Diamond lounge -red faced or steamed?

Let's be clear, I know the rules and generally abide by them. I also understand all the ins and outs of customer service. I just came back from my first cruise as a Diamond member. I was crusing with DD(32 and first time RCI cruiser) instead of DH ( also Diamond member). DD also had the drink package.

I was really anxious to make my first grand entrance :rolleyes: into the Diamond lounge. Originally, we were just going to walk in, look around and leave. It was almost 8:30 when we walked in and there was only one couple there, leaving with their drink. The concierge said, "oh you just made it, the bar closes at 8:30". I really thought, well, great, it's empty, we'll get a beer, enjoy the empty lounge for a minute and leave. The bartender, first wouldn't get us a beer "bar is closed" then begrudgingly obliged, saying from now on we should arrive on time. We sat down and she immediately came over asking for our sea pass cards to verify Diamond status. She then said DD was not to come back. Embarrassing? Yes. Was she right? Yes. Was she rude? Yes!

As I said, I know the rule. I was in the wrong. However, her handling of the situation was way off base. I never went back. Frankly, I don't think I've ever had such rude treatment from any RCI employee, ever.

What do you think? Was I right to be a little steamed or should I scream "mea culpa" from the highest rooftop? :o:mad::(

You are wrong to be steamed. They always ask to see your card the first night to keep people out who haven't earned D status yet, which obviously your DD hasn't. DD having the drink package has nothing to do with your story. The embarassment you felt was from your own choice. It's standard procedure and you did bring someone in who wasn't a D so the concierge was completely right and just doing her job.

Edited by BND

Nothing in your description of events sounds rude to me so I presume it was the way the bartender told you DD should not come back is what you perceived as rude. So you knew the rules and knew you were breaking the rules, personally if it were me I'd feel embarrassed, not steamed. The bartender was just doing her job.

By any chance was it the independence? We had a very similar bad experience there. My mother is very unstable when she walks and I need to be next to her at all times. She contacted RcCl who gave her approval for me (at the time I was not yet diamond, now I am) to accompany her to the diamond lounge. We had it in writing. The diamond concierge was very rude about it and didn't want to accept the approval but finally begrudgingly did

You'd think we were trying to enter the White House residence.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

None of us was there so we don't know the tone of the concierge. While the concierge is technically correct there is always a polite way to handle something and a rough way to handle something. It sounds like the concierge was a bit more abrupt than was necessary in this situation. but do keep in mind that they must deal with this every week and try not to take it so personally

None of us was there so we don't know the tone of the concierge. While the concierge is technically correct there is always a polite way to handle something and a rough way to handle something. It sounds like the concierge was a bit more abrupt than was necessary in this situation. but do keep in mind that they must deal with this every week and try not to take it so personally

Nowhere did the OP say anything about the way it was said, just what was said. You're right that they deal with this all the time. I love the people who post about what the big deal is. Well, the big deal is if you're not going to monitor who is there you might as well just open the doors and say everyone come in. Some just miss the point entirely and turn it into a personal affront, when in reality it's the rules and there is a reason for it. Just because some don't like the rules doesn't make them not exist.

The first time I was on Oasis in 2011 I traveled with a friend who was not Diamond. We frequented the Rising tide bar and the bartender saw my card and asked why we weren't coming to the DL, as he worked there each evening. I explained that my friend wasn't Diamond and he said no worries, come on up the next evening. The next night I went in first to make sure he was there and we had one drink. I was worried a scenario you explained might occur.

While I understand their rules, I certainly think they could have been nicer about the situation. Now that there are so many repeat passengers acquiring diamond status I guess they are more strict. Sorry you had to experience it.

Well said. She was rude, it's how you say something, not so much what you say. I didn't take it personally, I just felt her tone and manner were really off base.

I would like to know which ship it was. We have encountered a few "POMPOUS" Concierges who suck up to the Pinnacles and turn their noses up to others. But we have never seen that in the Diamond Lounge. Mostly they are always friendly and VERY polite.

You are wrong to be steamed. They always ask to see your card the first night to keep people out who haven't earned D status yet, which obviously your DD hasn't. DD having the drink package has nothing to do with your story. The embarassment you felt was from your own choice. It's standard procedure and you did bring someone in who wasn't a D so the concierge was completely right and just doing her job.

