What to do in Denali in an afternoon

SBJB8184

We are doing the 11-day HAL cruisetour which starts in Fairbanks. We take coach from Fairbanks to Denali Princess Chalet, arriving at 1:00 p.m. The HAL agent told us that we arrive too late to do the Tundra Wilderness Tour that day (which departs at 1:30 p.m.). We are in Denali less than 24 hours, so doing it the next day is also not an option. Are there any excursions to see the wildlife of Denali, other than ATVs, Helicopters, Airplanes? Any suggestions please. Thanks in advance.

A HAL cruisetour is staying at the Denali Princess?

Depending on the date, you might have time for the Toklat shuttle. During peak season there are departures at 3pm and 5pm ?? Plug your dates into the web site to see what times are available. The Toklat shuttle goes to the same destination as the Tundra Wilderness Tour but costs less than $30. This will get you into the start of prime bear-viewing so definitely worth the effort on your part. The catch will be getting there from your hotel which I believe has service on the hour. Perhaps let them send your luggage to your room , while you hop on the first bus to the park entrance??? grab lunch at the park.

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/toklat.aspx

For other things to do, read the Park Newsletter for info on small hikes in the entrance area, free sled dog demo ( 10, 2, 4pm), free bus to Savage River trail at Mile 15, ranger activities, films, visitor center.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/upload/Alpenglow2014_int.pdf

For after hours shuttle, ask the hotel if they're running a late night trip. Otherwise, the Denali Salmon Bake shuttle might work ... google it. Or if you're able, the hotel is about a 30-40 minute walk. Or there's a taxi service if you google Denali Chamber of Commerce.

Edited by mapleleaves

Did you verify for yourself the Eielson shuttle bus schedule, as well as the Tundra Wilderness schedules? http://www.reservedenali.com

Otherwise, Toklat is a good option. Again, check what the availability is. It doesn't sound like you know exactly what you were booking with this cruise tour selection? But, at this point, are you willing to go off on your own? You will have to get to the Wilderness Access Center for any shuttle buses. Your lodge should have lodge shuttles that go to the Wilderness Access Center an Visitor Center.

Coming back to your lodge will be after most shuttles are over, so if you don't want to walk, then you'll need additional plans. This all depends on you. This is your only option, if wildlife is your priority= getting into the park.

The McKinley Chalet also has a shuttle to/from the park; you'll need to call HAL and ask about the shuttle schedule, including availability of an after-hours ride.

was their a later Toklat shuttle on your date? If so, we can help you with further planning.

Thanks for the help so far. I apologize, but maybe I was a little vague in my recent posts.

We are on the HAL cruisetour (11-day Denali) that departs Fairbanks on Friday, June 5, via coach to Denali (McKinley Chalet) arriving at 1:00 p.m. When I talked to the HAL rep regarding HAL excursions, she stated that the TWT was not an option for this specific cruisetour because of the short time in Denali (we leave on Saturday, June 6 at 9:45 a.m. so we are there less than 24 hours). She stated that the TWT is offered (thru HAL) on other cruisetours that stay longer in Denali (meaning that if we were there for 2 days, we could do the TWT on day 2). She also said that because we arrive at 1:00 p.m., the 1:30 TWT tour was cutting things too close, and therefore HAL did not offer it for our specific cruise).

When I look at the HAL-sponsored excursions, neither the TWT, nor Toklat, nor Eielson are offered.

We are not opposed to going off on our own, so when I look at the Denali park shuttles, the Toklat shuttle is offered from 5-11 p.m., and the Eielson Shuttle is offered from 2-11 p.m.

Again, we are more interested in seeing the wildlife in the park, rather than ATVs, Helicopters, Airplanes, etc. that are all that is offered on the HAL excursions. So therefore, the Toklat or Eielson appear to be 2 options to consider.

So now you point out the concern might be the return to the KcKinley Chalet at 11:00 p.m?

Hope this helps frame the situation better. What do you think my options are?

Thanks for the help so far. I apologize, but maybe I was a little vague in my recent posts.

We are on the HAL cruisetour (11-day Denali) that departs Fairbanks on Friday, June 5, via coach to Denali (McKinley Chalet) arriving at 1:00 p.m. When I talked to the HAL rep regarding HAL excursions, she stated that the TWT was not an option for this specific cruisetour because of the short time in Denali (we leave on Saturday, June 6 at 9:45 a.m. so we are there less than 24 hours). She stated that the TWT is offered (thru HAL) on other cruisetours that stay longer in Denali (meaning that if we were there for 2 days, we could do the TWT on day 2). She also said that because we arrive at 1:00 p.m., the 1:30 TWT tour was cutting things too close, and therefore HAL did not offer it for our specific cruise).

