Why I choose FTTF

TheTexans

I have seen varying opinions as to if FTTF should even exist. Some people like the shorter lines at embarkation, guest services, tendering, etc...That's not why I choose it.

My travel companion is my five year old. She's the best "second" that anybody could ask for (as in the second person in a double occupancy situation.). However, she has asthma so she needs medications and a nebulizer.

Well, now to the problem... me. I have a lot of stuff going on. I have congestive heart failure (pills), type 2 diabetes (pills and injections), asthma (share nebulizer), and a pharmacy of vitamins. And, for giggles... I have sleep apnea. Everything is well controlled and we have always sailed with at least her grandparents. Yep, we're that kind of family.

So, I'm the "sickest" 38 year old well-woman you'll meet. (And, I've got baggage.) I love reading reviews where you were able to to an 18 day Trans-Atlantic with only a carryon.

I can put all of my medical necessities in my carryon. However, in 6 cruises, I've learned to keep my CPAP machine in a separate bag- not in the carryon. So if we're counting, I'm up to one carryon for medical supplies and a CPAP bag and I haven't packed any clothing. With my medical "ailments" you can guess that I'm not thin. I only need one more suitcase for clothes (cuz big girl clothes roll up, but not as small as skinny girls) but that didn't get any of the five year old's necessities (crayons, coloring books, baby doll, teddy, Barbie's, and sand toys) onboard.

So, roughly we have 2 checked suitcases, one medical supplies carryon, one CPAP bag, and two backpacks of "entertainment."

Guess which momma isn't keeping up with all this junk? That's right. Me! The lady who dumps her stuff in the room immediately and can nap, roam the ship, eat lunch on Lido, and dance with my second because I am on vacation!

So there you have it. Everybody gets FTTF for different reasons. To each their own. Happy cruising!

You don't have to justify why you get it. We all love it for different reasons. The haters just always need to chime in on how it's a waste of money, not worth it, etc. It's none of anyone's business why those of us that are fans of it feel that way.

Keep calm and FTTF on!!

We get the FTTF for two reasons.... first on and first off!

We love to be one of the first ones on the boat (dropping off bags in the room, and going upstairs to eat lunch), and there's nothing better than being through customs and in the car driving home by 9:30am on debarkation day :)

firemanbobswife is right.

It's your $50 and you can spend it as you see fit.

I have it for our cruise in 44 days, may not need it, but there were two left when I booked and $50 won't break my budget, so I got one.

hopefully it will lessen the wait and lines for my little ones.

I think everyone who does FTTF has their own reasons, and for me last November it was a 50.00 well spent. Worked for me. I think on my upcoming cruise in October this year, I will be in better physical condition, therefore able to stand in line, or stand in one place longer than before, so I might not do it next time. Still I am thankful that I was able to use it in November, and am glad that it is an option, even if it does cost. JMO.:)

So, I decided to put my story 'out there' because I kept seeing threads where folks kept asking why. Most of the responses were for skipping long lines and people were being catty. So, I just decided to keep it real and let folks know that some of us need it.

I still dont understand why some diamond and platinum cruisers get upset by FTTF. They still get to board before FTTF. And it is not like there are an unlimited number of FTTF,s available. Oh well, I am still grateful for the option.

I still dont understand why some diamond and platinum cruisers get upset by FTTF. They still get to board before FTTF. And it is not like there are an unlimited number of FTTF,s available. Oh well, I am still grateful for the option.

I am platinum and FTTF does not bother me. Carnival offers it, so why shouldn't people take advantage of it. I have a bit of a funny....we cruised on the Fascination less than two weeks ago. When I gave my bag plus tip to the porter I pointed out to him that I had a Priority tag so that the bag could go to the appropriate place. Before I could finish he said "oh, you are Faster to the Fun I will put your sticker on right now". As a side note, I think he was pretty tickeled with the tip...anyway, I just went with it. It was the quickest I EVER received my luggage, lol. Now, I REALLY understand why people love FTTF!

