Question about Reflection Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Depart May 18, 2015

piggypiggy

Hi everyone,

I've got a few questions about my upcoming cruise trip.

For your reference, I would be cruising with about 24 others and their age would range between 2-60 years old (this is our family trip and I am 26). Most have cruised a few times. For me this is my first time on celebrity. I've been on the oasis and navigator of the seas.

1.I am wondering if I should book a private tour or use celebrity excursions for each port and if private what company would you recommend. I found some information from fellow cruisers, but is over-whelmed with the results. I'm not sure if we will have enough time to do 8-9 hour tours for the ports. Also, if we are tendering would it be a good idea to choose private tours. Lastly, what attractions should we definitely not miss?

2. Should I be carrying Euros or USD for this trip?

3. Are there postal service on board that I can mail post cards out, or should I mail them out when I am at the ports?

4. How many and when are the formal nights? Do I really need to dress very formal (evening gowns) for formal dinner?

5. I'm interested in purchasing a Dior bag for myself during this trip. Which port would be the cheapest/tax free if any?

6. Any suggestions or tips I could get for this itinerary, ship or traveling with such a big group.

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

First, you need to get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports and read up on what there is to do in the time you will have available, and how to DIY.

The ship will mail postcards for you, but they may keep them and mail at the last port. I turned in one a day and all arrived with the same postmark. A looong time later.

USD are fine on the ship, but you will need Euros in Italy and Greece. They might take your dollars in Turkey.

Are you all joined at the hip for excursions, or do you plan to go off on your own? You definitely need an excursion for Kusadasi, but it will be really hot there...Not sure about the 2 y/o tolerating all that time looking at old rocks. Easy to do Santorini on your own. Getting up on the funicular should not be a problem as the other four ships get there early, and they will be coming down as you are going up.

Everyone should visit Pompeii from Naples. Celebrity usually offers a tour, or a shuttle only and do your own tour. Rick Steves has free downloadable audio tours for Pompeii and several sites in Rome for ipod/mp3, and you can print out schematic maps to go along.

Mykonos is the quintessential Greek island, great place for just wandering through town, buying some souvenirs, and sitting down for a refreshing drink. You will be tendering in Mykonos, but that's an advantage because the tender will let you off right in town, without having a long walk or shuttle to town.

Not sure about buying Dior bag. If you buy in an EU country, there is a VAT (value added tax) that bumps up the price and you can claim a refund at the airport before you fly home.

There will be two formal nights, May 19 & 27 (sea days). A cocktail dress will be fine, or whatever you dress up in for church or a wedding.

EM

Edited by Essiesmom