruises to Alaska (better from Seattle or Vancouver? We will fly from Philadelphia), for myself (Grandmother), my daughter, and her 15 year old sons. They are all experienced cruisers, all on Carnival. Last cruise, we barely saw them because they are so 'social' and they had a wonderful time. This would be different than cruising to the Bahamas and Caribbean, and we are aware that it would be lots of touring. I've been to Alaska many times, but never on a cruise. I want the boys to experience the beauty of this State, and I want to see them enjoy it. They will absolutely have to have a group of teens to hang out with. Any advice, suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

We are looking for advice on cruises to Alaska (better from Seattle or Vancouver? We will fly from Philadelphia), for myself (Grandmother), my daughter, and her 15 year old sons. They are all experienced cruisers, all on Carnival. Last cruise, we barely saw them because they are so 'social' and they had a wonderful time. This would be different than cruising to the Bahamas and Caribbean, and we are aware that it would be lots of touring. I've been to Alaska many times, but never on a cruise. I want the boys to experience the beauty of this State, and I want to see them enjoy it. They will absolutely have to have a group of teens to hang out with. Any advice, suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

There are usually plenty of teens on Alaska cruises especially when school is out.

Sailing July and August will have the most kids on board, but be well prepared for far lower numbers, compared to the Caribbean. :) Especially if they were pool activity people, I have not seen any of the water "extras", like slides open.

In my opinion, tours are half the trip. So I would suggest, first determining the "must dos" based on the ports. Each is very different and has it's own highlights. Cruises have all different port times, so would help you narrow down your cruise selection when you determine- where you need the time for the port activities you have chosen and how they fit the best.

Overall, Seattle has the least scenic sailing, with the most open ocean. Also the "service" stop of Victoria involved- which on many cruises is a too short port time. Unfortunately, time in 7 days is fixed, so the Alaska port times are usually going to be less too.

Round trip Vancouver cruises are fewer and may be more costly, but overall, have more scenic itineraries and port times. It is simple to get between Seattle and Vancouver with several transit options available.

Involve everyone in the choices, split up the group with shore excursions, there is no point in dragging an uninterested person along, and a shame to miss a tour of priority. :) I always spend a lot of money on tours, which is my priority. Find out what your priority is going to be?

Edited by Budget Queen

As BQ suggested, a little research is necessary for you to determine which ports, port times, and activities will best support your family's interests.

There are books specific to Alaska cruises ... Ann Vipond has "Alaska by cruiseship' and Fodor " Alaska ports of call'. Both books discuss cruiselines, itineraries, ports, activities, etc. Buy or borrow from your library and involve everyone in the research.

There are at least 50 trip reports posted in a STICKY near the top of the page. Many include families . The first line of the report usually includes the cruiseline, itinerary, date and who travelled. There are some great photojournals which will allow you to see the sights and activities, such as this one from a family with 4 teens. The teens seemed to enjoy the club and friends they made. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2078373

Some families did expensive excursions at every port, some splurged on one special activity, and some went DIY to explore each port . Reading thru the reports will provide lots of helpful ideas. Good luck with your plans!

Hmm.... Vancouver has...

• Mink chocolate!
  • 218 flavour Gelato!!!
  • Japadog!
  • Late July/Early August has fireworks!
  • do you like Chinese food?
  • $50 shuttle from Seatac

Edited by xlxo