Need advice for post cruise activities and transportation options!!!

wangy26

Our family of three will take North bound Alaska cruise on Princess Grand sailing through Glacier Bay and College Fjord. The cruise will end in Whittier on Saturday (8/22) in the morning. I am thinking about take the 7:40 PM flight out of Anchorage either on the same day (Sat) or next day (Sun). I need some advice on what activities to do before our flight.

Here is some background info. We took the Alaska cruise 10 years ago and we took the south bound one that time. We flew to Anchorage and stayed there for a few days. We also did Denali NP and took the train from Anchorage to Seward to catch the cruise (Celebrity).

From what I have learned that Prince William Sound cruise tour out of Whittier seems very interesting. Here are my questions:

• Is it still worthwhile to do this small boat tour if we just go through Glacier Bay and College Fjord on the big Princess ship?
  • If we decide to do the small boat tour at Whittier there seems to be some logistic problem. All the small cruise boats start around noon and finish around 5 PM. What should we do between 8 AM (get off the Princess) and noon with all luggage with us? What are the transportation options to get to Anchorage after the tour finishes at 5 PM? I know one way rental from Whittier to Anchorage is very expensive and would like to avoid it if possible. What other things can we do the next day before our 7 PM flights?

I know there are some very knowledgeable people on this board. I would really appreciate it if you can help me with the above questions. Thanks very much for your help!

If you do a Prince William Sound boat tour, you can not leave the same day, unless you get a later flight. Since you have been to Alaska, you didn't do any boat tours your other trip? There are big differences with glacier viewing from a large cruise ship and the small boat tours. But they aren't for everyone. They are very worthwhile for someone who has the interests.

The suggestion would be to not be in any rush getting off the cruise ship. The vendors will store your bags. I used their transfer service to Anchorage.

Frankly, I wouldn't be so focused on not using a car rental due to cost. You have three people and having a one way car could offer you a LOT more sight seeing opportunities compared to using public transportation with a lot of waiting, down time, doing nothing.

You need to verify the pick up hours, in Whittier, they may close early? But if a 24 hour rental is available, enjoying the sight seeing along the Arm is spectacular, easy transport of your luggage, and any hotel selection you want. Next day plenty of options to consider until 5:30pm when you drop off at the airport.

We did a Southbound Princess Cruise 5 years ago and did the PWS tour the day we boarded the ship. We liked it so much we are doing it again with extended family the day we arrive in Whittier on our 2015 Northbound Cruise!

There are 9 of us so we have arranged for Magic Bus to pick us up at the end of the PWS cruise...stop at a few viewing spots on the way to Anchorage and then spending the night in Anchorage. We are then renting cars in Anchorage for the following day and sightseeing in the Anchorage area before our flights leave that evening. We are hoping to go back on Turnigain Arm but haven't completely decided yet.

Hope you have a great trip!:)

your transfer options include AVIS rental car, Alaska Railroad, Park Connection Bus, Seward Buslines, cruiseline transfer, independent transfer.

You'll need to check the web sites for the departure times depending on whether or not you do a glacier tour.

Thank you all very much for your help!

The Avis rental car with drop-off fee is $320 for 1 day rental. It seems very expensive. I don't know if there is other less expensive rental options. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I did find a few reasonable transfer/tour options (such as Anchorage Tour and Transfer) that available for the morning of the cruise disembarkation. But there is no good option (all very expensive) for the evening transfer/tour.

Travel_Maven;

How much does Magic bus charge for the transfer/tour to Anchorage?

I may have to skip the boat tour if I can't find reasonable transportation options.

The Avis rental car with drop-off fee is $320 for 1 day rental. It seems very expensive. I don't know if there is other less expensive rental options. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I did find a few reasonable transfer/tour options (such as Anchorage Tour and Transfer) that available for the morning of the cruise disembarkation. But there is no good option (all very expensive) for the evening transfer/tour.

Travel_Maven;

I may have to skip the boat tour if I can't find reasonable transportation options.

I believe it's around $50pp. I also think they provide bus transportation for one of the PWS tour packages you can purchase. Most of the PWS tours provide luggage handling and transportation back to Anchorage.

I email with Tim from Magic Bus and he has been great! We have a group of 9 so we reserved it separately on this trip so we could have some more flexibility on our shuttle back to Anchorage.

Travel_Maven;

Both Phillips and Major Marine, have transportation available to Anchorage. Call them and inquire what the current costs are.