Edited by FlorenceItaly

Thanks for sharing your reasons! I have been on one cruise and did not have FTTF. We have two more booked in the coming months, our next one I do not have FTTF. I found it available a few times but a couple of things stopped me from getting it. 1. We are going with friends and they didn't want to spend the money so we felt it would be rude to board before them while they just wait. 2. No tender ports on this cruise. However, on our June cruise I did snag a FTTF. We are going just the two of us so I am happy to embark quickly and Belize is a tender port. So I am really curious to see whether or not I think FTTF is worth it after doing the next two cruises without and with. Debarkation is also something I am interested in, it took quite a while last time so if FTTF makes that go more quickly then that will be another plus for me.

FTTF to me is just like stateroom selection. I am more than content with an interior cabin pretty much anywhere on the ship and I see spending extra $ on an aft extended balcony a waste.

So some people view FTTF as much of a waste as I see an expensive cabin upgrade. To each it's about what perks mean the most to them.

The reason being, some (not all) of these people think they should be "special snow flakes".

I always have to laugh when reading John Healds FB page when a person complaining about something ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS starts off with the infamous "I'm a Platinum...blah blah blah".

Honestly...I see this kind of behavior coming from the so called "Platinum" people, not so much the "Diamond" level.

On a Dream class ship I think they release a maximum of somewhere in the vicinity of 100 FTTF slots maybe a little more...so 4,000 people...and roughly 100...or lets just increase that to 200 FTTF impacts exactly no one.

Personally...I like to have it so I can drop my bags off in the room. Most of the itineraries I choose are docked ports, no need for tenders.

I like it for a few reasons: My husband and son are both impatient and drive me crazy when we wait in long lines and I like to send them off to the pool while unpack and relax after all the pre-cruise craziness. If our room wasnt ready early I (not the guys) would be responsible for lugging around and watching the carry on bags. So for me it's $50 well spent.

I always felt it's your money, spend it how you see fit. Anytime FTTF was available I would get it before I became platinum. The one time I couldn't get it, it was missed, I can tell you that. ;).

I don't begrudge anyone wanting to pay for those perks.

There are a lot of other expenditures I see on board i shake my head at.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

OP it's nice to share your thoughts, but I hope you don't think you have to justify why you chose to spend your money for FTTF or anything else regarding your cruise vacation.

FTTF is an optional purchase that's not going anywhere. End of.

It wasn't a justification, per SE. It was more along the lines of... CC members keep asking why anyone would "waste $50... and so I thought I would put my reason out there. So now that everybody knows, the critics should feel free to move about the Lido deck passing judgement while my family and I dance, sing, and laugh our way through our vacation.

Spend your $50 any way you want it! I don't see any threads on here justifying why someone spent $ to eat at the steakhouse when there's so much other food available.... "Oh, but that's different!" I know, I know.

I hope it's available for every sailing you go on.

Edited by Jenhem31

I think some people feel the need to justify purchasing FTTF because some of the Platinum people have the attitude "They shouldn't be able to buy the perks we worked so hard for." Really? Cruising is work? Although we are now Platinum, we did buy FTTF for cruises before we turned platinum. On an one cruise from San Juan, Platinum, Diamond, and FTTF were all in one line in the area outside the terminal building. The lady in front of us was busy telling everyone' "I am platinum." We talked to the couple behind us who had 38 cruises and 5 more booked. While standing outside, we asked about their Alaska cruise because that is one we would like to take. Once we entered the building, the Platinum/Diamond went to one line and FTTF a to another. As there were more Priority than FTTF people, no one was in front of us so we got checked in quickly and were told since boarding had started we could go on the ship. As we walked past, the platinum lady was still in line and started screaming, "We were ahead of them and we are Platinum. They can't get on the ship before us." I was so shocked that I stopped and just stood there looking at her. The Diamond lady said, "You go right ahead dearie. Twenty minutes isn't going to make one bit of difference." The port lady said go and as we were leaving I could hear the port lady trying to calm her down as she continued to yell. Funny thing was all 3 couples had cabins in the same lido hallway and she refused to speak or even look at us the rest of the cruise. Although we did not do anything wrong, she made me feel guilty for buying FTTF. As a now platinum cruiser, I say if FTTF is available and you want it, get it and don't let anyone make you feel bad for getting it. You don't have to justify why you bought it.

Edited by kteachcruiser52