Taking hard liquor onboard

Hello fellow cruisers,

plan is: take a bottle of vodka on a transatlantic cruise from US to Europe.

My intention is to take the bottle home with me (it's a collectors item, available only for purchase in the US), and not drinking it on the ship.

The crew may keep the bottle away from me during the cruise, as long as I can have it back at the end.

Can this be done? When would be the right time to "tell them"? At the security screening at the terminal? Will they even let the bottle onboard?

Thank you for any and all information :)

Hello fellow cruisers,

plan is: take a bottle of vodka on a transatlantic cruise from US to Europe.

My intention is to take the bottle home with me (it's a collectors item, available only for purchase in the US), and not drinking it on the ship.

The crew may keep the bottle away from me during the cruise, as long as I can have it back at the end.

Can this be done? When would be the right time to "tell them"? At the security screening at the terminal? Will they even let the bottle onboard?

Thank you for any and all information :)

When you board, if you have the bottle in your carry-on, the security screeners will take your bottle and mark it with your cabin number and promise to return it at the end of your cruise.

I strongly advise you to take a picture on your phone of your bottle, "just in case".

If you put your bottle in your checked bag, it will probably be flagged and held down in "the naughty room" and will not be delivered to your cabin. You will have to go down, open up the suitcase, give them the bottle, and drag the suitcase to your cabin yourself.

But YES, they will allow the bottle on board. They will keep it for you and give it back on the final night.

There is also the chance that they won't notice it. A small chance. :)

When you board, if you have the bottle in your carry-on, the security screeners will take your bottle and mark it with your cabin number and promise to return it at the end of your cruise.

I strongly advise you to take a picture on your phone of your bottle, "just in case".

If you put your bottle in your checked bag, it will probably be flagged and held down in "the naughty room" and will not be delivered to your cabin. You will have to go down, open up the suitcase, give them the bottle, and drag the suitcase to your cabin yourself.

But YES, they will allow the bottle on board. They will keep it for you and give it back on the final night.

There is also the chance that they won't notice it. A small chance. :)

The only potential problem with carry-on is that they may hold it at the port and not transfer it to the ship. Since it's a TA, you'd never see the bottle again if that happens. I'd go the checked luggage/naughty room route. Just make sure it is well protected in your luggage.