Infinity Concierge Room vs Balcony Room

sfilbert

is the title of the stateroom. At no more than $100 PP over a 2 category cabin, I'd grab it if you can get AFT CC. AFT is rear of the ship only 12 cabins (4 per deck 7-9) 200 sq ft balcony with 197 sq ft stateroom. Celebrity's web site has the whole list of extras that you get.

The regular side room have the 40 sq ft balconies, which I really hated. Hard to sit 2 folks at a dressed table that matches the dining room table for breakfast, lunch & dinner with a small balcony. I believe there are double sized ones also, but I book AFT CC 14 months out front.

If they are going at $500+ per couple, I'd say no & go for 2C category staterooms 6016-6035 (the first 8 on each side of the ship) for double sized balconies at a bargain price.

I first sailed on the Constellation in a CC class cabin (Deck 9) and then a balcony cabin on the Infinity (Deck 8) -- both last year. In my opinion, a balcony cabin was just fine. They both were the same size (cabins on Deck 6 and 7 are smaller) and I didn't think the extra money for the CC was worth it. I didn't care for the canapes brought around every night and having nicer towels and binoculars just didn't seem worth it to me.

I've decided to settle upon a balcony cabin unless I get upgraded for free. Oh, they also provide nicer deck furniture in CC, but I didn't think it made a difference either.

I agree...if you can get the CC AFT it's a definate GO FOR IT! If not, it's worth it if you don't have to pay much extra. Last May we had a CC on the Summit. We had booked a balcony and they put a SR rate on the sailing. We ended up upgrading to a CC at a lower rate! Now that's worth it in my opinion!

By the way, I too didn't think much of the afternoon canapes so I asked for a plate of fruit and cheese - a much better choice in my opinion!

Sharon

In fact most CC cabins are 191 sq ft with 41 sq ft balcony. There are 12 stern CC cabins with @ 200 sq ft balconies on decks 7,8 and 9. There are 4 on deck 6, 2 on deck 8 and 2 on deck 9 with larger than normal balconies.

Catagory 2 cabins are mostly 172 sq ft with 38 sq ft balcony. There are many Category 2 cabins that have larger balconies located on decks 6,7,8 and 9.

So, at least you get @ 19 sq ft more space in a CC cabin. Plus, you get the CC perks that are listed on Celebrity website under CC cabin.

I paid $50 pp more for CC versus Cat 2 for Dec 4, 05 Panama Canal 14 day cruise on Summit using Interline rates. Be aware though, this put the insurance into next higher bracket, which increased insurance cost by $30 pp. Thus, it cost $30 pp to insure $50 more for cost of cruise. That is absurd. So, effectively, it cost me $80 pp to buy CC vs Cat B. Also, suggested tip for cabin attendent for CC cabin is $4.00 pp per day vs Cat 2 cabin of $3.50 pp per day. That makes it $87 pp or $174 for two.

This works out to $6.21 per day pp. $12.42 total for 2 per day for CC vs Cat 2 for my cruise.

I find that is acceptable for the larger cabin and CC perks. If not for the insurance increase it would be a much better deal.

We had cabin CC 9112 on The Constellation and the the balcony was smaller than the other CC cabins. The room was not the 192 sq ft ones. I think that it had been a 1B cabin and not one of the 1As. I think that these were added later to the CC. The room was quiet and the overhang was not an issue. We were upgraded to it. The service is nice, and I agree about the afternoon snacks. If it is a matter of a $100 or so per person on a long cruise, it might be worth it. We are doing a TA in 2006 and the $700 extra was not worth it so we will just get a balcony. We are doing a Panama cruise for 12 days and the $100 extra was worth it.

We have been on CC rooms on the Infinity and on both CC room and balcony on the Constellation.

Celebrity has basically been converting almost all balcony cabins on deck 8 and 9 to Concierge Class. There are a few exceptions, but as a rule balcony rooms are about 20 square feet smaller than the Concierge cabins.

My wife and I like the perks which include upgrades in bathrobes, towels, extra fruit in the room, umbrellas, pillows, etc. Our favorite perk is the full room service menu. You can basically order any food on the ship to be sent to your room. For instance we love breakfast on the verandah in nice weather. As an example, in CC rooms you can order an omelette with fresh orange juice. This is not available in a standard room. Additionally, the maitre d' on the Infinity told me that Celebrity will be upgrading the room service choices in CC rooms this fall.

I will also offer a dissenting opinion on room location. While the cabins and balconies are larger in the aft cabins, these cabins are also subject to much more motion during rough weather. Depending where you cruise, this can be an issue. When we were up in Alaska, we did hit a stretch of 20 foot seas. Our cabin was amidships and we were fine, but some folks in the aft cabins were complaining.

Another location issue is which deck to choose. I would avoid deck 9 because of two issues; people moving deck chairs early in the morning, and the pool deck parties in the late evening on some cruises.

makes for a very poor stateroom. We were in 9140 & to eat on the balcony with the dressed table with the china, flower pot, salt & peper, creamer, butter bplate, etc like the dining room and we are seated on the 2 opposite sides from each other with the poor waiter being attacked by the door as he leans in to serve us. Then the wave that crashed giving ultra salty food up on 9!