When I look at the HAL-sponsored excursions, neither the TWT, nor Toklat, nor Eielson are offered.

We are not opposed to going off on our own, so when I look at the Denali park shuttles, the Toklat shuttle is offered from 5-11 p.m., and the Eielson Shuttle is offered from 2-11 p.m.

Again, we are more interested in seeing the wildlife in the park, rather than ATVs, Helicopters, Airplanes, etc. that are all that is offered on the HAL excursions. So therefore, the Toklat or Eielson appear to be 2 options to consider.

So now you point out the concern might be the return to the KcKinley Chalet at 11:00 p.m?

Hope this helps frame the situation better. What do you think my options are?

I would first suggest, if at all possible, even if an up charge, change your cruisetour. HAL does a great job with 2 nights at Denali.

Otherwise, I would only suggest the Toklat shuttle (NONE of the cruiselines are going to offer any shuttle bus options, you have to go independent). With your early afternoon arrival- you will need to get your food and drink and get yourself to the Wilderness Access Center- which your lodge should have a shuttle for. Take your HAL paperwork with you, you should be able to get a refund of the park fee that is charged with your shuttle bus ticket- which has to be purchased in advance.

You need to see, if the lodge has any late shuttles, by calling them direct when they open in May. Princess which is nearby, may also be an option for a fee. There is a taxi service, that needs advance booking, or it's a long walk, over a mile. Alternative, you could try and hitch a ride?

Finally with this choice to do the Toklat Shuttle, HAL does not refund the NHT, which you are paying for at a $60 value pp.

I previously mentioned late night options for a ride back to the hotel:

- the Denali Salmon Bake Shuttle shows an 11:45pm departure . Verify that this is for 2015. http://www.denaliparksalmonbake.com/shuttle_schedule.html

- it's about a 30-40 minute walk

- an expensive taxi http://www.denalitaxishuttle.com (Join your roll call; perhaps you'll find another couple who haven't yet realized they won't get into the park on this cruisetour unless they book independently. They can share the taxi cost. Ask on the Princess roll call as well since their lodge is close to yours.)

- while on the shuttle ask your fellow passengers for a ride. Your hotel is less than 2 miles away so it wouldn't be a hardship for anyone to drop you off.

I previously mentioned late night options for a ride back to the hotel:

- the Denali Salmon Bake Shuttle shows an 11:45pm departure . Verify that this is for 2015. http://www.denaliparksalmonbake.com/shuttle_schedule.html

- it's about a 30-40 minute walk

- an expensive taxi http://www.denalitaxishuttle.com (Join your roll call; perhaps you'll find another couple who haven't yet realized they won't get into the park on this cruisetour unless they book independently. They can share the taxi cost. Ask on the Princess roll call as well since their lodge is close to yours.)

- while on the shuttle ask your fellow passengers for a ride. Your hotel is less than 2 miles away so it wouldn't be a hardship for anyone to drop you off.

I stayed at the Salmon Bake last year, I think there is small print involved, and they do not go to the WAC after 9pm, instead the stop is at the MSC.

I stayed at the Salmon Bake last year, I think there is small print involved, and they do not go to the WAC after 9pm, instead the stop is at the MSC.

The OP was asking about options. It's on them to research each option provided, as things can change from year to year.

(the Murie is less than 1/2 mile from the WAC so the salmon bake shuttle is definitely a possibility unless they have physical limitations. )

We are doing the 11-day HAL cruisetour which starts in Fairbanks. We take coach from Fairbanks to Denali Princess Chalet, arriving at 1:00 p.m. The HAL agent told us that we arrive too late to do the Tundra Wilderness Tour that day (which departs at 1:30 p.m.). We are in Denali less than 24 hours, so doing it the next day is also not an option. Are there any excursions to see the wildlife of Denali, other than ATVs, Helicopters, Airplanes? Any suggestions please. Thanks in advance.

The rangers in the park always have a talk and demonstration that is free with their sled dogs and the dogs demonstrate how they take the sled around. they also talk about the care and feeding of the dogs etc. I found it to be very interesting.

Afterward, you can always go to the little strip of shops across from the park. They are some typical tourist type shops but they have some cute things, there is a pizza place, a subway sandwich shop, ice cream shop

etc. that will kill a little time