Stateroom location on Oosterdam

dan33

Just a little concerned with the vibrations as I am a light sleeper...

The aft cabins should be on deck 4 or higher - the higher up the fewer vibrations. Having said that, we have been in deck 4 and 5 aft and never felt anything.

More likely you will get more cabin movement in rough seas, but this is also true in the forward cabins.

The aft cabins should be on deck 4 or higher - the higher up the fewer vibrations. Having said that, we have been in deck 4 and 5 aft and never felt anything.
... and we were in Noordam 4178 and had heavy vibrations, so ...

... and we were in Noordam 4178 and had heavy vibrations, so ...

I wonder if it varies by ship? We were on the Zuiderdam and Westerdam and felt nothing of significance. On the other had, we had a mid-ship cabin on deck 7 on the Statendam and the vibration was constant and quite annoying (they told us it was due to running an engine that they only use in rough weather, but even after the seas calmed we still felt it.

Strange.......

DaveOKC

I guess we are contrarians because DW and I do not like aft cabins. In fact, we try to always avoid cabins in the aft quarter of any ship. The reason? We want to be far from the props which can cause annoying vibrations (and even noise) on many ships at certain speeds. On most ships the only mechanical noise you will hear near the bow are the bow thrusters which are only used when entering or leaving a port. We actually like those thrusters because they work like an alarm clock to wake us as we dock.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the responses. Decided to book an aft cabin about the 10th from the front. Should be good.:)

Hey Danielle,

We also booked an aft cabin... 8147 (but for the June 28 cruise). You know what they say about great minds.

Alan

Just a little concerned with the vibrations as I am a light sleeper...

We did an aft cabin on the Noordam several years ago. Vibration was not an issue. In fact, we experienced more on a side balcony in the last third of the ship than an aft cabin. We found the sound of the ship's wake quite soothing as a bonus.