Then we got 9102 and that was heaven with a HUGE blacony for 2 rocking chairs, 2 loungers & a large table with 4 chairs & still plenty of room for friends to join us. The stateroom was much larger than the first 9140 staeroom we had. Again we have it for Transcanal on Summit this time & we are ready for a great up front view of the locks,etc. And no chair hogs with our loungers....

So I prefer the AFT CC for space, as far as motion we love to be rocked to sleep with the door open to listen to waves all night. We even bought a Sony clock radio that has waves, wind, rain, and other calming sounds in it that we set for 30 minutes to fall asleep to & boy, do we seep better since we bought it at Amazon.

Just realize that everyone can not book cruises far enough ahead to get the "stern" cabins. And many times the price nearer sailing date is much better than it was earlier, therefore a much better bargain, even in a Cat 2 or regular CC cabin. It may not be "a very poor stateroom" to someone in these circumstances. It may just be a very good deal.

Please, let everyone enjoy the staterooms they are in without opiniated descriptions.

Happy sailing to all.

Here, here, John! Well said, indeed.

I have long had it up-to-here with a certain person's bragging in every one of their postings of these aft cabin balconies and their huge size .... pompous and delusional to think anyone gives a flying monkey about what she prefers in cabins.

Here, here, John! Well said, indeed.

I have long had it up-to-here with a certain person's bragging in every one of their postings of these aft cabin balconies and their huge size .... pompous and delusional to think anyone gives a flying monkey about what she prefers in cabins.

It would be absurd to say that they suck!

To be fair, the perceived difference in value from an M-Class 2A to CC may well balance on the difference between a CC and an aft CC, especially on a longer itinerary.

Like Macop, we find that the difference in price from 2B to the regular CC cabin not worth it in some cases. Understand that the differential in price can be anything from negligible to quite substantial depending upon when the ticket is purchased and the itinerary. Where the price increase to CC is significant, we'll switch dates if necessary in order to gain the additional value of the aft as compensation for the large difference in price.

Whether anyone cares about my (or anyone elses') thoughts on the matter would seem to be the point of some of the threads that deal with this specific topic, wouldn't it? It would seem important for those that haven't had a chance to try these aft cabins yet to hear that the perceived value is significantly higher in the minds of those of us who have been fortunate enough to give them a shot, giving them an incentive to investigate them. Those that can't justify the differential on a particular trip might be willing to pony up the difference should they have this as an option.

Canderson, I would not disagree with your cabin summary at all, but I think the point made by CaliforniaDreamin and claud925 was more along the lines of "it's not what you say, but the way that you say it" and what value it adds to the topic.

Phil

Phil -- it was the following comment by CAdreamin

" Please, let everyone enjoy the staterooms they are in without opiniated descriptions. "

that caught my eye. On the face of it, it didn't seem to make sense in the context of the OP's question or the overall discussion. An individual determination of value is by nature going to be an "opinionated description", and some feel fairly strong about the difference in value, as do I.

As to the post that noted that some can't book early enough to score one of these cabins -- and apart from the fact that we booked our last one about 6 weeks prior to our 4/9 cruise date from a regular storefront TA, I'd like to note the following:

Over the last several weeks I've been looking into several anomolies related to the availability and pricing of cabins, and I think I have started to find some answers for which I've been searching for some time.

I've pointed out that even after the pricing policy changes, some careful shopping can still net you a substantially better price than the current Celebrity pricing on some cruises clear out into 2006. The same holds true for cabin selection, and for the same reason. There are one or more TA's out there who are gambling their own cash in an attempt to hold down prices as Celebrity increases theirs, and are earning some serious customer loyalty by delivering not only the prices but some of the "choice" cabins as well, including CC afts. Rather than pocketing the difference, they're using that difference as a tool to increase overall sales volume. This only works on selected cruises where the TA has determined in advance that there's a good chance Celebrity will be cranking up rates on both direct and TA bookings on cruises that will eventually sell out.

My advice -- Do NOT quit shopping, either as regards price or your preference in cabins.

Canderson, once again I agree with your facts and what you are saying, but I think the point made by the two posters was in response to MACOP's continued snobbish and condescending overtones and attitude that they and I find offensive.

Phil

Phil, I agree. It's getting old. She says it over and over and over. 23_50_1.gif

Garry

canderson,

I do know how to spell "opinionated" just mistyped it, thanks. I do agree with much you have to say and respect your opinions. Your comments on my post were interesting. Who here is always on topic with clear statements other than you? Many, many posts wander so far the topic is completely lost. I'll try to do better, OK.

Now, to clarify, I only object to the label of "very poor stateroom" being used to describe the regular CC cabin. Many people would be happy to have one of these. With only 12 aft CC cabins many will have to book a regular CC cabin or lower or not cruise. It doesn's make sense to call someone else's "home away from home" a "very poor stateroom"

It is what it is, a 191 sq ft cabin with a 41 sq ft balcony in most cases. Take it or leave it. So, I say, let people look forward to their cruise in these cabins without labeling their cabin as very poor.

Archived