BND;

I think YOU are wrong to be telling others how they should feel about rude treatment.

When you sit at the bar in the lounge, and the bartender is STILL THERE, then he should greet you with a smile and get you what you asked for - The OP said, "It was almost 8:30 when we walked in and there was only one couple there, leaving with their drink". SO WHAT if you may be a couple of minutes after 8:30 there's no reason for the Server to act like they are above you.

I would like to know which ship it was. We have encountered a few "POMPOUS" Concierges who suck up to the Pinnacles and turn their noses up to others. But we have never seen that in the Diamond Lounge. Mostly they are always friendly and VERY polite.

BND;

I think YOU are wrong to be telling others how they should feel about rude treatment.

When you sit at the bar in the lounge, and the bartender is STILL THERE, then he should greet you with a smile and get you what you asked for - The OP said, "It was almost 8:30 when we walked in and there was only one couple there, leaving with their drink". SO WHAT if you may be a couple of minutes after 8:30 there's no reason for the Server to act like they are above you.

Ooh, someone has a chip on their shoulder. The server was doing their job. You ever think they can get into trouble for letting someone stay who is not supposed to be there? Also, didn't the OP ask for our opinions? Read the title of the thread.

Edited by BND

Just fill out the survey you will get email. Be honest and let RCCL handle it.

Maybe bar tender will get a slap on the hand or maybe nothing. But it will make you feel better. We on C C can't do anything about the situation

BND;

We were on the Enchantment.

Exactly, and thank you. :)

Well said. She was rude, it's how you say something, not so much what you say. I didn't take it personally, I just felt her tone and manner were really off base.

I totally understand that. Tone, demeanor, body language can really leave a sour taste, or make a great impression. If you feel steamed about it, you feel steamed about it. No one here can tell you that you are wrong to feel that way. You seem to understand the rules just fine. Quietly reminding you of the rules would have gotten the same result as being abrupt / off-putting about it.

I had a concierge handle me a bit "rough" once. She spent the rest of the week trying to be nice to me, but I was already a bit put off by her attitude and didn't need her services for anything. She must have felt she was in the wrong because her attempts to be nice were over the top sugary nice after that. This is the first I have ever mentioned it because I know I'd be clobbered here on CC.

I totally understand that. Tone, demeanor, body language can really leave a sour taste, or make a great impression. If you feel steamed about it, you feel steamed about it. No one here can tell you that you are wrong to feel that way. You seem to understand the rules just fine. Quietly reminding you of the rules would have gotten the same result as being abrupt / off-putting about it.

I had a concierge handle me a bit "rough" once. She spent the rest of the week trying to be nice to me, but I was already a bit put off by her attitude and didn't need her services for anything. She must have felt she was in the wrong because her attempts to be nice were over the top sugary nice after that. This is the first I have ever mentioned it because I know I'd be clobbered here on CC.

The thing is, the perception of being treated rudely is an emotion and what the OP perceived as rude you are I might not have perceived the same way. Maybe the bartender was rude but let's not forget the OP admitted knowing she was breaking the rules. It is conceivable that her perception of being treated rudely was influenced by her emotions over being caught for breaking the rules.

As to the being clobbered... LOL ... Ah, yep!:)

Let's be clear, I know the rules and generally abide by them. I was crusing with DD(32 and first time RCI cruiser)

What do you think? ::(

Why would you put your DD through this if you know the rules, its on you and you alone:rolleyes:

Embarrassed for trying to break the rules.

Yeah, Was leaning towards embarrassed.:o

(BUT, she didn't have to be so "holier than thou" about it!:)).

I really thought the scenario would be.. "Well, the lounge is empty. Go ahead and enjoy tonight, but please refrain from doing it again". We all know what happens when you assume...:rolleyes:

......What do you think? Was I right to be a little steamed or should I scream "mea culpa" from the highest rooftop? :o:mad::(

If you want an honest opinion. No Need to scream "mea culpa" from the highest rooftop, but you had absolutely no reason to be steamed either.

You said it yourself, you were in the wrong and she was in the right.